I need to get 2 12v fans (one in, one out) for my enclosed amprack, but I'm a little confused as to which to get. Some have 3 wires coming out of them, some have 4. My amps already have outputs to power up external fans, which consists of a positive and negative (http://www.dls.se/images/highres/A5_F.jpg).

So I'm just wondering which fans you guys have used and which you liked. Thanks yall.

wow, I've never seen an amp that has fan outputs. That's pretty slick.

3 wire: usually red, blue, yel. R&B are the drive, yellow is for sensing the rpm of the fan. Sometimes the sense is two wires, not normally R&B. It "shouldn't" hurt to just try connecting it up to your car battery and seeing which two make it spin (and check for the right way--put a wet finger or a light rag in front to judge the moving air if it isn't obvious)

So basically, the other wire(s) that I don't use, I can just cut off?

i just got 3 computer fans off ebay for my false floor... work perfectly (hooked it up to my comp.)

Push pull wont do anything.

Its gotta be pull pull or push push to flow some air.

I would do 120mm fans; more efficient and quieter to boot. If you have something to adjust fan speed however, a 90 mm fan will do fine. I've never used em in car audio but just some experience with computers.

Push pull wont do anything.

Its gotta be pull pull or push push to flow some air.

Damn foo, you took my saying. Do you know why though?

Hot air rises. Use it to your advantage and mount the fans on bottom, blowing through to the top.

Muahahahaha !

I stolded it fair and square.

Yes, i know why ;)

Cant mount them on the bottom, the seats go there when folded up

The fans are going to be mounted on the sides, so should I still not do push/pull?

The amp enclosure is going to be as tall as the fans btw, I need to minimize height. 80x80mm is what I'm going with.

Supa is right, no push-pull.

You could even get some fans with lights in them to add to the light.

Should I just put one fan on one side and just leave a hole on the other side? Should I put 2 on one side?

Depends on how much airflow you need.

Final clarification...

I have both fans on one end (this is a rectangular amprack), should they both push or both pull?

On the opposite end, should I leave a hole for venting or should I just leave it closed up? If I should vent, how big should I make the opening? TIA.

I think the holes we made for the wires should be enough.

Dennis, how about a photo of said amprack.

Ideally you want a vent for the hot air to escape fan or no fan. That being said, I would definately put a vent on the opposite side of the fans. Now, this is assuming you have an open channel for the air to flow the entire way down the length of the rack. I don't know exactly how you have it set up, so I'm just making assumptions here.

Personally, if I were doing it, I would probably have an amp on either side, which I'm assuming you do, then I would put the fans in the middle, one blowing ine way, the other blowing the other, so as to have one fan per amp and blowing in opposite directions. Reason being would be to alleviate the hot air from one amp blowing onto the other before exiting the vent if they are both at one end. Get what I'm saying?

dscn15566nt.th.jpg

dscn15571lm.th.jpg

There will be a top and ends (not pictured). Ignore that piece of wood on the side, it's just holding up the side wall.

Not quite sure what you're saying. Should I make a wall in the middle with the fans in them, pointing in opposite directions with vents on each end?

I don't know why, but I thought you had crossflow fans. Either way, you are correct on what I'm saying. I don't know if it will matter or not, but I would assume it would be better to have one fan on each amp blowingin opposite dircetions, instead of 2 at one end blwoing one way.

Why not both in the middle pointing up with a little air entry on both sides?