Casey_920

Is the sundow 3000d a good amp choice for a btl18?

I'm looking to purchase a btl18 fully loaded "daily" I listen to mainly hip hop and I want a sub that poundes will this amp be a good match up with the btl 18?

Yup.

Have you had an amp with such power before?

I wouldn't put that much power on a single driver without prior experience with high power systems.

Have you had an amp with such power before?

I wouldn't put that much power on a single driver without prior experience with high power systems.

This

Even though the BTL can handle huge amounts of power in the long run, it will take a few mins for it to blow if you cant handle the excitement on your fingers with the volume/gain knob.

EDIT: Do you also have the basic electrical upgrades? Big 3 and 0 gauge for power and ground?

Edited by slim142

I'm not looking to blow the sub ha i've realy never had any other systems I just want something that hits hard to match with the btl I'm just confused on the amp part "what amp to use"

if that made sence

1500-2000 should be plenty for a daily application and no prior experience imo. Will be more kind to your electrical system as well.

Well does anyone know of a good amp for a btl sub?

Or does anyone know of btl is better than mtx

rms is 2000 and a good high quality 1500-2000watt amp like Sundown should be plenty satisfying, especially if you have the room for a 7-8 cube enclosure

MTX does not make a sub that I would choose over a BTL. That said, the 9500 series from MTX are pretty damn stout and the only series of subs I'd buy if I were set on MTX.

Ok soo the amp I said in the begining should be good the sundow 3000d will be good for the btl and what about adding a capicitor and stuff?

MTX does not make a sub that I would choose over a BTL. That said, the 9500 series from MTX are pretty damn stout and the only series of subs I'd buy if I were set on MTX.

Yea I was liking the btl the best so far

Yea I was liking the btl the best so far

dump the cap...have you added in HO alt costs? additional batts?

So far man, I can tell you a totally new to this. You don't need to drop $1,400+ dollars into a 3000 and a BTL if you still had the thought of a capacitor.

You would need a H/O alternator and at least two large batteries to power an SAZ3000.

I think an AQ2200 would be best for a BTL 18" for your application.

It's a big system for a first try !

Are you sure you want to go that big ?

I would start with a 1000 watts rms system, like a Fi bl (if you want Fi) and a 1000 watts amplifier. 18" is huge and need huge box, do you have room to loose like that in your car ?

You could be really satisfied with 2 Sundown SA subs on a Sundown sax 1200 amp.

If you want to change later, or add a second sub, it will be more difficult with an 18" sub than with a 12" or 15" sub.

Good luck.

I agree with bassahaulic (and Notorious) You'll be dropping well over 2 grand (probably closer to 3k+) into a system by going with the BTL and SAZ 3000 if you want to do it right. That's alot of duckets to drop on something you're likely to smoke test very quickly. Notorious has a very good idea that would probably work alot better for you and be alot cheaper while being quite loud. I vote 2 Sundown SA-15s on a Sundown 1200 or 1500. The difference in output would be minimal. The difference in cost by going with the BTL & SAZ3000D will be significant

Audioque 2200 , audiopipe 1500d are the only 2 i can suggest. or even the sundown 1500.. i use a saz1500 with my 18" btl and trust me when i tell you it pounds. plus with the 1500 you wont need as much electrical work. save you some money there.

Edited by smashedz28

Audioque 2200 , audiopipe 1500d are the only 2 i can suggest. or even the sundown 1500.. i use a saz1500 with my 18" btl and trust me when i tell you it pounds. plus with the 1500 you wont need as much electrical work. save you some money there.

Was it under a grand ?

i picked up my saz1500 used for like $250 on craigslist. you can find them around here used in the $350 or so range. new i believe closer to $500. Just an idea, what works for me may not work for you. as long as you know with a 3000rms + amp you will need to do some electrical upgrades for sure. not to mention know what it is your doing so you dont kill that nice sub

The majority of your expense with a big amp isn't actually the amplifier itself, that's only half of it. At 2000 watts your looking at buying a high output alternator (around $400) and a larger battery (around $350) in order for you to give that amplifier the necessary amount of electricity it needs to produce 2000 watts. The wiring itself will cost you around $150. I came into the game with a little experience and then decided i wanted to do exactly what you want to do. I ended up spending $1000 more than i predicted. All in all, it's expensive as hell. My substage probably cost me around $2000.

To your original question, if you have the finances to upgrade your electrical first, getting a saz3000d is a fine choice for a BTL as long as you are smart and set your gains appropriately. there is one here for $700 http://www.db-r.com/sell/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67_69_83&products_id=210

if you watch the for sale section, some are for sale about once a month. I got mine from the link i sent you and its a high quality product. You can buy from db-r safely without having to worry about it being a refurbished product.

If you do not upgrade your electrical, and you're voltage drops while you're running the amp, you can ruin the amp. that's for ANY amp not just a sundown. Monitoring your voltage is easy! You can buy a volt meter for like $20 to make sure the amp isn't dropping to voltages too low (below 12v). Stinger probably makes the most common volt meter i've seen.

I've been running my BTL18 on a saz-3000d for 8 months now with an iraggi high-output alt and a shuriken bt120 battery with little to no problems.

Good-luck man. People are gonna drag on you for not doing alot of research first but i don't really have a problem with it. I'll try to help you with anything you need, as long as i can actually help! I don't know a lot, but i know some!

It takes power to make power.

It takes power to make power.

This.

If your willing to drop the money, a SAZ3000 and a BTL would beat hard.

An AQ 2200d would be cheaper, and might be able to be ran with only a couple extra batts.

Just make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's with a system like this for your first.

Although it seems like youre set on a btl, I am going to suggest otherwise like some others have already. No offense intended, a Btl is far from a beginner's driver and powering it sufficiently will cost you a crapload of money in electrical upgrades. If you were to go with two Sa-15s on a sax1200, I am sure you would be more than satisfied. In fact, I am positive that you will be more than satisfied, assuming that you are not surrounded by audiophiles who are all running 2-3k systems. Simply put, two Sa-15s in the right box will make you shit yourself if youre not used to high output substages.

Gotta disagree there deto.. ive had a ton of systems in the past.. mostly kicker or some off the shelf bs. never really ran a ported enclosure before, for damn sure no extra battery's/ ho alts.. my first system i did that i took seriously used a gen 2 BTL... Still love it everyday I hear it. If you plan well and research what it is your going to do then a BTL will be great. I didnt really have the money when i started building my tahoe but i was set on a BTL also (thank youtube for that). But i did my homework, saved up the money needed to do it right. collected all the equipment needed then installed it. Never be afraid to ask questions, just provide people with the info they need to guide you. If you want an extreme amount of bass and your stuck on a BTL then go for it man, just do it right or just dont bother.

Edited by smashedz28