Sign in to follow this  
joshtazz

Need some helkp on tweeters

i have a pair of diamond audio s600 hex 6.5 speakers and recently the tweeters blew....i am using the supplied crossover.....i have tried to find replacement tweets but have had no luck......so my question is does any one know where i could get some or can i use a dif brand thanks.

Some seas tweeters or audax tweeters should sound great they sel them at madisound.com also parts express has some good tweeters, I am currently runing some Dayton audio 1 1/8 silk dome tweeters and they sound great. Hope this helps.

It's possible to use different tweeters, but not just any tweeter will work.

You would need to find out the crossover point and slope as well as what impedance tweeter the crossover was designed to work with. Also if it has a tweeter attenuation circuit, it may not be as accurate depending on different factors.

Those tweeters may have been OEM'd for them by another company. You may try to ask Diamond and see if they were based on any particular model from one of the main buildhouses.

On another note take a look at this ->Problem blowing tweeters? Try this.....

I'm not sure exactly what they do to help, but Bose, Phoenix Gold, Polk Audio and many other manufacturers use the same technique to protect the tweeters in their speaker systems. It could help save you from this problem in the future.

The purpose behind the light bulb is to protect the tweeter from being over powered. Once power reaches a level sufficient to begin lighting the bulb, the resistance of the filament will begin to increase. Due to a portion of power from the amplifier being wasted as heat by the bulb and the resistance of the circuit increasing, the power being delivered to the tweeter is reduced...ideally keeping the tweeter from being thermally overpowered and damaged.

If you are actually blowing the bulb, then it's effectively acting like a fuse. Rather than simply lighting to reduce the power applied to the tweeter, the light bulb is being overpowered and blowing. You're either using too much power (possibly clipping), or the size light bulb is too small and could be probably be increased some.

k thanks for all the help.......

IM REALLY LOOKING INTO A SET OF TWEETS THAT come with a crossover...

are these any good...........http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PAIR-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-P1T-S-1-CAR-TWEETERS-P1TS-/350373394185?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5193e1b709

and when i do the lightbulb thing does it have to be near tweeter caus ei dont have a whole lot of room to work with..

The purpose behind the light bulb is to protect the tweeter from being over powered. Once power reaches a level sufficient to begin lighting the bulb, the resistance of the filament will begin to increase. Due to a portion of power from the amplifier being wasted as heat by the bulb and the resistance of the circuit increasing, the power being delivered to the tweeter is reduced...ideally keeping the tweeter from being thermally overpowered and damaged.

If you are actually blowing the bulb, then it's effectively acting like a fuse. Rather than simply lighting to reduce the power applied to the tweeter, the light bulb is being overpowered and blowing. You're either using too much power (possibly clipping), or the size light bulb is too small and could be probably be increased some.

Thank you for the explanation on how they work. I figured it was something along those lines but wasn't completely sure. I must say the only time I've ever noticed them begining to light is when the volume is just shy of the shuttle launching setpoint. The strangest part is that in my van there WAS a Hifonics ZXi6006 running the components with a rated 150 watts per channel, but in a friend's car with the exact same bulbs on a Powerbass 700.5 which is only 50 watts per channel, in both vehicles the lights would only begin to light at the very top of the volume level. This has led me to believe for quite some time that they responded to distortion more than the total power running through the circuit. It could have more to do with the frequencies the passive crossover's crossed at since he does have PG RSD's where I have the Hifonics Atlas components. At any rate, I'm glad someone has the knowledge of what these really are doing in the circuit.

are these any good...........http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PAIR-ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-P1T-S-1-CAR-TWEETERS-P1TS-/350373394185?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5193e1b709

and when i do the lightbulb thing does it have to be near tweeter caus ei dont have a whole lot of room to work with..

I can't help you any with those particular tweeters, never played with them, sorry. However, on the light bulbs, it doesn't matter where they are in the wire. They could be next to the crossover, next to the tweeter, or anywhere in between. Just whatever point is easiest to install them in. I installed them so that they would be hidden up under the dash where if they did flash it wouldn't be very noticeable. The only time's I've ever blown them has been after I got my KDC-X991 HU, the volume on it has a tendency to increase or decrease at an extremely fast rate when you hold the button on the remote control. Each time the bulbs have blown was when it went from the teens to 35 in the blink of an eye.

Thank you for the explanation on how they work. I figured it was something along those lines but wasn't completely sure. I must say the only time I've ever noticed them begining to light is when the volume is just shy of the shuttle launching setpoint. The strangest part is that in my van there WAS a Hifonics ZXi6006 running the components with a rated 150 watts per channel, but in a friend's car with the exact same bulbs on a Powerbass 700.5 which is only 50 watts per channel, in both vehicles the lights would only begin to light at the very top of the volume level. This has led me to believe for quite some time that they responded to distortion more than the total power running through the circuit. It could have more to do with the frequencies the passive crossover's crossed at since he does have PG RSD's where I have the Hifonics Atlas components. At any rate, I'm glad someone has the knowledge of what these really are doing in the circuit.

I can't help you any with those particular tweeters, never played with them, sorry. However, on the light bulbs, it doesn't matter where they are in the wire. They could be next to the crossover, next to the tweeter, or anywhere in between. Just whatever point is easiest to install them in. I installed them so that they would be hidden up under the dash where if they did flash it wouldn't be very noticeable. The only time's I've ever blown them has been after I got my KDC-X991 HU, the volume on it has a tendency to increase or decrease at an extremely fast rate when you hold the button on the remote control. Each time the bulbs have blown was when it went from the teens to 35 in the blink of an eye.

k thanks is there any u would reconend id like to sta ubder 100 without shippingand i can supply up too 400 rms if neccasary