///M5

What active crossover are you using?

Had planned on going passive, but want to look at all of the options. It is hard to find good information on crossovers on any forum. Would love to assemble a shopping list to compare and thought I would see if you would reply with what you are using. Adding an approximate cost would be great too. Thanks!

Eclipse 8053

10 band PEQ

Time allignment high, mid, low for left and right

$324 (if still available)

Eclipse 8053

10 band PEQ

Time allignment high, mid, low for left and right

$324 (if still available)

same, well it is waiting to go into my car,

in my truck is a 55430

audio control 4xs (about 70 bucks on ebay)

but before I had that I used what denim and jntar use, eclipse 8053. It is pretty nice, it's a nice package all in one :P

Eclipse 8053

-or-

Coustic Design Reference DX-28 (not currently in production, but ebay/for sale forum prices are in the $80-$150 range)

Haven't decided which one I'm going to use yet.

I'd personally stay away from any non-digital Audiocontrol crossover. Those resistor packs are a PITA.

Coustic is all I will use. System design will determine which unit, along with availability as the best Coustic units are no longer made. Squeak has one of them.

Coustic is all I will use.  System design will determine which unit, along with availability as the best Coustic units are no longer made.  Squeak has one of them.

Excellent, this is now getting helpful. I don't really want to replace my deck....

Any possibility for clarification on ones that are good to get? Adding to the DX-28?

Hmm, are the EQT's with this 4xs any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-control-EQT-2-Au...1QQcmdZViewItem

As I said, I would avoid Audiocontrol analog pieces. Not user friendly at all, and the resistors packs to set the crossover points are a PITA.

Likewise, I would avoid the 4XS. Notoriously a bad unit, through and through. Do a search on ECA for the 4XS....many people do not like them at all. And not just *nobodies*, but some seriously respected members are all of the same opinion.

Find something else.

Any possibility for clarification on ones that are good to get?  Adding to the DX-28?

The XM-7 is one of the most flexible analog crossovers ever produced. XM-5 is great aswell out of the older lineup.

The Coustic XM6 is a great unit out of their current production line-up (since the DX-28 and XM-7 are darn near impossible to find). Not nearly as flexible as the other units...but good none-the-less.

Tru Technology F-1 and F-2 are great units. As is the Linear Power X03 (if you can find one).

If you have cash, look into the Alpine H701.

well I'm getting close to being able to install everything and I guess I'll have to give my input on the 4xs and EQT's once everything is all said and done. If I run into problems I live about an hour away from a shop that deals audiocontrol stuff so they can most likely help me out. I hope that after all this work of finding EQT's that this setup doesn't suck, thx for telling me now squeak. LOL

I got a pair of EQTs, AC Epicenter, 3XS. No noise, and anyone who knows how to solder can make the resitor packs.

As I said, I would avoid Audiocontrol analog pieces.  Not user friendly at all, and the resistors packs to set the crossover points are a PITA.

Likewise, I would avoid the 4XS. 

The XM-7 is one of the most flexible analog crossovers ever produced.  XM-5 is great aswell out of the older lineup.

The Coustic XM6 is a great unit out of their current production line-up (since the DX-28 and XM-7 are darn near impossible to find).  Not nearly as flexible as the other units...but good none-the-less.

Tru Technology F-1 and F-2 are great units.  As is the Linear Power X03 (if you can find one).

If you have cash, look into the Alpine H701.

Aha, thanks Squeak I did get the message about the analog units but wasn't sure what were and looked at ebay first when I saw the grouping I got excited and thought "screw passives". Will look for digi's and your recommendations.

My problem with the H701 is that by the time I pay $300 for one, I might as well just get a new headunit that does all the above and time align.

My problem with the H701 is that by the time I pay $300 for one, I might as well just get a new headunit that does all the above and time align.

There is no headunit on the market that can do 50% of what the H701 can do ;)

The only ones that compare are the units that use external processors (just like the H701 is ;) ), such as the P9 combo or Sony C90/4000X combo.

I have an 8053, and I'd trade it for a H701 any day of the week.....

Okay, currently looking for an affordable:

Coustic XM6, XM7, DX-28

AudioControl DQX, DQXS

LinearPower X03

Tru Technology F-1, F-2

Behringer is too expensive and kludgy with the Inverter

HU/combo are too much money Alpine H701,Pioneer P9, & Sony C90.

I got an 3XS not in the best shape, but works fine, for cheap;)

I'm looking for a DX-28 also.

Thanks DB. I have a similar piece. An SX-20 Carver 2 way electronic crossover that I will temporarily use for setup. Can't find any information on it, I originally bought it about 15 years ago to x-over my sub amp. Back when I was running 3 15" JBL 1500GTi's in the trunk of a 68 Galaxy. Should be good enough for a start until I find a real x-over.

for my car I am pondering running my orions active off a 8004, having the front channels power the 2 pair of tweeters, and the rears power the 2 pair of mids,

if not running both pair off the front channels and finding a set of mid basses to run off the rear channels