funbogie

Narrow down my choices on a new 12" subwoofer

First let me start off by saying that i am a huge fan of this forum. I have been snooping around for quite a while before i signed up to be a member. I am a big supporter of companies like Sundown Audio, SSA, IA, because i feel like it is a better product that is the underdog in the mainstream person's eye. I am ready for a new set-up because i down-sized to a 4 door honda civic from a larger SUV. I am looking for a single 12" subwoofer with good SPL that i can use in a daily driver application. I will be running the sub off of either a SAZ-1000d or the new SAX-1200d at either 1 ohm or 2ohms, whichever meets the subwoofer's specifications better. I am very interested in the SA-12, the Fi BL 12, and the SSA Icon 12. I would like to keep the ported box to around 2.5-3.0 Cuft afer all displacements. I am currently running Polk MM Components up front off of a Soundstream 125x2 amp. Just need that bass. I mostly listen to rap, but do enjoy metal every now and then. I am also open to other amplifier suggestions if you think something will better meet the demands of these subwoofers. I am running stock electrical.

Help me make a decision that will best suit my needs. I want the best "bang" for the buck.

Thank you and it is great to meet you guys.

Welcome to the forum! :eek5wavey:

That's a fairly informative first post. I personally would suggest the Fi BL as I do love my Fi Q's and want to share the Fi experience with everyone I can, lol. Seriously though, for the more SPL oriented output you're looking for the SA-12 or BL would probably be the better choice's. The ICON still gets plenty loud but like the other SSA subs is more SQ oriented, but what the hell do I really know I don't have any personal experience with any of the three, lol. My vote is still for the BL on the SAX-1200. Good luck and again, welcome to the forum!

That's a fairly informative first post. I personally would suggest the Fi BL as I do love my Fi Q's and want to share the Fi experience with everyone I can, lol. Seriously though, for the more SPL oriented output you're looking for the SA-12 or BL would probably be the better choice's. The ICON still gets plenty loud but like the other SSA subs is more SQ oriented, but what the hell do I really know I don't have any personal experience with any of the three, lol. My vote is still for the BL on the SAX-1200. Good luck and again, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the welcome. You guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge. I am kind of leaning towards the BL, but i have heard great things about the SA-12. Thank you greatly for your input.

Edited by funbogie

Thank you for the welcome. You guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge. I am kind of leaning towards the BL, but i have heard great things about the SA-12. Thank you greatly for your input.

SA12 is the best bang for your buck, at least that's what I see. There cheap, underrated, and everyone seems to love them. I currently have one sitting in my room, still haven't done any testing with it. Another thing that's nice with them is they like smaller enclosure sizes, so if storage is an issue then the sa12 may be the better route.

Although I have an sa12 I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but I've ran ssa icons (latest model) in the past and they sounded awesome. The bass was tight, never muddy, punch in the gut feeling, and that was in a ported enclosure :P

Currently I'm running a fi bl and the sq between the two is hard to notice, unless you have a trained ear :P Can't compare output though, as I had different enclosures and different size driver(s).

Also if your on a budget, check out the for sale section, you can always get great deals on slightly used drivers.

Not sure about your stock alternators amperage, but I think running 1000watts would be okay with a second battery, or just gain down a little bit (and down the road if your upgrade electrical, you can simply readjust your gain).

If you can fit a 3 cube ported enclosure, def. take a look at the SA-15, its still on pre-order i believe.

same price as the SA-12 and should do nicely in a 3cuft enclosure ported.... That is if you can fit a 15" in your car

More "bang" for your buck :)

Edited by bimmerboy

SA12 is the best bang for your buck, at least that's what I see. There cheap, underrated, and everyone seems to love them. I currently have one sitting in my room, still haven't done any testing with it. Another thing that's nice with them is they like smaller enclosure sizes, so if storage is an issue then the sa12 may be the better route.

Although I have an sa12 I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but I've ran ssa icons (latest model) in the past and they sounded awesome. The bass was tight, never muddy, punch in the gut feeling, and that was in a ported enclosure :P

Currently I'm running a fi bl and the sq between the two is hard to notice, unless you have a trained ear :P Can't compare output though, as I had different enclosures and different size driver(s).

Also if your on a budget, check out the for sale section, you can always get great deals on slightly used drivers.

Not sure about your stock alternators amperage, but I think running 1000watts would be okay with a second battery, or just gain down a little bit (and down the road if your upgrade electrical, you can simply readjust your gain).

