HawkEye

Box Building Question

Hey all.I REALLY want to build my own box but im worried that it would be to hard to do.I would like a simple dual 15" ported box for my type r 15's.I just don't know if its something I can tackle or not.So my question is in your guys eyes on a scale of 1-10 1 being easy as pie 10 being hard as can be,how tough is it to build a ported box?Also is there like a site or something that can help me with a design and other stuff like that?Thanks

Would you have a budget for buying a custom made enclosure?

It's a piece of cake to build an enclosure, erm, a piece of MDF or two :)

If you have any mechanical ability at all and the tools, then yes it's a piece of wood!

Seriously, build your own box; it's a life experience! You can do it if you want, you just have to want to do it.

Go forth, and may thy hands be coated in the sweet sticky mulch of MDF dust and wood glue. :drink40:

If you have any mechanical ability at all and the tools, then yes it's a piece of cake!

You mean wood :)

If you have any mechanical ability at all and the tools, then yes it's a piece of wood!

:woot: Fixed!

Alright cool.I think I will take a shot at making my own then.I am wanting to build me a box fo my type r 15's as I stated above.Alpine recommends 2.9 cubic feet per sub so I was going to do 3.0 cubic feet per sub.Would it make any difference if I had more cubic feet or should I just stick with 3 per sub?Also how do I figure out how big my port needs to be?Thanks

I'd rather go with the cake. MDF is great for boxes, bad for food.

Alright cool.I think I will take a shot at making my own then.I am wanting to build me a box fo my type r 15's as I stated above.Alpine recommends 2.9 cubic feet per sub so I was going to do 3.0 cubic feet per sub.Would it make any difference if I had more cubic feet or should I just stick with 3 per sub?Also how do I figure out how big my port needs to be?Thanks

For some reason I recall that the type r's like a little bit bigger enclosures than recommended, but I could be wrong. When in doubt, do what the manufacturer says and hope they're right. I guess I'd shoot for 3 per sub.

3 per sub should be pretty nice, going over the rec. a bit is never bad.

And building the box should be pretty easy, just take your time and it should come out nicely.

DON'T be discouraged if your first box doesn't come out as planned. The more boxes you build the better you'll get.

Good luck! :fing34:

(pics will be nice also ;) )

download winISD to figure out port length. Or use any other port calculator on the internet. If you use winISD and just want to know how specs for the port, you can use any driver. Just pick one, doesn't matter. Tuning is only a function of the box volume and port specs, the driver has nothing to do with it. So that's easy enough. Just remember that port and sub displacement must get added onto the net volume you enter into these calculators. So you'll plug in 6 cubic feet for the box volume in the program, but you'll have to add in sub displacement and whatever port displacement from the dimensions the program gives you. So your box may be 9-10 cubic feet total.

As for actually building the box, it's about a 3 on the hardness scale. It just really helps if you have a really long clamp or two, or else another pair of hands to hold panels together as you screw them together to let the glue dry.

Can anybody make a list of the basic tools that will get you by in a build?

I use a skill saw, jig saw, drill, pencil and an aluminum straight edge Ruler ( yard stick )

so that and some clamps, glue, and screws pretty much covers it? Skill saw is the table or handheld version?

Edited by crunkjuice1

Don't forget caulk to seal up the box too. Hand held for me. Ill use the table saw for smaller cuts like 45's for the corners. Clamps of course. I have the 90 degree clamps and regular pressure clamps. I use drywall screws and I always use Titebond III wood glue. I use the jig saw for the circles but if you have access to a plunge router I would highly recommend using it.

Its easier to just buy a quality box, but even if my boxes turn out less then perfect I'm still happy because I built it. Its a fun process too! :) WAY cheaper to build your own too.

Thats exactly what me and OP want to experience and it looks like a great hobby :fing34: