Aaron Clinton

Iridium Spark Plugs

I am considering ordering some new plugs for the Mazda, and I have not used Iridium plugs before. I have used platinum in the past on a few vehicles and liked the mild results. I know some mechanics are dead set on not using plugs that are not OEM, where as there are tuner guys that swear by them. So I wanted to see if there was any feedback I could draw upon and see if it is worth ordering up 4 of them. :)

is this for daily or competition?

Come on now! We need more info that that...

This isn't a VS thread is it? Platinum vs Iridium? hehe

is this for daily or competition?

Come on now! We need more info that that...

This isn't a VS thread is it? Platinum vs Iridium? hehe

Daily driver, 4 cylinder, would be nice if MPG and HP picked up a tiny bit. :)

I use the Iridium spark plugs for our jeeps and two stroke dirt bikes and love them. We've never fouled a plug on the dirt bikes, and the spark plugs are always good when replaced.

On a couple forums i read, crxcommunityforum and d-series. net, they both highly recommend NGK v-power. They are about 2$ each, while the more expensive (~10$ each) aren't worth it.

I'm not sure if the brand would be the same, but the idea may still be there.

I use the iridium ones made by NGK and I think they are about $8-$10 each, but imo it's worth it.

something like spark plugs, that are going to last years between replacements, I can see paying more for, because they are essential to the car's basic function and you don't want them to mess up. I'd say go with the iridium.

I am one of those oem people, but I would recomend no matter what you decide to go with the NGK brand of plug.

just put in some Denso IK20 into my Toy Cam 4cyl the other day. They are Iridium and have noticed a few more miles in the past 2-3 weeks since I installed them. go Iridium, like was said. they don't get replaced often and are part of basic function but I wouldn't spend more than 12 a piece... $50 is max, picked mine up from the tropical sort of site and only paid about $10 each.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. I saw these Pulse plugs, but they seemed to have gotten mixed reviews. Surprised to see no Champion plug people. For the most part, I have used Bosch in the past.

I change my plugs every year, so I use the best plug ever made, the simple, cheap, copper plug. The ONLY positive thing about the different metal plugs are the fact that you can run them for tens of thousands, some even hundreds of thousands, of miles before a change. The metals are harder and do no degrade or corrode as easily as copper. They do not deliver any better performance and could even hinder it slightly. Think about it. . .

Do you run copper wire to speakers or do you use iridium or platinum? Which is the better conductor? The same applies to plugs and wires, hell any electrical part of the vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. I saw these Pulse plugs, but they seemed to have gotten mixed reviews. Surprised to see no Champion plug people. For the most part, I have used Bosch in the past.

Champion spark plugs are simply not what they used to be IMO. I am around A LOT of guys who build muscle cars that are everything from mild streeters to all out strip only drag racers. Most of them use NGK plugs, some Denso's and a brand or two I've never heard of. Most would be embarrassed if anyone saw them with Bosch plugs in their cars. They really don't like them at all. Personally, ever since I used to race motocross I became a believer and lifetime user of NGK. I'd recommend using anything in the NGK lineup, you won't be sorry. As far as the Iridium's, I have a set in the van. There was a noticeable difference in the throttle response and the was a few added miles per tank. That's my .02

I change my plugs every year, so I use the best plug ever made, the simple, cheap, copper plug. The ONLY positive thing about the different metal plugs are the fact that you can run them for tens of thousands, some even hundreds of thousands, of miles before a change. The metals are harder and do no degrade or corrode as easily as copper. They do not deliver any better performance and could even hinder it slightly.

:+1: :+1: :+1: