Punkeyboozter

FI For home use?

Ive been contemplating this recently and was wondering how the Fi would do in home audio?

I am considering a a IB or a Q but then again I have a spare BL just sitting here. Which would work best and how well will they really perform. Lets be honest here I want loud and good sounding in my car but for home use I am more focused on SQ then breaking things.

Thanks

build a box for your bl and try it. See what you think; if you don't like it, try something new. I could tell you that it will sound great, but when you do it it could sound like poo. Who are we to tell you what you like to listen to? :D

build a box for your bl and try it. See what you think; if you don't like it, try something new. I could tell you that it will sound great, but when you do it it could sound like poo. Who are we to tell you what you like to listen to? :D

wow thanks for the fast reply. I love the sound of the BL in my car. Had both in there but had to cut down to make space for the baby's gear. I should have mentioned its a D1 not so sure about home amps but I suspect running 2ohms stable might be a problem?

In the SQ environment which is considered better IB or sealed box regardless of all the veriables?

thanks

For music or movies?

A BL can work for HT. But your issue is the D1 coil. Going to be hard pressed to find a 2 Ohm mono amp... and seems somewhat a waste to run a 2 Ohm channel off of a prosound amp.

Q is fairly standard for HT use. We have many BTLs out there in large low tuned systems doing amazing things for HT. IB3 is widely used in HT in multiples, but does take a little home modification to get them installed. Since the IB3 is designed for Infinite Baffle use, there is no true box reinforcement to the system (only isolation of rear wave) and you do not get as much output per displacement. But what you do get is ultra clean effortless bass (hence the reason why people normally do 4 or more at a time).

We will have some dedicated HT drivers in a couple of weeks :) Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Guys...

It will mostly be for Music but it might see the odd movie. I am currently house shopping so changing things wont be a problem but Im sure my wife will kill me with 4 18" holes for a IB in our living room haha. I will keep my eyes open for the upcoming woofers. I dont need a boat load of base but accurate base with some headroom for some party music would be good.

A BL can work for HT. But your issue is the D1 coil. Going to be hard pressed to find a 2 Ohm mono amp... and seems somewhat a waste to run a 2 Ohm channel off of a prosound amp.

Q is fairly standard for HT use. We have many BTLs out there in large low tuned systems doing amazing things for HT. IB3 is widely used in HT in multiples, but does take a little home modification to get them installed. Since the IB3 is designed for Infinite Baffle use, there is no true box reinforcement to the system (only isolation of rear wave) and you do not get as much output per displacement. But what you do get is ultra clean effortless bass (hence the reason why people normally do 4 or more at a time).

We will have some dedicated HT drivers in a couple of weeks :) Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Scott

Il be interested in that ht specific driver. I was just about to build a ht sub but it looks like il have to wait a bit now :) to the OP: I am using a q 18 as my ht sub temporarily untill I have the cash for an amp, then it's going in my car. But all I can say, it works amazingly for ht and music. Was thinking about buying another for my ht actualy.

Amongst all of the other driver changes we have, we are adding a new/old HT company to the mix with a 4" and 3" coiled lines that feature single 4 and 2 Ohm coils along with an ancillary Q adjusting coil. We will be moving the IB3 line over to this co. and finally bring the IB2 line out (we have done the IB2 drivers for specific people and applications but never offered it to the HT masses).

Working on that site too and things should be up in a couple of weeks. These drivers are more "standard" items and will be stocked and should ship same or next day.

Thanks,

Scott

Amongst all of the other driver changes we have, we are adding a new/old HT company to the mix with a 4" and 3" coiled lines that feature single 4 and 2 Ohm coils along with an ancillary Q adjusting coil. We will be moving the IB3 line over to this co. and finally bring the IB2 line out (we have done the IB2 drivers for specific people and applications but never offered it to the HT masses).

Working on that site too and things should be up in a couple of weeks. These drivers are more "standard" items and will be stocked and should ship same or next day.

Thanks,

Scott

:ohsnap: A return of the Atlas. Looking forward to this one. :popcorn:

In a MUCH bigger way :) No puny 2" coil for this one. I always liked the design and adjustability, although it never quite caught on until a couple years after the line was gone... then it seemed to be sought after on the used market.

