Sign in to follow this  
wafsman

got a new ride.. designing a new system

So I just got me a new ride, 99 Dodge Dakota extended cab, which means designing a new system and a little insight from the wonderful minds at the SSA forums.

As stated, ride is a 99 Dodge Dakota extended cab with rear seats removed. Completely stock at the moment.

Planned electrical would be Big 3 upgrade with 0 ga, stock battery up front and a Kinetik 2400 in the back. Wasn't planning on upgrading the alt at this point, but I realize it may be a necessary upgrade in the future.

Already decided on equipment would be an Alpine digital media receiver and some Second Skin sound deadening, yeah not much but a start.

I listen to hard rock, metal and some rap.

Budget would be 2500 for everything, which puts me at about 1600-1700 for speakers and amps, may be able to go slightly higher if needed, but I'm trying to avoid that. Also looking to go used wherever possible.

System goals would be to achieve bone-rattling bass, chest-thumping mids and clean-crisp highs. This truck wil be an everyday truck that wil be listened to everyday.

I plan to do some fiberglass work in this project, including the door panels to fit two 6.5's in each panel and the A-pillars to fit two tweeters, or maybe a tweeter and a small midrange.

Now the ideas I have running around my brain. For mids and highs, I was thinking two pairs of Alpine Type-R 6.5" components running on an amp pushing 100-150 rms on four channels. For lows, I was thinking of four Alpine Type-R 12's sealed or two FI Audio BL 15's ported, running on 2000-2500 rms. Sub amp setups I have been looking into are two JL 1000/1's, Kicker 2500, Sundown 2500, two Alpine pdx1000's, there seem to be quite a few options here, opinions welcome. Trying to decide on sub setup also, I am a big fan of the Alpine and FI, I've always heard that what matters when it comes to output, its how much air you're pushing and my brain tells me that four 12's are gonna push more air than two 15's, but I have heard a lot about FI subs sounding like they have more than what's actually there, I.e. running a single 10 that is louder than two 12's or whatever, any insight here would also be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a good plan and a nice list of equipment. If you want a lot of bass I would go with a pair of 15" BL's ported.

As far as mids/tweets take a look at what the SSA store has for Bravox product. Great prices on a great speaker line.

Amps well i'm very biased towards Sundown but your choices are all very good.

I have 2 bl 15's on a sundown 3000 and love them but I'm biased I don't really care for Alpine to much.

ive heard alpine type R 12s before. not that impressed. so i would go Fi on the subs.

as for the components, you can get alot more for the price of the typr R components. as stated above, the bravox ones are nice. i have the carbon fiber ones and i love them.

and since you are looking for used, i have an amp that you might be interested in for your components. Linear Power 2202. great amp. PM me if you want details.

good luck with you build man!

Edited by swagger_wagon468

i recommend you just do 1 set of components and pick a nice set like bravox

for amps you can spend alot or check out audioclinic on ebay, the 4085 bridged to a set of bravox would be sweet!

id look for a used sub amp in the for sale section,,

2 JL 1000's ? Not with your budget !

If you're very limited on space, the Alpine amps are so small, you'll love them for that.

But I love my Sundown amps, so...

You should find good deals on used sub/amp combos. But there are some deals in the ssa store too, like the xcon sub + a Sundown 1500 amp, for example. I had it in my car, and loved it. I sold the sub because there were too much people wanting it, and I got a fantastic deal locally !!!:peepwall:

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, its greatly appreciated. So general consensus seems to be two BL15's will be better, sounds good. As far as amps go I would love to go with the two JL's (which I've seen on here for 400-450 used, so at the top end, but still within my budget), but it seems that most on here say money would be better spent running Sundown. I'm obviously biased towards what I've personally heard, which is mostly JL and Kicker, but its hard to argue that I've yet to hear bad things about Sundown. For components, once again I'm onlyl hearing good things about this Bravox stuff, but can one set of components really keep up with two BL15's on a Sundown 3000? Thanks again for all your help and input.

Try one set of components in a good install (seal all door holes, put some sound deadening material,...)and you will know if you really need more.

You don't need 3000 watts to run 2 bl's, if you're looking for Sundown, the saz2500 would be fine on those subs. And they are cheaper, refurbished at db-r.com.

He, even 2000 watts would be enough, with a proper enclosure.

Save on amps, some brands are cheaper, save on subs/speakers, but don't try to save money on the box. Get a good custom box made for your car, for the power you will use,... I have used several boxes in my car on the same sub to know what is better for my car.

Stock battery and an AGM in the back is not the best thing to do, for what I know. Put a big AGM batt under the hood with the big3 done, and see if you have voltage drops. You will upgrade later.

Good luck !!!

Custom box is definitely in the works. Although I have been thinking about size restrictions and I don't think I will be able to fit the proper enclosure for the two BL15's in a ported enclosure, so I have been pondering a few new ideas and I could use your input. Been thinking about either running either four SA-8's on two Sundown 1000D's in a ported enclosure or running two ICON 15's on two Sundown 1000D's in a sealed enclosure. What do you guys think? As for front stage I have been looking into CDT as a better alternative, thinking about running the CL-41/25 Pro 4" Components up in the a-pillars and the CL-69 Mid-Subwoofer in the front doors all running on a Sundown 100.4. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Custom box is definitely in the works. Although I have been thinking about size restrictions and I don't think I will be able to fit the proper enclosure for the two BL15's in a ported enclosure, so I have been pondering a few new ideas and I could use your input. Been thinking about either running either four SA-8's on two Sundown 1000D's in a ported enclosure or running two ICON 15's on two Sundown 1000D's in a sealed enclosure. What do you guys think? As for front stage I have been looking into CDT as a better alternative, thinking about running the CL-41/25 Pro 4" Components up in the a-pillars and the CL-69 Mid-Subwoofer in the front doors all running on a Sundown 100.4. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

i have a 2002 dodge dakota extended cab and im running 2 15's ported, box is under the rear window line. its 2 AQ sdc2.5 15's and it gets loud, but im gonna wall it and do 4 sa-12's. i think i could get roughly 8 cubes under the window like and like 12-13 walled off. just letting you know that you have the room to do it. also this is with the box being only 15 inches deep due to the fact that my amps are infront of the box on a false floor.

i have a 2002 dodge dakota extended cab and im running 2 15's ported, box is under the rear window line. its 2 AQ sdc2.5 15's and it gets loud, but im gonna wall it and do 4 sa-12's. i think i could get roughly 8 cubes under the window like and like 12-13 walled off. just letting you know that you have the room to do it. also this is with the box being only 15 inches deep due to the fact that my amps are infront of the box on a false floor.

Thanks for the info, what are the dimensions of your box?

Thanks for the info, what are the dimensions of your box?

my box for the 2 15's is 45 wide, 15 deep and 23 tall. its slightly small for 2 15's but i could of EASILY made it larger. my new box for the 4 12's is gonna be 47 wide, 15 deep and 33 tall.

I'd rather have 1 1500 than 2 1000. Cheaper and in most cases the 1500d was louder.