Impious

Bravox CS-603CF Kickpanels

Awesome!!!! Excellent work!!!! I'm sure they will look great when you spend the time in the spring to finish them up!! :fing34::fing34:

Those are a thing of beauty! Great craftsmanship!

That looks great so far. Nice glassing skills. I hope to see it all come together for you soon.

Thanks for the props :) Should have them ready to install tonight, although I probably won't have time to actually install them until Wed.....maybe later in the week since it's freakin' dark outside when I get home from work now :(

Did we ever try knocking a dome out of phase?

Both domes were out of phase........to keep them in phase. 2nd order filters, standard crossover theory says this should be the case.....and my ears agreed :)

Thanks for the props :) Should have them ready to install tonight, although I probably won't have time to actually install them until Wed.....maybe later in the week since it's freakin' dark outside when I get home from work now :(

Did we ever try knocking a dome out of phase?

Both domes were out of phase........to keep them in phase. 2nd order filters, standard crossover theory says this should be the case.....and my ears agreed :)

So that means you have time before Friday to finish this up and complete a full 3 page review.

J/K........Nice job.

So did you just reverse the phase of the mids. And did that fix it ,or just help it.?

If you wanna experiment with semi-active ,I have some Dyn 360A crossovers.

Active between the mid and midrange. 8ohm mr / 4ohm tweet 6/12 slope with zobel's.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by GrampaDon

Yes, just the midrange were wired out of phase. Sounded pretty terrible with them in phase....LOL

Not as much progress as I'd hoped, but I'll try to get a couple more pictures today.

Yes, just the midrange were wired out of phase. Sounded pretty terrible with them in phase....LOL

Not as much progress as I'd hoped, but I'll try to get a couple more pictures today.

charles-barkley-savage-thumbcopy.jpg

I'm likin' the build so far

Picture of the car?

No. ;) It's ugly.

Picture of the car?

No. ;) It's ugly.

haha i'm sure its not thaaat bad

How are you going to finish him?

funny-pictures-mortal-kombat-monkeys.jpg

Picture of the car?

No. ;) It's ugly.

:lol2:

Picture of the car?

No. ;) It's ugly.

haha i'm sure its not thaaat bad

My driver's door handle is a different color than the car (broke the original handle), my windshield has a crack running it's width (not worth the $375+tax to fix), and my clear coat and/or paint has flaked or wore off of about 25% of the car.

It's ugly. But it runs pretty good and gets me from point A to point B, and actually the vehicle works out pretty well for car audio.......so it's a keeper until it gives up the ghost :) I'm not too particular about looks and I drive 25K+ miles/year, so as long as it fits my audio equipment......the rest doesn't really matter.

Nice work man.

How are you going to finish them?

I haven't decided. If I can get them sanded down pretty smooth I'd like to paint them. But that really depends on how much patience I have at the time. I may go the easy way out and just carpet them.

LOL @ your picture Aaron.

Uploading some pictures now. Will have a minor update in a few minutes.

I had a sample tile of SDS CLD laying around that Don had sent me a long time ago that I hadn't figured out a use for yet. So I decided what the heck, I'll throw it in the kickpanels! I originally hadn't planned on putting the SDS in the kicks as I actually forgot I had that tile laying around....it was a last minute addition. I cut the tile into quarters and laid it on the larger areas to hopefully help dampen some resonances.

Kicks getting a little SDS'ification:

gallery_532_499_25695.jpg

gallery_532_499_73911.jpg

gallery_532_499_55937.jpg

After that I proceeded on to the time honored SQ tradition of piling on some non-hardening modeling clay (NHMC). The idea being to add mass to the structure to shift and reduce the resonances. How well does it work? I really have no idea! How do you like that for an answer? :P Seriously though, I've not seen any quantitative data on this method, and I don't have the equipment to conduct such a test. But a cursory investigation of the kicks pre- and post-NHMC revels that the kickpanels are significantly heavier after adding the NHMC (which is good, knowing that I need a 4x increase in mass to lower Fs one octave....the heavier the better), and with the 'ole knock test the kickpanel with NMHC sounds much less resonant and "hollow" than the kickpanel without NHMC. So, subjectively it appears it should help some. I've used it before but didn't really spend any time trying to compare with and without differences. And for $10 it isn't that expensive. I have something like 2lbs of clay per kick, which doesn't sound like a lot but really the difference is weight is extremely noticeable. Plus, it adds all kinds of pretty colors!

I didn't add much to the backside of the kickpanel because clearance is tight, and the form is cylindrical which will be stronger and less prone to resonance than the large flat areas.

gallery_532_499_62748.jpg

gallery_532_499_77896.jpg

Oh, and since I didn't mention it before I also chamfered the rear of the mounting ring for the midbass since the .75" MDF is approximately the same depth as the side openings in the midbass' basket (which is the only escape path for air on these midbass) to help improve airflow.

gallery_532_499_62091.jpg

And that's where they sit :) Before I put the speakers in I'll also fill each kick w/ polyfill. Other than that, it's just waiting for the weekend and some daylight so I can get them installed!

I had a sample tile of SDS CLD laying around that Don had sent me a long time ago that I hadn't figured out a use for yet. So I decided what the heck, I'll throw it in the kickpanels! I originally hadn't planned on putting the SDS in the kicks as I actually forgot I had that tile laying around....it was a last minute addition. I cut the tile into quarters and laid it on the larger areas to hopefully help dampen some resonances.

