outhopu

2005 Scion XB mini build

Not exactly sure on all the gear yet. I may just do it in several phases. The factory head unit died so I replaced it and now I'm itching to do more.

The goals.

More volume. Get some bass while using as few watts as possible and not giving up what little space I have in the back for hauling groceries and parts.

The gear that I'm sure of, the rest will get sorted out as I go.

Head unit JVC KW-XR810 double din.

4 Kicker Comp 8"

Sub amp Kenwood KAC-8152D

Right now it has all factory Pioneer speakers for the mids/highs. They sound much better with the new headunit. I may swap in some better stuff and run another amp for the mids/highs but thats later on.

I chose the Kickers for 3 reasons. They were super cheap. They can be used in sealed, ported, or "free air". They only need 100 wrms so I'm not going to have to do huge electrical upgrades.

I'm starting the build with the sub enclosure. I'll be using the lift gate door as the enclouser to make use of the dead space inside it. I will deaden the inside really good and brace it with MDF to keep the sheetmetal from resonating. I have no idea what to expect from this set up but I'm going to give it a shot anyways.

The subs.

Temporarywillyspics026-1.jpg

Started making the template for the baffle.

Temporarywillyspics025-1.jpg

Test fitting the baffle. Needs a bit more trimming. I'll be flush mounting the subs and the baffle is 1.5" thick.

Temporarywillyspics027-1.jpg

looks like that'll be a lot of fun

i am rather instred in this, my buddy has a xb. subbed.

Should be sweet. Made sure to seal any holes in the gate.

Looks pretty cool man. Should've went with Sundown E8's though. I little more kick for an also low price ;)

looking forward to see this unfold, get to it!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

looks like that'll be a lot of fun

It should be. I haven't build anything for my own ride in a long time so I'm excited about it.

Should be sweet. Made sure to seal any holes in the gate.

I'm not too concerned about sealing the gate since these subs can play free air anyways. I'll be sure to seal the baffle to the gate though to prevent any canellation.

Looks pretty cool man. Should've went with Sundown E8's though. I little more kick for an also low price ;)

They are too power hungry and the mounting depth required is more than I have to spare. Plus these Kickers were buy one get one free w/free shipping.

looking forward to see this unfold, get to it!

Well here you go.

I finished trimming the baffle and cut the opening s for the subs.

I used my trusty home made circle jig and router to make the cuts.

Subs001.jpg

I also cut the top piece of the baffle for flushing the subs.

Subs002.jpg

Subs003.jpg

Then I transfered the openings to the rear gate and removed any sheet metal that was in the way.

Subs004.jpg

Subs006.jpg

Propped the baffle in place. There will be plenty of room for the magnets.

Subs007.jpg

Subs008.jpg

I need to start on the filler pieces now for sealing off the lift gate and sort out how I want to attach it.

Looks nice and open, easy to deaden. GL on bracing. Where did you get the subs so cheap? killer deal

Looks nice and open, easy to deaden. GL on bracing. Where did you get the subs so cheap? killer deal

I may even cut the rest of the bracing out and remove the rear wiper motor just to have less sheetmetal to worry about resonating. I think the MDF will more than make up for the bracing anyways.

I got the subs from Crutchfield. Here is the link to them.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610C88/Kicker-10C88.html?tp=111

They also have the 4 ohm versions on sale as well, I went with the 8 ohms for my build.

tuned in! Not your average build :P

I'm not an average guy so I guess that explains it. There is more than enough average stuff being done. I like a challenge and try to be creative when I build stuff. Thanks.

I'm not an average guy so I guess that explains it. There is more than enough average stuff being done. I like a challenge and try to be creative when I build stuff. Thanks.

No ones average :P

I'm interested in seeing how you mount and seal the mdf to the rear :popcorn: Should be cool in the end, Having plenty of storage but with bass :D

For a homemade circle jig nice!!!!!!! Good job I will be tunned in for this one!

It gets the job done. I finally broke down and ordered a proper circle jig tonight since I was ordering some stuff for this build anyways.

I got a bit more done tonight.

Made the top filler piece. What a pain in the ass this was to get a good flush fit. lots of small cuts and sanding.

Subs009.jpg

I also added an extra strip of MDF for a stronger joint.

Subs012.jpg

now i have a question. are you going to be sealing up all the holes in the tailgate? like where the wiring and such comes in or leave it open? i've though about doing this in my chevy blazer but have a lot of holes i'd have to seal up that doesn't appeal to me to much.

could just let it vent out, ib

that is true and why i ask the questions. living in an area of completely pre-fab boxes makes me forget about all the great possibilities.

It would have to be pretty open for it to work ib, otherwise it'd sound like a leaky sealed box? :ughdunno:

Progress is coming along, keep up the good work!!

They are too power hungry and the mounting depth required is more than I have to spare. Plus these Kickers were buy one get one free w/free shipping.

Ahh I see, didn't think of depth and you're right about a good deal. Good luck man! Still looking forward to how this turns out! :popcorn:

now i have a question. are you going to be sealing up all the holes in the tailgate? like where the wiring and such comes in or leave it open? i've though about doing this in my chevy blazer but have a lot of holes i'd have to seal up that doesn't appeal to me to much.

It would have to be pretty open for it to work ib, otherwise it'd sound like a leaky sealed box? :ughdunno:

I'm looking at this as kind of a hybrid sealed/IB set up. These subs can play in IB,sealed, and ported configuration so at least I don't have to worry about them if the "enclosure" unloads do to any leaks. May main concern is to just make sure the baffle is air tight to the door panel to prevent cancellation. I can always modify the door later if I want as far as sealing it or even adding more openings to get it to behave more like a true IB set up.

Progress is coming along, keep up the good work!!

Thanks. I'm trying to do this as quickly as possible. I have lots of other work I need to get done on other projects as well.

Ahh I see, didn't think of depth and you're right about a good deal. Good luck man! Still looking forward to how this turns out! :popcorn:

These will be more than enough for this ride anyways. This is my daily and I don't need any thing insane since my duaghters in the car a lot with me.

Edited by outhopu

as long as its sealed to the door and vents outside the vehicle it will work. i bet deadening is going to be be needed, check out sounddeadenershowdown.com, great products there. id guess a hand full of tiles and some close cell foam would suffice (better yet, start a tread in the sound deadening section)

if you want to seal it up just make a fiberglass mold of the panel behind the subs and join that to the mdf.