Sign in to follow this  
chainsaw

Where is a good place to buy wire?

I am adding a second battery and a bigger amp. I need about 25 feet of 1/0 wire. My question is whats the best place to get it from? Also, I see people not liking KnuKonceptz wire. What is up with that?

Is it really not worth the $1.75 a foot they want? Is it better to buy from a welding supply company for about $2 a foot? I know these probably sound dumb, but I've only dealt with 4 gauge in the past, which you can get anywhere.

Thanx guys

I was using KnuKonceptz Kolossus wire and had no problems with it at all and switched to welding wire from weldingsupply.com, personal preference really but I like the welding wire better. Replacing all my wire with welding wire since I gotta new crimping tool as well I wanted to replace the old wire anyway.

You cant go wrong either way man.

I use KnuKonceptz and never had any problems with it. I have it in 1/0 and 4 gauge. Good shxt.

update. I found a welding company it Baton Rouge that sells 1/0 for $2.88/foot. I bought 25.

Check out kmart.com They have some good wiring kits for pretty cheap.

Pretty sure Kmart does not have 0/1. :suicide-santa:

The less expensive 0/1 from Knu is not copper, it is copper clad aluminum. Look at the 100% copper price for an apples to apples comparison.

weldingsupply.com

ppl don't like knu b/c they don't use 100% copper and i believe someone did a write up on copper vs copper clad stuff.

but with that being said i have alway used knu wiring and i have never seen an issue. keep in mind knu wire is thicker then normal 1/0 wire.

the argument is 1/0 copper is able to move the current faster and better without heating up but copper clad (with aluminum strands and copper coating) will heat up more then 100% copper would but knu tries to off set this difference but making there 1/0 over sized! (the kolossus is the one i am referring to)

here i found the link take a look tell me what you think! also keep in mind ppl don't pound there system full tilt for 30mins plus! (which i believe is the length of time used in this study)