Do you think the SA12 can take the 1000 - 1200 RMS daily and be safe? It is rated at 600 RMS right? I know people are pushing them much harder than that though with great results.

I will definately check out the For Sale section. I have not checked that out yet. Should i feel safe purchasing used drivers from others on this site? Thanks man

If you can fit a 3 cube ported enclosure, def. take a look at the SA-15, its still on pre-order i believe.

same price as the SA-12 and should do nicely in a 3cuft enclosure ported.... That is if you can fit a 15" in your car

More "bang" for your buck :)

I will definately take a look at the SA15. I am not sure i want to go the 15" route, but i will keep it in mind. I previously had an AQ SD2.5 15 and i just wasnt pleased. Do you think this is more comparable to the HDC3 15 than the SD2.5 15?

Thanks for your response and input

Do you think the SA12 can take the 1000 - 1200 RMS daily and be safe? It is rated at 600 RMS right? I know people are pushing them much harder than that though with great results.

I will definately check out the For Sale section. I have not checked that out yet. Should i feel safe purchasing used drivers from others on this site? Thanks man

A lot of people that are running way over 600watts(listed rms) on their sa12s are doing it for burps. I'm not sure if your familiar with the term, but it basically means there competing and they only run such high power for extremely short periods of time (anywhere from a couple seconds to perhaps a minute or so depending on class and competition type).

Power handling also comes down to enclosure size, bigger the enclosure, the less power handling, and vice versa.

I've read some people were using "1200watts" to a sa12 and started to smell coil, but around ~800watts they said it was good. (this is for daily). But I don't remember what their enclosure volumes were...

I'd get an amp with ~1000watts just to have the headroom, then you can start messing with gain (without clipping of course) and see what works and what doesn't work power wise with your enclosure.

As far as buying from others on the site, I would check to see if they have any references, ask for pictures of product along with their username in pic, etc. Some users I trust and others I just don't know well enough... Also ssa has a transaction feedback section under "for sale", so you can see if the user has positive feedback and what not.

Are you stuck on (1) 12" sub? You might be able to get (2) 10's or (1) 15.. just something to think about.

I have installed (1) 12" SSA Icon on 1k in the trunk of a Mercury Sable in a 2.5 ported box tuned to 32hz. I can't say i was impressed by it because i'm use to my system.. BUT everyone i gave a demo too thought it was great and loouudd :)

I have not read much about the SA-12..

I have read A LOT about the FI BL and they were all very happy costumers.

I run Sundown Amps and they haven't gave me any troubles yet. IMO you should go with the SAZ series instead of the SAX series.

Other sub/amp suggestions off the top of my head are:

Subs: DC LVL4

Amps: AQ1200d & PDX1000.

Also check out http://www.classifiedzz.com/forum/index :)

Are you stuck on (1) 12" sub? You might be able to get (2) 10's or (1) 15.. just something to think about.

I have installed (1) 12" SSA Icon on 1k in the trunk of a Mercury Sable in a 2.5 ported box tuned to 32hz. I can't say i was impressed by it because i'm use to my system.. BUT everyone i gave a demo too thought it was great and loouudd :)

I have not read much about the SA-12..

I have read A LOT about the FI BL and they were all very happy costumers.

I run Sundown Amps and they haven't gave me any troubles yet. IMO you should go with the SAZ series instead of the SAX series.

Other sub/amp suggestions off the top of my head are:

Subs: DC LVL4

Amps: AQ1200d & PDX1000.

Also check out http://www.classifiedzz.com/forum/index :)

Well depending on the stock alt I think running a full 1000watts in going to be hard on electrical, unless he adds another battery. I've also read that DC audio drivers are considerably inefficient, this would leave me to believe that in order to get the full potential out of a dc lvl4 driver, your going to be need at least a 1000watts but most likely more.

So if it was me, I'd go with the BL or sa12 :)

Correct me If I'm wrong.

Its sounds like from reading the replies above that the SAZ amp would be recommended over the SAX series amp from Sundown. If it were your guys system, would you rather have the sundown or the AQ amp?

Also, it looks like we have narrowed down the field to the Fi BL and the SA-12. To me, looking at the two woofers, it looks you get "more" woofer with the BL. I know that you are paying more, but not a whole lot. For some reason, i am just thinking i would get more output from it. What do yall think??????

I am kind of stuck on the single 12". i dont really want to spend the money on two woofers, and i am hoping that the single 12" will give me the output i am looking for.

Keep the opinions coming and thank you.

