Im not necessarily in need of a high output alt right now; however, I would like to make the purchase while I have some funds so I dont end up screwin myself over later on if I decide to upgrade the system. I know that many on the forum will recommend DC power, Mechman etc. but I rather not spend $600 on an alt if possible. After searching around the web for a bit I came across qualitypowerauto.com. I searched my specific vehicle and noticed that they have an option of a 200 amp alt for $285, an unbeatable price as far as I know. My question is, could it be possible that this is a legitimate alternator and wont turn out to be a waste of money?

The websites notes that the company actually builds the alternators and that they require 5 days before shipping to do so. Other than the price, because it is so low, all signs suggest that the company is legitimate. I would really appreciate it if anyone could chime in and let me kno if they have had any experience with the site or any thoughts in general about it. Thanks!

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True, It's A Waste Of Money As Far As Alternators Go.

Every No-Name Internet Dealer Alt I've Ever Seen (MotorCityReman And The Like) Turns Out To Be Junk That Produces Anywhere From 50-90 Amps Less Than Rated At 3000 Engine RPM.

DC Power, Ohio Gen, And Mechman All Cost That Much For A Reason.

If They Don't Show A Tech Sheet With Outputs Rated, Don't Touch It.

$285 does sound a little good to be true, I use Ohio Generator, they are a bit pricey, I know Mechman has 3 alts. 250-270 amp all under $500, in my opinion that is not a bad deal.

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True, It's A Waste Of Money As Far As Alternators Go.

Every No-Name Internet Dealer Alt I've Ever Seen (MotorCityReman And The Like) Turns Out To Be Junk That Produces Anywhere From 50-90 Amps Less Than Rated At 3000 Engine RPM.

DC Power, Ohio Gen, And Mechman All Cost That Much For A Reason.

If They Don't Show A Tech Sheet With Outputs Rated, Don't Touch It.

I have tried the less expensive route, and I pretty much got what you can purchase at AutoZone for 89.99. I spent about what you are referring to as price and for another 100-125 I could have had a Quality alt. to start with. We learn from our mistakes and hopefully the mistakes of others. Good Luck.

What's the idle amperage like? What vehicle is this for?

Its an 01 infiniti i30 and I emailed customer service from qualitypowerauto requesting more information.

"Our 200 amp alternator will produce 120 amp at idle. Our prices are lower than our competition and we know this. It does not cost that much to upgrade from the stock 125 amp factory alternator that you currently have in your vehicle to our 200 amp unit so we won't add a lot of money if it is not justified. We have a one year warranty on our alternators. We are not looking to get rich off of each alternator sale, however, we will be raising prices soon to reflect higher costs on our end for copper and fuel. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the inquiry"

Im impressed so far. I understand that these words can be empty to a degree but I do not think he wouldve replied if he did not feel that his product was legitimate. I understand that 120 amps at idle is nothing special but my current factory alt is a 100amp so this would be a solid upgrade and, for $285, it seems like a good idea.

Any thoughts about response? Could this indicate that the product is legitimate?

I asked the rep how the company would deal with the product not meeting expectations and whether they would compensate me at all if it did not perform as expected. His response:

"We test each unit before shipping. The alternator must meet those specs at a minimum. They very often can be 10 - 40 amp over the ratings we advertise."

Any thoughts?

I would ask them if the alternator is actually a specifically designed high output alt or simply a rebuilt OEM unit. The Infinity page doesn't say anything, but on the GM page it says "Using a Delco AD244 alternator, we install a heavier wound stator and higher amp rectifier and rotor to give these units more bottom end power and higher total amperage output." Which to me reads that they take an OEM alt and "upgrade" the minimum amount of parts.

Keep in mind this is a piece of marketing, but DC has a comparison on their website which would probably be relevant to give you an idea of the differences: Click Me

I would ask them if the alternator is actually a specifically designed high output alt or simply a rebuilt OEM unit. The Infinity page doesn't say anything, but on the GM page it says "Using a Delco AD244 alternator, we install a heavier wound stator and higher amp rectifier and rotor to give these units more bottom end power and higher total amperage output." Which to me reads that they take an OEM alt and "upgrade" the minimum amount of parts.

Keep in mind this is a piece of marketing, but DC has a comparison on their website which would probably be relevant to give you an idea of the differences: Click Me

I will send him an additional email to determine whether they are specifically designed for high output.

Also, Im not sure if you would know but, is it common for these OEM upgraded alternators to fail?

maybe a better question for a DC Power rep?

