CadillacMatt

RIP to my Q's...

Just another fail in the recent line of events affecting my car... Immediately realized I'd blown one woofer the other night when it stopped playing and the car filled up with a sickening burning scent, pulled the box out today only to discover not only did I have one crunchy woofer, but other one was not far behind!

These woofers have more than fulfilled my expectations and have had a long healthy life of two years, no BP Option, run at 100W over spec. Kudos to Fi for building such solid woofers. So now, I sit bassless... thinking about my next project!! I love the output these guys had, but I also missed my trunk space... many times a spare tire would've come in handy! I was thinking about for my next build (later this year or early next year) going with a single woofer, like a beefed up 12" BTL, and throwing 3000W at it maybe from a SAZ-3000 or the like. Anybody gone from two big woofers to a smaller, but more powerful woofer, and can give me a comparison on the output/sound? Thanks...

Just some final pics....

This is not the crunchy woofer I was taken by surprise when I saw this. Spider about 80% seperated from the cone

IMG00212-20100706-1741.jpg

Taking this beast out of the car. Almost threw my back trying to drag it up the stairs

IMG00210-20100706-1732.jpg

IMG00214-20100706-1743.jpg

Damn bro, sorry to hear that! Those were such great sounding speakers too. Maybe I'll convince my lady friend to buy the box off you. She just bought a green '96 Deville just like yours.

i have a 18 inch sundown.. custom ready for 3K daily

RIP! buy johns 18. it bangs good :peepwall:

Damn bro, sorry to hear that! Those were such great sounding speakers too. Maybe I'll convince my lady friend to buy the box off you. She just bought a green '96 Deville just like yours.

Yeah they were... but it's just the bass gods' way of telling me I need to go louder. lol!

Sounds good and all that man but that would defeat the purpose of me getting any kind of trunk space back... plus 18's aren't really made for trunks anyhow... thanks tho!

A Nightshade 18" requires much less space ;)

Just out of curiosity what are the recommended enclosure dimensions on that shmoofer? Thanks

Edited by CadillacMatt

Jacob recommends 4-5 cubes.

whatever setup u get next, i would start to push yourself to monitor your setup better because the same thing can\will happen again.

i haven't accidentally damaged a subwoofer in 7yrs and my previous setup was running 7x worth of power than recommended. You have to know what you have on hand and how it will react once your sub(s) start moving.

Spider rip is caused from moving too much. That means one of several things-

Internal volume too big

Subsonic not up enough

Demoing your vehicle with the trunk open

Scorching your other sub from the amp you have clearly seems like hellacious clipping.

Not all subs are the same. I've purposely stress tested some subs before in full clipping for over a minute until they start to cook bad without failure. the smell is outrageous. you know what it smells like so be careful in the future. Any sign of stress means turn it down immediately.

Just a fyi..

You got the CA hot enough to melt and fail...there is a very good sized glue joint underneath the dustcap and all of the spiders are laminated together...

You got it hot enough to vaporize the CA on the joint...because the CA isn't on the former anymore :)

Little happy with the knobs perhaps? :)

these subs laster 2 years of playing hard!

i give them a round of applause!

i dont know. i like things to last forever or at least as long as safely possible.

I still have an original AQ HD3 made in USA back in 2003 still on me.

It's been in 2 different installs i've done and in the hands of another competitor. Accepted power from 1500 up to 6000w and still is fine.

Subs aren't cheap so i wont go crazy with them.. even if u think i am, hehe.

Just a fyi..

You got the CA hot enough to melt and fail...there is a very good sized glue joint underneath the dustcap and all of the spiders are laminated together...

You got it hot enough to vaporize the CA on the joint...because the CA isn't on the former anymore :)

Little happy with the knobs perhaps? :)

holy crap lol!

Thanks for the advice Shizzon it is always welcome... but like I said... my purpose is not to undermine the quality of these subs or to push blame on anybody else but myself... Nick you guys do excellent work up there.

I recently installed a new head unit and that night I was playing them particularly hard they were only on that new HU for about a week, I realize I should've re-adjusted the gains just like you would re-balance/re-align your suspension with a new set of tires, I got a little trigger happy. I can assure you no bass boost was involved in this but Crown Royal was ;) The HU is new but it is a cheaper brand so in the future I will definitely monitor it more closely, I have a feeling that it was putting out a distorted signal directly from the HU and I have it run through an active crossover so that most likely magnified the problem...

C'est la vie!

Edited by CadillacMatt

or you can buy 1 of my shades!!! :D

C'est la vie !

lol

If you know that won't happen again, good !!!

I'd rather sell my woofer to get another than blow it !

Yo'd better be more careful bro !!!

peepwall.gif

The 18" nightshade in 4 cu ft on 3000 watts : that will hit hard !trink40.gif

Fortunately I have never accidentally killed any driver. I have fried a few on purpose, just for a goof though.

I'm driving up to San Marcos here in a bit to scope out that Nightshade...

Anybody be interested in the motor/baskets from the Q's? Nothing wrong with them, recone kits are $90 from Fi.

Anybody be interested in the motor/baskets from the Q's? Nothing wrong with them, recone kits are $90 from Fi.

Qs are sold!!!!!!

That all worked out pretty well. haha.

Gotta help homeboy buy his new sub! :drink40:

IMG00214-20100706-1743.jpg

Wait, a brown beer bottle!?!?!?!?!

So much for the Dos Equis my friend :ehh:

Qs are sold!!!!!!

lol beat me to it thanks Steve.

Dang all this peer pressure it's like I'm trying to quit smoking for a while and you guys are waving cigs in my face... lol jk ;)

I still don't know how I'm going to integrate an 18" woofer into a car trunk. I would have to build a sub top, port front box or something like that right?

What dimensions do you have to work with?