outhopu

2005 Scion XB mini build

Schweet! :woot:

Looks solid, you've put a lot of effort and thought into this. It will pay off once you hear them :)

Excellent Work!!!! :fing34:

very very nice, that kind of work should get u laid.

If only it were that simple. Thanks.

Schweet! :woot:

Looks solid, you've put a lot of effort and thought into this. It will pay off once you hear them :)

At the rate I'm going it will be spring before I get an amp wired to hear them.

Excellent Work!!!! :fing34:

Thanks.

I finally got a set of lift shocks that will hold the door open.

frame029.jpg

Had to make some heavy duty brackets, the stock stamped steel pieces were not up for the extra load. I'm going to change the mount location slightly then paint them.

frame030.jpg

:fing34:

More!

O.K.

Had some free time today and the sun was out so I took atvantage of the warmer temps and started wiring the car and dropping in some new speakers.

Had to pull the wheel liner to get a spot that I could reach from inside to pull wire through. Then I opened up an existing hole for a grommet and silconed the grommet in place. Ran the wire into the cabin and siliconed around the wire to make sure it's weather tight.

midsandhighs015.jpg

midsandhighs003.jpg

midsandhighs006.jpg

midsandhighs014.jpg

I sleeved the wire with some rubber hose to protect it since it has to run over a sheet metal edge.

midsandhighs010.jpg

Had to remove the cowl cover to drill it and run the wire though it.

midsandhighs008.jpg

midsandhighs012.jpg

midsandhighs011.jpg

The power cable fit real nice it the clips that were there already from the factory.

midsandhighs016.jpg

At this point I started running speaker wires and then got side tracked and ended up installing the speakers also. They are an old set of 3 way Boston Acoustics Pro series with 6.5" midbass, 4" mid, and tweeter.

The stock speaker is rather odd, the whole thing is injection molded plastic. I did make use of it for the new speaker install though.

midsandhighs023.jpg

midsandhighs024.jpg

I cut out the basket and dropped my new speaker into the frame for a direct fit to factory loction.

midsandhighs025.jpg

midsandhighs019.jpg

midsandhighs018.jpg

Deadened the door, ran the wires and installed the drivers.

midsandhighs021.jpg

midsandhighs020.jpg

midsandhighs022.jpg

Made mounting plates for the 4" to go in the factory dash location.

midsandhighs026.jpg

I ran a bead os silicon around the plates to prevent cancelation. I'm going to use some foam around the clips on the grill to seal up the other openings.

midsandhighs027.jpg

Now I need to finish the power and grounds and mount the amps.

you ran that power wire the hard way but it is very nice looking.

do me a favor, could you tell me how tall that spacer is? got to make some for my buddy's toaster coaster.

The car had a stock 3 way in it? what am i missing? Looks good though, keep it up!

What was in the dash before you put the 4" in there?

you ran that power wire the hard way but it is very nice looking.

do me a favor, could you tell me how tall that spacer is? got to make some for my buddy's toaster coaster.

I wanted to run the power down the driverside because there was a lot better access to the firewall but the rocker sill already had a big bundle of wires and the 1/0 wouldn't fit along side it. It was a complete pain in the ass running the wire.

I have the doors back together already. I may have to pull one back apart though so if I do I'll get a quick measurement.

The car had a stock 3 way in it? what am i missing? Looks good though, keep it up!

What was in the dash before you put the 4" in there?

It had a 2 way of sorts. I used a reall small 3"mid/tweet in the dash and the 6.5 in the door. I added the tweeter to the sail panel and put the dedicated mid in the dash.

Great build! Excellent craftsmanship!

:drink40:

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming together. I just hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Very impressive work and great attention to the small details. Looking forward to seeing the end result... :drink40:

I changed the power wire to dual 4 gauge from where it enters the cabin. It allowed me to hide the distribution block behind the kick panel instead of under the seat.

midsandhighs028.jpg

midsandhighs031.jpg

Mounted the crossovers and amps. I still need to make a piece to support the back of each amp. I put a piece of mdf under the carpet where the crossovers sit to keep from putting screws throught the floor.

midsandhighs035.jpg

I also upgraded the factory grounds. I still need to run a new power wire from the alternator to the battery though.

midsandhighs032.jpg

I did the new motor ground directly to the alternator casing.

midsandhighs033.jpg

Thanks guys. I finally got it up and running last week. Overall I'm pleased with it but I have more mods I will do later to try to improve the bass quality. I plan on adding some holes to the door to vent off some of the pressure in it to the outside of the car to get it to behave more like an IB set up. I will also work on getting the interior rattles solved. I'm going to wait until spring though so that I can paint the door after cutting the holes in it to prevent it from rusting.

Nice build. Its spring now...:peepwall:

Ooh yes !

Very nice build.

I'd love to make a listen.

You gave me some good ideas !

Well the calender may say it's spring but it's been in the low 30s for highs all week. So I still have more to do once it warms up a bit.

It's funny though that this got bumped up because I did manage to upgrade the final run of power wire from the alternator to the battery.

Ooh yes !

Very nice build.

I'd love to make a listen.

You gave me some good ideas !

Honestly the bass is hit or miss depending on the type of music I'm listening to. It does pretty good on say a kick drum when listening to rock/metal but it falls on it's face when listening to heavy bass tracks found in most rap. I'm fairly certain the door flex is causing a lot of cancelation so I either need to brace it further or just accept it for what it is. Considering I've used almost zero interior space at all I'm not nearly as picky about it as I usually would be. I have a Fi SSD 10" in a ported box thats collecting dust which will find it's way into the ride very soon though. I plan on putting a switch in line to allow me to play the 8"s if I need to remove the 10" for extra cargo space. That will give me the best of both worlds.

I'm also going to put a larger sub amp in and probably replace the moped battery up front with a Kinetik and maybe even add a second one underneath the rear of the body if there is room. I just need the dam weather to take a turn for the better. I'm on strike until it hits 45 degrees or better. lol.

I'm on strike until it hits 45 degrees or better. lol.

:lol2: I hear ya, weather has been warming up nicely here, just have to dodge the dang thunderstorms that pop up. Always love to see what you have up your sleeve!

I am definitly tuned. I don't know how I missed this build, but I likey. :fing34:

Thanks guys. It wasn't 45 but I was feeling motivated so...

I finally got around to upgrading the power wire from the alternator to the battery and decided to throw a Kinetik battery in that I had laying around.

Picture181-1.jpg

Picture180-1.jpg

Hahaha I feel you on the 45 degree strike! I am patiently waiting for it to warm up so I can do some glass work on my doors.

Keep the pics coming! I really enjoy seeing your work!

Hahaha I feel you on the 45 degree strike! I am patiently waiting for it to warm up so I can do some glass work on my doors.

Keep the pics coming! I really enjoy seeing your work!

I was fine with the cold temps all winter. Then out of nowhere we got a warm front of 50-65 degree weather for almost a week followed by freezing rain, followed by snow, followed by highs in the 30's for 2 weeks. I just got spoiled by the warm air and sunshine.

I hear you on the crap weather thing we're having in Michigan. I was enjoying the 50s then last night we had snow on the ground. WTF! At least its 43 right now which justifies my shorts im wearing (in the house of course haha). The xb looks good though