stevemead08

Door pod idea

I just picked up a set a focal components and was wondering what the seasoned guys on here would suggest.

My problem is i dont have room to build large pods outside the doors to house the 6.5.

Could i use like a 6 inch pvc pipe and seal up the back side of it and glass up a front baffle to mount to the door skin at the factory location.

I have about 7 inches between the outer and inner door skins and no window interference. I want the best sound out of these without building pods outside the door panel. Is this going to be enought volume or should i go a different route.

Thanks guys.

Take a look at Sir-Lancelot's build log. I think his doors are similar to yours.

Take a look at Sir-Lancelot's build log. I think his doors are similar to yours.

My doors are quite diffrerent. i dont have a removable grill i can build into like his. im trying to do this without cutting my door panels

Post some pics of the door. It will be easier to recommend something.

Im working on it. thanks

Without seeing the doors i just need to know if my idea would have enough volume

Most times those speakers are mounted in the doors in an IB setup. I would would not seal them up as it might affect your midbass output.

silveradoproject038.jpgsilveradoproject040.jpgHere is an idea of what they look like.

I thought i would lose output running them IB

By cutting off those plastic pieces in your last pic, you maybe able to make a mdf baffle and mount that to the door itself and see if the panel fits over that.

By cutting off those plastic pieces in your last pic, you maybe able to make a mdf baffle and mount that to the door itself and see if the panel fits over that.

I had to cut those off because i had 8s in the doors with 3/4 mdf baffles.

I would try IB first. It looks like you have more than enough room for the pvc idea you had.

I would mount a MDF baffle to the door then put a 6.5" MDF ring on that and mount up your mid.

Seal it up with deadener, clay, and ensolite.

My doors are going a different route. 10" B&C Neo. LOL

Shitty Blackberry pic.

img00040201008292241.jpg

Alright thank guys. looks like i need to call don and get more deadener. Time to try to peel the Fatmat off and do it right. :noob:

Definitely mount them to the metal (using a baffle) and don't bother with the Ensolite it is ONLY good for stopping rattling between two surfaces that are rubbing each other. Nearly any foam will do that.

I have a rather large opening in my door skin. do i just cover the hole with tiles?

If it real big, you may want to cover it with some tin or aluminum then deaden that.

If it real big, you may want to cover it with some tin or aluminum then deaden that.

I have some 1/8 diamond plate aluminum scrap i could use.

Sir-lancelot, what are you doing with your 3-ways?

You may try building a couple test pods the volume you are suggesting sealing the driver at. This would let you hear how they sound compared to IB, BEFORE doing any work to your door.

I have some 1/8 diamond plate aluminum scrap i could use.

Sir-lancelot, what are you doing with your 3-ways?

That would work. You just need to give the hole some stability as deadener alone wont offer any support. Then deadener on that to stop any resonance.

Dont know man. I am sad to see them go, but there is no way they can keep up with 4 18's. I will miss them.. I can tell you that, but in the same breath excited about doing something new.

Most times those speakers are mounted in the doors in an IB setup. I would would not seal them up as it might affect your midbass output.

Actually, in most cases it will help midbass response. There's an article here Car Audio & Electronics - Midbass Response that goes into some good simple explanation on it. It follows the same principal of any speaker box design. The smaller the enclosure is the further up the frequency scale it peaks at. By building the enclosures in the .3cuft area (not exact science but a good general place to start) that moves the peak response into the midbass region greatly improving the impact and overall output response. Of course this is very general and doesn't apply perfectly in every case. jroadtatts can give some insight in the difference in the response from IB to .5 to .25 as he recently did some testing for that purpose. I believe he found with the Aura's he still got the best overall response IB but you have to remember he was testing with 10" and 12" drivers as well.

I am going for faithful sound reprodution, is the biggest reason I stayed with the IB. I did think the very small sealed enclosure boosted the low end alot, as the modeling program and higher Qtc had predicted.

I think the biggest thing to remember is you are changing the FR of the driver when you go sealed. SO I suggest you try testing first with the drivers in question and decide if you like the new FR.

Or run the driver through a model program, and try to reproduce the same results with the EQ, to see if you like the sound.