After reading over this thread, I think the new SKAR VVX-12 would be a great choice for you. Check it out on this forum, the SSA store, or our website - Skaraudio.com

What are everyone's opinions on the new Skar Audio subwoofer that is out after reviewing the product info? Looks like a solid woofer and appears to be based on the same techonology that comprises the SA12.

Give me some feedback

I would personally get a sundown amp before an AQ. Reason I say this is, I've had several sundown amps and have had zero problems, no issues whats so ever.

If I was buying a single driver as your are in your case, I'd probably go for the BL since it has a higher power rating and I love my current BL :) . Reason my next build is 4 sa12s and not 4 BLs is money, sa12s are cheaper, and I'm not running enough power to put them to their potential verse the sa12s lower power rating.

As far as the skar drivers, I know they have a nice presale going on right now, but I don't know anyone whose actually tested them...

I would personally get a sundown amp before an AQ. Reason I say this is, I've had several sundown amps and have had zero problems, no issues whats so ever.

If I was buying a single driver as your are in your case, I'd probably go for the BL since it has a higher power rating and I love my current BL :) . Reason my next build is 4 sa12s and not 4 BLs is money, sa12s are cheaper, and I'm not running enough power to put them to their potential verse the sa12s lower power rating.

As far as the skar drivers, I know they have a nice presale going on right now, but I don't know anyone whose actually tested them...

All Preorders have been shipped and these woofer's are now actually in stock!

if OP can wait a little bit, he can see what people have to say about them :)

Also to the OP, are you willing to upgrade your front battery? or add a second battery to the rear? Do you know what your alternator specs are?

I had to gain down my saz1500 when using it on my stock alt, or I'd have bad voltage drop... Just don't want you to spend a lot on something you can't fully take advantage of :)

Whatever amp is in your budget and power range then I suggest getting, first choose a sub then we will help you pick out an amp. Audioque is not a bad choice along with others but first things first.

if OP can wait a little bit, he can see what people have to say about them :)

Also to the OP, are you willing to upgrade your front battery? or add a second battery to the rear? Do you know what your alternator specs are?

I had to gain down my saz1500 when using it on my stock alt, or I'd have bad voltage drop... Just don't want you to spend a lot on something you can't fully take advantage of :)

I am willing to upgrade my front battery. I am probably not willing to upgrade my alt, just because i dont really know how long i will have this car. I bought the civic mainly because i am traveling between atlanta and birmingham for work right now. I think i am going to go with the SAX-1200D amp. I think i am going to run it it at 2 ohms, so 750 watts RMS. My electrical should be fine with this wouldnt you think? This way, i will have the headroom later if i upgrade my electrical and run the amp at 1 ohm on multiple woofers.

What do you think?

Whatever amp is in your budget and power range then I suggest getting, first choose a sub then we will help you pick out an amp. Audioque is not a bad choice along with others but first things first.

OK - i am either going with the SA12 or the SKAR 12" subwoofer. Both are rated at 600 rms. Do you think i am making a good choice in selecting one of these drivers and running it at 2 ohm off of a SAX-1200D? That would give me some future head rooom as well to run two woofers at 1 ohm total load to the amp?

Thanks guys

OK - i am either going with the SA12 or the SKAR 12" subwoofer. Both are rated at 600 rms. Do you think i am making a good choice in selecting one of these drivers and running it at 2 ohm off of a SAX-1200D? That would give me some future head rooom as well to run two woofers at 1 ohm total load to the amp?

Thanks guys

Running it at 2ohms would be easier on your car's electrical and still provide enough juice for either driver :drink40:

:WELCOME:

Alright guys, well after all of the help i have made a decision on both the amplifier and the subwoofer. I am going with the Sundown SAX-1200D and the SKAR 12" Subwoofer. I am going to run the Sundown amp at 2 ohms, which should give me about 750 RMS to the 12". I think i am going to put it in a 1.75 CuFt ported enclosure tuned to about 36hz. I will keep yall in the loop on the way it sounds and if the sub meets my expectations. I just could not turn down the promo deal they have right now on that Woofer!!! I was able to wrap up a package deal on the amp and the sub.

Thanks for all the help guys and i will see you around the forum.

I appreciate everyone welcoming me to the site.

:WELCOME: Good choice on equipment. When all is installed I want to see pics! Very interested on seeing how the Skar subwoofers sound

36 hz may be a little high for music.

Why don't you try 32-33 Hz ?

:dancing:

:WELCOME: Good choice on equipment. When all is installed I want to see pics! Very interested on seeing how the Skar subwoofers sound

I will definately post up some pics. I am also interested to see how the SKAR subwoofers sound - haha.