sundownz

Prototype Z v.3 Testing

Are you willing to talk about that in depth here on the forum? If so can you better explain the difference if you dont mind? Is it basic like 1 is for daily 1 is for daily/light competition and 1 is for spl only or how does the 3 options work? Will these have just basic coil options? Meaning D2 an D4?

This is how it works.

Spider 1 -- Smaller OD (7" landing) -- 10" and 12" Z v.3

* Has really deep rolls to get good excursion from this size spider -- this give more cone to spider distance than an 8" spider... I've always hated 10s and 12s because the spider is SO close to the cone and rubs together.

Spider 2 -- Standard OD (8" landing) -- 15" Z v.3

* A 15" has plenty of room for an 8" spider

Spider 3 -- Extra Large OD (9.25" landing) -- 18" Z v.3

* The 6-spoke has a bigger landing so we are taking advantage of it fully... this spider will allow ~40mm or so one way without must issue -- well beyond the motor capacity.

Depends on what size you are getting as to what spider it is. Every one of these spiders is extremely rugged.

Coils will be D1 and D2 coils -- made in USA coils that we ship to our factory.

The Z v.3 12" looks very nice, what is the estimate motor width and mounting depth Jake?

and what's the estimate price?

thanks.

A few pre-production changes are going on...

1) I am changing these to 8-layer flat aluminum coils from the currently tested 4-layer round aluminum coils.

2) This will raise the cost to about the same as the Z v.2 price now, so they won't be cheaper now -- these coils are about 2.5x more expensive than the 4-layer round units.

Good news is they provide enough benefit that I decided to go this route on the driver for the stock coil :) I am sure nobody will be let down by the added benefit.

Otherwise the pictured units with chrome motors are what will be produced.

when will they be available?

I am expecting 1 or 2 sizes by early summer.

Damn you jacob! i need two 18's before Feb 1'st lol

when will they be available?

I am expecting 1 or 2 sizes by early summer.

Damn you jacob! i need two 18's before Feb 1'st lol

Sorry -- working as fast as I can !

any chance 10s will be of those 2 sizes by early summer :popcorn:

10s will be the last size to come out -- they are the lowest seller.

any chance 10s will be of those 2 sizes by early summer :popcorn:

10s will be the last size to come out -- they are the lowest seller.

how much 1 way mm xmax will the 18 be expected to have?

I built a Z v.3 12" with production coil -- with about 5 minutes of break-in :

RE: 4.01 ohms (D2 coil)

FS: 45.68 Hz

Qes: 0.4995

Qms: 4.3798

Qts: 0.4484

Le: 5.54 mH

Vas: 13.85 L

BL: 24.50

Mms: 260g

Cms: 46.64 uM/N

Sens: 85.97 dB 1w/1m

BL^2/RE: 150

Specs are not too far off the original NS v.1 model... basically a very well rounded daily sub with great SPL potential to boot. The linear x-max by 70% BL is 23.5mm one-way as well.

I am very satisfied with this result... the coil is now an 8-layer flat coil with 60mm WW (20% longer than NS v.1) made in the USA and sent to our factory in China. So what we have here is a driver that will out-perform the NS v.1 thermally, be close to it in SPL, and cost less money :) I can't complain !

:attempt:

When is the preorder?

I am finalizing some of the tooling for the spacers and also a few more minor surround and cone details then we can start running some of these for production... it is looking like 18s and maybe 15s as well will come first.

Once my new cone body / surround samples arrive -- if they are fully approved -- we can begin on these!

Sounds like a winner.

Specs are not too far off the original NS v.1 model... basically a very well rounded daily sub with great SPL potential to boot. The linear x-max by 70% BL is 23.5mm one-way as well.

I am very satisfied with this result... the coil is now an 8-layer flat coil with 60mm WW (20% longer than NS v.1) made in the USA and sent to our factory in China. So what we have here is a driver that will out-perform the NS v.1 thermally, be close to it in SPL, and cost less money :) I can't complain !

Coincidentally, my truck that will be at your shop on Friday happens to have an NSv1 12 in it that might like to be replaced by a Zv3 12......

Already thinking of changing from SA15's to Z18's :peepwall: Damn you Jacob!!

Coincidentally, my truck that will be at your shop on Friday happens to have an NSv1 12 in it that might like to be replaced by a Zv3 12......

We can try it out.

Nice Jacob, I am sure these will do great!

We can try it out.

Let do it. I won't have time to install the new batteries in there I don't think. Maybe, we'll figure it out.