Sign in to follow this  
swagger_wagon468

Sundown 2000D vs. Soundstream DTR1.2200D

So... ill be buying an amp tomorrow... and I found a used saz2000d for $400 shipped. Heard absolutely nothing but good about Sundown.

I also found a new Soundstream DTR1.2200d for $260 shipped. (Woofersetc dot com) I've searched and haven't found any complaints on them.

I was just wondering what us the upside of buying the sundown for about $140 more with 200 less watts. Or the the downside of buying the Soundstream. This will be powering a XCON 18" D2.

I've heard nothing but good things about the SS DTR amps.

But for the Sundown, I can personally say that it is an amazingly powerful amplifier. I was getting over 2,400w out of mine.

I personally would pay the extra money for the peace-of-mind of having a VERY strong amplifier and amazing CS to back it.

Most people on here will steer you towards Sundown, if you have 400 then pay for the Sundown. If it is out of your budget now then get the SoundStream, you want hear the difference between 2200watts and 2000watts. Find what amp fits your budget, fits your power needs and your application goals. This vs. that threads are useless, if you want a Sundown then buy it and if not then go another route.

I would have to agree with Jay-cee, and say to go with what fits your budget. My son choose the DTR's for his build and they have been good solid amps. He liked them because of the option of mounting them vertical and the price. My next build will be with a couple of Sundowns to give them a shot. Good Luck with your decision!!

Love my Sundown amps. I have seen a few of those Soundstreams around and they look nice. I hate that it only has 4 gauge power and ground input though. My Sundowns have 0 gauge inputs and the wire fits in there nicely. Either way I think you will be happy.

Well, I have the cash for the sundown. But I make min wage so it takes a good while for me to save up for a new addition to my setup. But how can the soundstream deliver 2200 watts and only have 4ga powers and ground? I've never seem that b4. I've always seen that most amps 1500+watts have the ability to accept 0ga. Hmm o well..

and I do kno how annoying this vs that threads can get considering they are mostly opinionated...im just curious about spending $140 extra for a amp that puts out about the same power. Ill probobly end up going with the saz2000d. But just want peoples opinions.

Edited by swagger_wagon468

The DTR boards are fairly cheaply made units -- typically put out the power they claim but simply aren't a rugged, over-built design by any means. You pay more for an amp designed to handle more abuse and that isn't throw-away when blown.

Amps are like anything else in the world that is sold, there are cheap versions and then there are more expensive versions. It comes down to how you want to spend your money and personal preference. Your saying your trying to justify spending $140 but your complaining about 4 gauge inputs, that should show you were your $140 is going when purchasing that SoundStream vs. the Sundown. Not saying you wont get power, but will you get longevity and so on.

Sundown it is!. Thanks everyone.

A SAZ-1500D would work too. Can be found under 300$.

i have an old school saz-3000d and i have loved it, and if i kill it being dumb theres all ways DB-r to repair the amps if you kill them, from what i understand depending on how bad it is he replaces all the components on the board off and gives you new ones in the repair, aka new ish amp. also i most of the sundown amps do rated power at 12.8V instead of 14.4V so more power when you are abusing your electrical.

I was going to get that originally. But leaves no headroom at all. And I might upgrade later on. Like a BTL or zcon.

It doesn't matter what sub you are using. You aren't going to hear a difference between 1500w and 2kw.

If this setup isn't for SPL competitions and is designed primary for daily listening, then don't worry about the extra 500w regardless of subwoofer. If you plan on actually competing in a serious manor then yes, the larger amp would be a better investment. But otherwise, it's unnecessary.

But for the Sundown, I can personally say that it is an amazingly powerful amplifier. I was getting over 2,400w out of mine.

At what THD? That's pretty relevant information.

I was going to get that originally. But leaves no headroom at all. And I might upgrade later on. Like a BTL or zcon.

It doesn't matter what sub you are using. You aren't going to hear a difference between 1500w and 2kw.

If this setup isn't for SPL competitions and is designed primary for daily listening, then don't worry about the extra 500w regardless of subwoofer. If you plan on actually competing in a serious manor then yes, the larger amp would be a better investment. But otherwise, it's unnecessary.

i will probly go to a few competitions just for shits and giggles. not on a daily basis though. i found the saz2000 for $400. buying it tonight. :dancing:

At what THD? That's pretty relevant information.

I'm not sure, I have no way to test that.

You won't be disappointed with Sundown Audio, I have the 1500D now and will be replacing it very soon with the 3500D

Sundown it is!. Thanks everyone.

A SAZ-1500D would work too. Can be found under 300$.

Where can I find a SAZ-1500D under 300? Iv been looking for one and its hard to find Sundown dealers.

Sign in to follow this