Kicks getting a little SDS'ification:

gallery_532_499_25695.jpg

gallery_532_499_73911.jpg

gallery_532_499_55937.jpg

After that I proceeded on to the time honored SQ tradition of piling on some non-hardening modeling clay (NHMC). The idea being to add mass to the structure to shift and reduce the resonances. How well does it work? I really have no idea! How do you like that for an answer? :P Seriously though, I've not seen any quantitative data on this method, and I don't have the equipment to conduct such a test. But a cursory investigation of the kicks pre- and post-NHMC revels that the kickpanels are significantly heavier after adding the NHMC (which is good, knowing that I need a 4x increase in mass to lower Fs one octave....the heavier the better), and with the 'ole knock test the kickpanel with NMHC sounds much less resonant and "hollow" than the kickpanel without NHMC. So, subjectively it appears it should help some. I've used it before but didn't really spend any time trying to compare with and without differences. And for $10 it isn't that expensive. I have something like 2lbs of clay per kick, which doesn't sound like a lot but really the difference is weight is extremely noticeable. Plus, it adds all kinds of pretty colors!

I didn't add much to the backside of the kickpanel because clearance is tight, and the form is cylindrical which will be stronger and less prone to resonance than the large flat areas.

gallery_532_499_62748.jpg

gallery_532_499_77896.jpg

Oh, and since I didn't mention it before I also chamfered the rear of the mounting ring for the midbass since the .75" MDF is approximately the same depth as the side openings in the midbass' basket (which is the only escape path for air on these midbass) to help improve airflow.

gallery_532_499_62091.jpg

And that's where they sit :) Before I put the speakers in I'll also fill each kick w/ polyfill. Other than that, it's just waiting for the weekend and some daylight so I can get them installed!

Your kick panels look great!!!

What's the rest of your system consist of?

I don't see a sig. listing your other equipment.

Is this a cutlass supreme?

Dude.....You saw my sanded [and fill n sand n fill n sand.........] panels in my car. But im kinda OCD that way.

So trust me here IMO rough sand the high spots and grey carpet them. Done in under 2hrs bada bing bada boom = music.

Done it both ways and carpet is gooooood.

Your kick panels look great!!!

What's the rest of your system consist of?

I don't see a sig. listing your other equipment.

Is this a cutlass supreme?

No, it's not a Cutlass. It's a '96 LSS.....basically the Oldsmobile equivalent of a Bonneville.

Rest of the system;

Headunit: Alpine W200 (I'd like to switch to something more conservative but my kids think it's "cool" I have a DVD player w/ video screen in my dash)

Processor: JBL MS-8

Amplifiers: (3) Blaupunkt Velocity VA2200 and (1) Blaupunkt Velocity VA2100

Subwoofer: Exodus Audio Shiva-X

I have one VA2200 bridged to each channel on the front stage for an available 600w x 2 up front, and the 3rd VA2200 is running the sub. The VA2100 isn't currently being used.

Dude.....You saw my sanded [and fill n sand n fill n sand.........] panels in my car. But im kinda OCD that way.

So trust me here IMO rough sand the high spots and grey carpet them. Done in under 2hrs bada bing bada boom = music.

Done it both ways and carpet is gooooood.

LOL.....yeah, I have a feeling that's probably the way I'm going to go. But it never hurts to dream!

Ive heard of the modeling clay thing but I usually see people just coat the back of the driver itself with it? Any take on that process vs. yours or do they still achieve the same effect? Looking good so far and if your interested in parting with the Blaupunkt Velocity VA2100 let me know im interested.

Ive heard of the modeling clay thing but I usually see people just coat the back of the driver itself with it? Any take on that process vs. yours or do they still achieve the same effect?

Different purposes. My goal is to reduce the the resonances of the enclosure (the kickpanel). The goal of applying it to the basket of the driver (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to?) is usually to reduce the basket's resonances, which can color the sound if severe enough (although shouldn't be a problem on my drivers)

Looking good so far and if your interested in parting with the Blaupunkt Velocity VA2100 let me know im interested.

Won't be for a while :)

Need to keep it to run tweeters if/when I decide to go active.

Ive heard of the modeling clay thing but I usually see people just coat the back of the driver itself with it? Any take on that process vs. yours or do they still achieve the same effect?

Different purposes. My goal is to reduce the the resonances of the enclosure (the kickpanel). The goal of applying it to the basket of the driver (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to?) is usually to reduce the basket's resonances, which can color the sound if severe enough (although shouldn't be a problem on my drivers)

Looking good so far and if your interested in parting with the Blaupunkt Velocity VA2100 let me know im interested.

Won't be for a while :)

Need to keep it to run tweeters if/when I decide to go active.

Yeah the basket is what I was referring to, just curious as I seen people do it so I thought I would ask. Those Bravox drivers really have me wanting to try a pair of components. Thanks for the heads up on the amp, just though I asked since i needed a little two channel amplifier.

Thanks for the rundown on your system.

I've heard allot of good things about the shiva subs, with regards to them being quick/clean.

What alignment is it being used in?

I've always been happy with my eclipse subs, 88120 dvc aluminum/ 88120 ti dvc, sealed or ported.

They seem to get loud and stay quick/ clean, but due to space limitations I may be looking to go with some 10"s.

To bad diy cable doesn't have any 10"s.

Do you have any opinions on these two subs and how they might compare if placed in similar enclosures?

Thanks.