rich00

Am I gonna need a SSf?

So my 4 channel doesnt have a SSF built in so am I gonna need with a Fi X tuned to 32hz factory reccomended box. Ive never not had one and found http://cgi.ebay.com/SUB-SONIC-FILTER-Harrison-Labs-PFMOD-SUB-tm-NEW-/190367536675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c52ca1623 which i could buy and turn to 20 or 25.

Does your amp have a set ssf? I know some amps have a non adjustable type. Think they are usually 30-35hz. Perhaps check your manual.

I don't have any exp with external ssf's but that one you linked look like it would do the job. Dunno if going down to 25 would be too low though.

box is tuned at 32hz so why block 30hz thats not much lower than port freq? Is that a big deal?

I was just saying that I didn't know. I've almost always ran sealed boxes so never had to deal with that.

Looked up your amp and it says your low pass is like 40-160hz. So I would assume below that is cut off but I may be wrong.

anything lower that the port tuning is BAD.... Why do you think tuning is done??? Anyway, that SSF looks pretty decent but looks more for "home" audio....? Can't really tell from looking at it especially since I been drinking.... sorry... :suicide-santa:

The FMODs and PFMODs have always been for car audio. You don't need a SSF just because you have a ported box. First, you're not running that much power. Second you're not tuned all that high like with a SPL leaning box that unloads hard under tuning. I've yet to use one and never had a problem. If you're concerned, model the sub and box up in WinISD and look at the excursion plot with the amount of power that you will be running. If you're grossly exceeding Xmax, add the filter in the program and figure out how low you can go with the filter and keep the cone under some semblance of control.

At least yours isnt tuned to 15Hz like mine :peepwall:

If that is in car its absurd, if its home theater then different story and you might still need a SSF.

If that is in car its absurd, if its home theater then different story and you might still need a SSF.

Oh No my SSF is set at 15Hz. Its not adjustable

Oh No my SSF is set at 15Hz. Its not adjustable

Ha, I thought you meant your box. :P

Well ill try it without one once i get my sub and box and see how things go.

In addition to what Helotaxi said.....it also depends on your music selection....not a whole lot of "mainstream" music includes information in the sub-30hz range.