Sign in to follow this  
SMpaintball78

box build for 12" mtx 9500 x2

Hello SSA,

i recently picked up 2 12" mtx 9500's in a custom HUGE ported enclosure. i have a ext. cab ford ranger and the box is about 6"'s from my roof. the length of the box is fine, but its WAYYYY to deep. i was wondering on what i should do. i had 1 12" mtx 9500 in the sledgehammer ported box and it sounded AMAZING in my truck. i know alot of people say the sledgehammer boxes are hsit, but for osme reason it sounds really good in my truck. i cant find the sledgehammer boxes anywhere, so i decided to just build my own. iv never built a box befor. i have all of the tools to do it and all the materials in my garage ready to be cut. i have a good amount of knowledge when it comes to box building. i have helped on myany projects, but never on my own. so what do u all think? do i keep looking for the sledgehammer box? or do i build my own????

Thanks

Since you say you already have all the materials needed I would go for building your own.

You did not say if the subs are dual 4 or single 4 ohm, but the recomended box spec apear to be the same on the support site.

Here are the specs for the box they recomend for one: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/TechData_T9512-04.pdf

Got that from here: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/subs.cfm

Good Luck!

Since you say you already have all the materials needed I would go for building your own.

You did not say if the subs are dual 4 or single 4 ohm, but the recomended box spec apear to be the same on the support site.

Here are the specs for the box they recomend for one: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/TechData_T9512-04.pdf

Got that from here: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/subs.cfm

Good Luck!

they are the single 4 ohm series and thanks

i think im just going to build two single boxes using there (mtx's) recommended spec's and the screw them together so it looks like one box after i carpet it.

Edited by Lantz

just make a single ported box for both no need for 2 boxes

im going to make 2 single ported boxes and screw them together when im done because im going to use the dimensions off mtx's web site. im going to start cutting in about 10 mins.

I would recomend a single chamber enclosure. I am not a box designer but you should be able to double the air space and double the port width of the recommended enclosure the real ? would be the length that the port should be for the desired tuning.

ya. im just doinf it to mtx's spec's. its much easier and i dont have to worrie about it sounding like shit because i tuned it wrong

Looking at MTX's box plans I'm not impressed, its tuned to ~41hz. :(

well my first box turned out really good. doesnt sound bad either. it is tuned a little high but its all good

Should slam on high notes and peter out quickly digging deep. There used to be a cat running one of those a while back around here, pretty damn loud for 1 12"

Should slam on high notes and peter out quickly digging deep. There used to be a cat running one of those a while back around here, pretty damn loud for 1 12"

well after school today, i went to my local audio shop and asked if it was possible to extend the port for a lower tune with these box specs and so i did. my total port length is 25" and tuned to about 35.5Hz. it sounds 10X's better! i begin my second box tomarrow!

glad to hear you're happy with the the turn out. I built a custom box for a pair of these a while back that a friend put in his car. They slammed like a mofo... Post up some pics once you've got it all done.

glad to hear you're happy with the the turn out. I built a custom box for a pair of these a while back that a friend put in his car. They slammed like a mofo... Post up some pics once you've got it all done.

alright. i glued and cyliconed the sides, the bottom, the back, and the port yesterday. today i have to put the top and front on and its all done lol. o and build another brace for the magnet. ill take pictures befor i glue the rest together so u all can see the guts lol.

well both boxes are done and installed and WOW! it brings tears to ur eyes, blurs my vision ALOT while driving and rattles everything. ill have images up later on today. now comes the next project... the big 3 and my 2nd battery

Edited by Lantz

With mainstream products like MTX, Kicker, etc. it's almost guaranteed that you should not follow the recommended specs. 99% of the time they're going to be small boxes with a small port that's tuned too high. Why? Because those kinds of boxes don't take up a lot of room, so you can fit more of their product in a given install.

The 9500's are actually really nice woofers if you're looking for a groundpounder kind of setup. They certainly have a lot of potential...

Edited by RAM_Designs

With mainstream products like MTX, Kicker, etc. it's almost guaranteed that you should not follow the recommended specs. 99% of the time they're going to be small boxes with a small port that's tuned too high. Why? Because those kinds of boxes don't take up a lot of room, so you can fit more of their product in a given install.

The 9500's are actually really nice woofers if you're looking for a groundpounder kind of setup. They certainly have a lot of potential...

ya. idk i built my first box to there exact specs. and it was tuned WAY to high. so i extended the port 10 inches to make it tuned to about 35 hz and it sounds 10x's better. why doesnt mtx just tell people to make the port a total of 25inches instead of 15????? it doesnt take up any more room on the outside and it sounds better.

as long as your happy then you did it right. good job on your first build.

looks to me you did a pretty good job from what I can tell. If you're happy with the result then that's all that matters. Have fun with the setup.

hey thanks guys. i appreicate it. ya it sounds really good. better than any prefab box lol

hey thanks guys. i appreicate it. ya it sounds really good. better than any prefab box lol

HELLZ yeah!

lol i was bumpin in my schools parkinglot befor school and the hillbilly in the next isle over (about 40 ft away) said i was rattlein his mirrors. it wasnt much rattle but hey from 50 Ft away with 2 12's i think thats pretty good lol.