Often you get what you pay for.

I understand what you're saying impious, but using the standard case the only other parts that are upgradeable on the AD would be the voltage regulator (which may just not be mentioned). I know nothing about the company, but I really don't see anything wrong with their statement since they could just mean they use standard AD cases- which pretty much every company does anyway.

If it was me I would spend the extra money with Mechman or DC though.

If the internals are all upgraded, there's no reason why a factory case can't be used. Normally though a beefed up small case alternator will be more likely to fail due to heat. The best thing to do is use a large case when looking for high output, you get more power normally and a longer life span. I would contact all the companies you're looking into and see if they use a factory case, or a larger case, and what their warranty looks like. High output alternators are more prone to failure because they're pushed harder. Simply put you can only get so much out of things.

If you were to drive around at full open throttle your engine may last as long as the next, but it is seeing more strain so more likely to have problems.

Best luck!

Nice link. Lots of good info in it.

i would spend the extra hundred or so dollars for a company that has a positive reputation and a known name that makes solid equipment. DC or mechman is the route i'll be going.

If the internals are all upgraded, there's no reason why a factory case can't be used. Normally though a beefed up small case alternator will be more likely to fail due to heat. The best thing to do is use a large case when looking for high output, you get more power normally and a longer life span. I would contact all the companies you're looking into and see if they use a factory case, or a larger case, and what their warranty looks like. High output alternators are more prone to failure because they're pushed harder. Simply put you can only get so much out of things.

If you were to drive around at full open throttle your engine may last as long as the next, but it is seeing more strain so more likely to have problems.

Best luck!

According to the rep, all the alternators have a 1 year warranty. I asked him if I would be compensated in some way if the alt fails to produce the amperage that it is rated for; unfortunately, he avoided the question by informing me that every alt is tested before theyre sent out and most produce amperages above rated.

I wish I could afford the 600 bucks for nice DC or Mechman alt but that quite a bit more than the 285 I would be paying for the particular alt we are discussing.

i would spend the extra hundred or so dollars for a company that has a positive reputation and a known name that makes solid equipment. DC or mechman is the route i'll be going.

If I could find a nice DC or Mechman 200 amp alt for 385 I would be all over thattt ! However, the cheapest option for my vehicle is 589 give or take a few bucks, quite a significant increase in payment on my part.

"Yes, they are specifically designed for high output operation. We have been building high output units as our primary business for limo builders, emergency vehicle outfitters, custom cars, stereo installs, etc. since 1994. We do know what will work and what will hold up for these applications."

Soo i think they just found themselves a new customer. Any objections? If I end up purchasing I will be sure to provide a review and hopefully save some fellow ssa'ers a few hundred bucks.

Honestly, I'd take the advice from some of the people here. Like you said, you don't really need a new alt, you just have some extra cash. Why not just save that money a bit longer and get something worthwhile for your vehicle?

Most of them do this, even some on this board. Don't believe all the hype that you read either. There are only two companies making HO alts that have proprietary design and components. It's been this way for years, it will be this way for years to come. There is a reason they are $600+ and there is a reason these companies have been around for over 15-20 years.

Quality has good product and good people. We used them for parts source when I was re-manning OEMs. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy from them. In fact, if I ever find a need for more power, they will be the first people I call.

Often you get what you pay for.

I understand what you're saying impious, but using the standard case the only other parts that are upgradeable on the AD would be the voltage regulator (which may just not be mentioned). I know nothing about the company, but I really don't see anything wrong with their statement since they could just mean they use standard AD cases- which pretty much every company does anyway.

If it was me I would spend the extra money with Mechman or DC though.

I wasn't trying to imply they were "bad". But considering long-term high stress usage I'd be more concerned about the potential for issues related to ability to deal with heat, etc. The OEM casing, layout and OEM-style parts might not have been designed for those types of higher heat/higher stress situations. It would be more a concern with life span than strictly amperage output.

Honestly, I'd take the advice from some of the people here. Like you said, you don't really need a new alt, you just have some extra cash. Why not just save that money a bit longer and get something worthwhile for your vehicle?

Well I can do without it but it would really help out my electrical. My voltage at my amp at idle rests around 12.5volts, clearly not high. I had some severe light dimming so i threw a deka 9a31 under my hood which helped alot but my alt is clearly not efficient enough to charge it. I can run my system at fill tilt for only a certain amount of time before my lights start to dim again.