Hopefully a few years later people will better understand what that extra "half a coil" is used for :)

Thanks,

Scott

In a MUCH bigger way :) No puny 2" coil for this one. I always liked the design and adjustability, although it never quite caught on until a couple years after the line was gone... then it seemed to be sought after on the used market.

Hopefully a few years later people will better understand what that extra "half a coil" is used for :)

Thanks,

Scott

Exciting times. I'll admit I was one to get drawn into the cult following of the Atlas. To my defense I did arrive at the party just in time to realize what I had just missed. :P

The jury is still out on whether the internet masses will understand the adjustable Qts coil. I still smile when remembering the looks on peoples faces when they'd see the second coil wasn't connected on my Atlas subs. I was running them IB.

One particular time, I was testing an SPL meter. I met up with a TL owner to compare meters. He was running a quartet of 15 subs by a double consonant company tuned to 60Hz. Needless to say he knew what he was doing in the SPL world. When my setup only mustard a 135 on the meter he insisted he knew how to get my score up. Thinking "this will be good" I popped open the trunk. When he saw the baskets, he asked if the box was built into the seat back. :) He noticed the second coil wasn't connected and said if I connected it I'd get a better score. I explained to him the concept behind the adjustable Qts coil. He gave me a puzzled look. :seesaw: To make things worse I told him the second coil was a 4 ohm coil and the primary coil that was hooked up was an 8 ohm coil. :D Things got good as he pulled out his multi-meter. After he verified the the coils did check out at 4 and 8 ohms. He continued on by saying what a waste it was to build such a sub and so forth. I told him it was a daily setup and gave him a demo. His expression was priceless. I think he realized he still had a lot to learn about the magic of audio.

I look forward to your latest offerings.

Cheers,

Hugo

:)

Glad to see some people are finally seeing the really cool aspect of the other coil...the concept of an adjustable Qts shoots over most people's mental capacity..especially when it involved another coil

I really like the idea of the secondary coil.

I played around with one of the Atlas subs when they first came out... I remember Dan showing me the prototypes, they were prettly slick....

I had built a set of mini-monitors in the early 90's with some of the original Focal 6 1/2" Kevlar DVC drivers. A guy in our audio club had explained to me using the second coil with a potentiometer hooked up to adjust the alignment, I used a 100W l-pad and it was pretty cool to play with.

Ajustable qts? Interesting. I must find out how this works.

Most people don't realize that you can do it with any DVC driver.

Although if you have a driver specifically designed to be used with RDO like the Atlas, I think overall results will probably be a little better.

So is this secondary coil like a electro magnetic brake? So it changes the qes and qts?

Qes stays the same, Qms is what drops when the coil is shorted.... and therefore Qts.

Very true... you can do it with any DVC speaker, although most specs arent designed for it and you end up with really high Qts values with just 1 coil.

Like the old Atlas drivers we were able to do some interesting things with all coils driven (when subs were used in pairs). From the S4 driven and 2Ohm RDO you can wire with a pair of subs the RDO coils in series to yield (3) 4 Ohm coils for a pair of speakers. Back all in parallel yields a 1.3 Ohm load which works well with many Class D amps (for auto applications). Same goes for the 2 Ohm driven and 1 Ohm RDO for a final .7 Ohm load for a pair.

Thanks,

Scott

Hmm I must do some more reaserch on electromagnetics. This is a very interesting subject

Most people don't realize that you can do it with any DVC driver.

Although if you have a driver specifically designed to be used with RDO like the Atlas, I think overall results will probably be a little better.

When I first started out trying to prove my worth as a high end installer I blew my employer away when I told him to hook up a potentiometer to the 2nd coil on his 13w7 to tweak the response he was getting in 5 cubic sealed, this after a long discussion about his musical preferences and why he was do adamant about a sealed enclosure... he spent about 5 hours in his car with a 10 watt variable resistor he had laying around and its still in his trunk to this day... he's a bit older and the internet was never his thing, I was just happy to add something to his knowledge base (though in his defense he is the business graduate and his brother who co-owns the shop is the EE graduate. He got the concept down real quickly).

I would love to have a driver more specific to the application to play with

I have two Q18's which are Dual 1 ohm drivers and run them 2 ohms stereo from a Behringer EP4000 amp and have no issues at all. Yes the amp gets a bit warm but that it.

Dual 2 ohms would have been a better idea but it still works.

I am defo looking forward to the new drivers.

How will these compare price wise to the Q18's?

cheers

Graham