hi i bought a btl 15 fully loaded just wonderin what gauge size the wires should be

[quote name=grambo623' date='06 July 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1278454187' post='678240

Hi, I bought a 15" BTL fully loaded and I was wondering, what gauge of speaker wire i should be using.

Fixed

wires for what? the speaker wires?

yes i bought a hifonics hfi 2000 my friend said to use 8 gauge speaker wire but i think thats to big

bigger doesnt hurt but isnt necessary.

typical 12awg or even 14awg is fine.

12ga is fine

12 gauge will be sufficient enough!

Man dont listen to these guys, go big or go home 4 gauge FTW and the extra DBzzzzzzzzzz. :suicide-santa:

10-14 gauge will be fine, you can use 8 gauge if you want but you will have to wire each terminal directly to the amp. So smaller gauge is acceptable and wont hurt performance at all. :drink40:

Someone should probably ask how long the run is going to be on this.

How long is the wire between the amp and the sub?

It doesn't even matter. 12 gauge is fine. Do you have a different answer for if he says 3 ft. vs 6 ft?

It doesn't even matter. 12 gauge is fine. Do you have a different answer for if he says 3 ft. vs 6 ft?

:werd_msword:

Unless he plans to wrap the wire around his vehicle a few times for shits and giggles, it's not really going to matter.

:werd_msword:

Unless he plans to wrap the wire around his vehicle a few times for shits and giggles, it's not really going to matter.

Iron Core Inductor FTW!

LOL, it took me a minute to get that. But once I did, it was funny.

I didn't figure many would get that, but I knew you would.

12ga is fine

can i grab speaker wire from canadian tire or a top company does it matter

Wire is wire, to an extent.

The main differences in wire are going to be the actual thickness of the wire cable itself, some low end brands will use smaller physical wire with a thicker jacket. So it may be labeled 12ga, but the physical wire may be equivalent to 14ga or 16ga. Second is going to be the number of strands. The only thing the number of strands really matters for is flexibility; the more strands, generally the more flexible. Not a major problem for smaller gauge wire, though. Third is the material used to make the wire. I guess I can't say off hand that I've seen any smaller gauge wire that's not actual copper, though I'm sure it exists just as it does for power wire. Some wire is actually copper clad aluminum (CCA) instead of actual copper. CCA has less current capabilities.

But as long as the wire is copper, the proper actual gauge and flexible enough for your needs.....yes, wire is wire.

Man dont listen to these guys, go big or go home 4 gauge FTW and the extra DBzzzzzzzzzz. :suicide-santa:

10-14 gauge will be fine, you can use 8 gauge if you want but you will have to wire each terminal directly to the amp. So smaller gauge is acceptable and wont hurt performance at all. :drink40:

so i would just have to 2 positives and 2 negatives goin from sub to amp not the regulare dual 2 ohm setup