CadillacMatt

Don't know how I survived on these

Removed my last two rims yesterday to put the stocks back on... been having very bad vibration the past couple months I chalked it up to an alignment issue until I took the tires off and saw this:

Tire 1:

IMG00186-20100629-1606.jpg

IMG00187-20100629-1606.jpg

Tire 2:

IMG00188-20100629-1606.jpg

IMG00189-20100629-1606.jpg

IMG00190-20100629-1607.jpg

I'm just amazed that these didn't blow out on me with all this highway driving I've been doing!

:ohnoes9: You're a lucky man!

:ohnoes9:

Yeah well the one that looks like lumpy porridge was on the same side as the pothole I hit about a month ago, and the other one I can't really explain what happened or what caused it to get like that, I still need to get the alignment done I think that might've caused excessive wear on one side of the tire

Edited by CadillacMatt

Yeah well the one that looks like lumpy porridge was on the same side as the pothole I hit about a month ago, and the other one I can't really explain what happened or what caused it to get like that, I still need to get the alignment done I think that might've caused excessive wear on one side of the tire

That's exactly what did it. Misalignment causes extra wear on the inside or outside of the tread.

OUCH! :suicide-santa:

I drive even slower now after seeing this thread.

luckly for me I dont have rims and my ex manager that Im cool with is a manager at Discount Tire

Ive seen nothing but bad things with those federal super steel tires.. Good thing it didnt blow and messed up your wheels!!

Ive seen nothing but bad things with those federal super steel tires.. Good thing it didnt blow and messed up your wheels!!

I don't know anything about the tires, never heard of anything about them. But I can tell you this was not the tires' fault at all. The one in the top pictures with the cuts on the sidewall was ran flat. You can tell because there's a little indentured/wear ring in the middle of the sidewall. That only happens when a tire is ran flat because of the way the sidewall bends when it has no air and how the rim exerts pressure from the weight of the car on the tire. Also, no tire regularly wears like that on just one side. That's all the suspension's fault.

I don't know anything about the tires, never heard of anything about them. But I can tell you this was not the tires' fault at all. The one in the top pictures with the cuts on the sidewall was ran flat. You can tell because there's a little indentured/wear ring in the middle of the sidewall. That only happens when a tire is ran flat because of the way the sidewall bends when it has no air and how the rim exerts pressure from the weight of the car on the tire. Also, no tire regularly wears like that on just one side. That's all the suspension's fault.

do you have some camber on the rear/all tires.

That can eat the inside of a tire up in a heartbeat!

Nope that tire was not run flat. It held pressure up until the day I took it off.