holley2346

Lots of Cone area VS. Motor Strength

I am in the process of selling all of my audio equipment to start off with something new. I don't change systems like I change clothes, I kept my last setup for about 2 years. The question I currently have is this....

Which setup would have more output potential on the meter... assuming I have the optimal sized box and optimal power for both set ups

1.) 12 Very low strength subs... let's just say 12 inch subs 300 watts a piece

2.) 2-4 Very high motor strength subs... let's just say 4 18 inch subs 3000 watts a piece

I've never used a sub that required less than a thousand watts, and have little experience with low power small subs.

Thanks!

For SPL- the best potential for high scores is the LEAST amount of subs utilizing the largest efficient box volume, port area and power.

for continuous output use- multiple subs are used, but primarily for only 1 reason. this is to prevent cooking coils or power compression.

If you can get some VERY VERY capable subs able to handle a ton of power per driver, then low sub quantity can still be used for continuous use.

what?! can you rephrase that....

ok.. this is in Hebrew-

עבור SPL-הפוטנציאל הטוב ביותר עבור ציונים גבוהים היא הכמות המינימלית של צוללות ניצול יעיל ביותר בתיבה נפח, יציאת באזור וכוח. לשימוש פלט מרובות subs-רציף משמשים, אבל בעיקר עבור 1 הסיבה היחידה. זה כדי למנוע סלילי בישול או דחיסה כוח. אם אתה יכול לקבל כמה מוכשר מאוד subs מאוד מסוגלים להתמודד עם טונה של כוח לכל נהג, אז כמות נמוכה משנה עדיין ניתן להשתמש לשימוש מתמשך.

:peepwall:

there is some info in the tech section that helps in this area.....

not a directanswer to your qusestion, but i figured i would throw that out there for you if you have not read up in there lately.... :shrug:

i was on a similar thought process a while back.....sorta similar....

there were some usefull comments made in my post....

it was in the ssa section......dealing with the xcon's

glwb :fing34:

chop

ok.. this is in Hebrew-

עבור SPL-הפוטנציאל הטוב ביותר עבור ציונים גבוהים היא הכמות המינימלית של צוללות ניצול יעיל ביותר בתיבה נפח, יציאת באזור וכוח. לשימוש פלט מרובות subs-רציף משמשים, אבל בעיקר עבור 1 הסיבה היחידה. זה כדי למנוע סלילי בישול או דחיסה כוח. אם אתה יכול לקבל כמה מוכשר מאוד subs מאוד מסוגלים להתמודד עם טונה של כוח לכל נהג, אז כמות נמוכה משנה עדיין ניתן להשתמש לשימוש מתמשך.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

no, this is a dick- :twirl:

Dick? ^

Not nice.

Dick? ^

me? perhaps at times...... Sean? no!

very helpfull, trust me on that.... he would be willing to walk with the guy everystep of the way to help him achieve his goals.... for real!

if his comment seemed hard to understand........ it very well may be time to do some additional Q & A's .

we , ( IAK ) , always picture him as a mad scientist, lol , in fact, that's what we call him.

trust me, he was being humorous, and will be helpfull as well.

chop

sean.............return my text bro!

no, this is a dick- :twirl:

LOL! terrible .....

Efficiency is key, it is possible to have too much woofer.

Efficiency is key, it is possible to have too much woofer.

Such as too small of a enclosure or not enough port area. I'd rather have an enclosure with the perfect enclosure with lots of port with less woofers than a enclosure with not enough port and volume for the woofers.

Yes, optimal internal volume, as well as optimal port tickles my fancy

Yes, optimal internal volume, as well as optimal port tickles my fancy

What are you talking about? I love 4 18's in a small box with 1/2 the needed port!

:peepwall: