mrazandrewm

SQ setup in Ford Ranger

Hello all. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Extended Cab truck that I wanted to put a sub-stage in. I'm gonna go ported but what Dcon sub should I get? I'm gonna buy 2 of them. Also, I'm going to buy an amp to run both subs. Here's my questions...

1) Which Dcon subs should I get? DVC or SVC?

2) How big of an enclosure would I need for said sub? What should I tune the enclosure to? Each sub will have it's own box and an external port.

3) What RMS should I run each sub? The final ohm load will b 2 ohms.

Jackson, MI ??? Mississippi ???

anyways, Welcome to SSA Bro !!! :drink40:

SQ setup huh ... :popcorn:

Welcome sir!!!

with a final ohm load of 2 ohm you will want either (2) Dual 2 Ohm subs or (2) Single 4 Ohm subs, both will get you there. As far as how much to run to them, i would say the recommended power? about 300rms ea..and for enclosure i would say to go off recommended enclosure also. You didnt say what size sub's you were going with, but looking at the SSA store the enclosure sizes are listed for each driver.

Just took a look at the dcons, dont see a dual 2 ohm option, so single 4 ohm's will be the one for you to get a 2 ohm load at the amp. You also said this is a SQ setup.. should probably list some of your front stage also as its a very important part of your goals. Thats about as far as i can go with helping you on this, Im no SQ guy what so ever and ive also never touched a Dcon, just use the recommended specs if your in doubt. should work fine.

I actually live in Jackson Michigan. Lol. It's a hicktown. Anyway, I wanted to replace my sub that came from the factory. I was thinking of doing two 12s ported. But has anyone put the Dcon 12s in a sealed enclosure? How does it sound compared to a ported enclosure? Would you recommend using 400 RMS for each Dcon 12?

I actually live in Jackson Michigan. Lol. It's a hicktown.

Awesome Bro, Just checking ... Best of luck with your system bro !!! Remember, this site loves to see pics of the ride, system work area, and most of all - the audio system itself ... and sometimes people may require pics of the girlfriend also ...

What would be better, two RE Audio SRX 10" subs or two SSA Dcon 10" subs? This is for mostly SQ setup.

The ones in the better install, but I wouldn't be interested in the Re's.

What fronts?

What fronts?

Right now I have Pioneer TS-A6871R speakers in both front and back. I'm just looking for a sub or 2 to fill the missing bass.

What fronts?

Right now I have Pioneer TS-A6871R speakers in both front and back. I'm just looking for a sub or 2 to fill the missing bass.

If you want to make the biggest SQ difference you'll start by changing those up, then worry about the sub. In the SQ realm the sub is least important part of the equation.

You would know better then I if Jackson, Mich is a "hick town".

Regardless, I'm just south of the Mi. border in Ohio and you have one of the nicest golf courses I've ever played, Grande golf course.

What fronts?

If you want to make the biggest SQ difference you'll start by changing those up, then worry about the sub. In the SQ realm the sub is least important part of the equation.

I'm content with the speakers that I have right now. Later on if I need better speakers then I will get them...later. For me the sub is important. I wanted a nice sound quality sub for my system.

Regardless, I'm just south of the Mi. border in Ohio and you have one of the nicest golf courses I've ever played, Grande golf course.

So you live near Toledo? I grew up in Toledo for a little while when I was a kid. And yea...the Grande is one of the best golf courses to play at. Also, the one up at Boyne near Traverse City. (The Red Wings play there during the summer to practice sometimes)

What fronts?

I'm content with the speakers that I have right now. Later on if I need better speakers then I will get them...later. For me the sub is important. I wanted a nice sound quality sub for my system.

You didn't quite follow. If you want SQ AT ALL your fronts need updating and the rears removing. No sub will help you have any until that is addressed. No real such thing as an SQ sub either, just an alignment and an integration into the rest of the equipment. Sure some are more geared towards alignments that are better for integrating into an SQ install, but that difference is somewhat trivial.

So you live near Toledo? I grew up in Toledo for a little while when I was a kid. And yea...the Grande is one of the best golf courses to play at. Also, the one up at Boyne near Traverse City. (The Red Wings play there during the summer to practice sometimes)

Yep, I'm in Toledo. Jackson is about a 2 hour drive for me. Traverse city would probably require a stop, or two, for gas.

M5 knows his s**t up, down and sideways. He helped me with my build and I appreciate it every time I listen to it.

Don't think that better equipment always means more expensive. I've fallen into that trap before.

Are you looking for a an SQ setup, or just a good sounding sub system? The thread title may be misleading.

I've got a 2000 extended cab ranger, the build is in my sig, I'm using 2 eclipse ti's sealed for now.

I'm still working on which direction to point my subs for the best blend with my front stage.

Yep, I'm in Toledo. Jackson is about a 2 hour drive for me. Traverse city would probably require a stop, or two, for gas.

M5 knows his s**t up, down and sideways. He helped me with my build and I appreciate it every time I listen to it.

Don't think that better equipment always means more expensive. I've fallen into that trap before.

Are you looking for a an SQ setup, or just a good sounding sub system? The thread title may be misleading.

I've got a 2000 extended cab ranger, the build is in my sig, I'm using 2 eclipse ti's sealed for now.

I'm still working on which direction to point my subs for the best blend with my front stage.

The interior of your truck is way different than what mine looks like. lol. I guess Ford changed the look in 2 years. Anyway...that's an awesome build that you did. I never thought of using metal for kerfed ports. How did that sound?

What fronts?

You didn't quite follow. If you want SQ AT ALL your fronts need updating and the rears removing. No sub will help you have any until that is addressed. No real such thing as an SQ sub either, just an alignment and an integration into the rest of the equipment. Sure some are more geared towards alignments that are better for integrating into an SQ install, but that difference is somewhat trivial.

M5...sorry I snapped at you a little bit. What kind of front stage should I look into? My total price range is between 300-400 dollars (that includes buying a sub and amp). I should also mention that my truck came with an audio system built in it. Ford and Pioneer teamed together to come up with the Tremor package for the Ranger. So it came with an amplifier (specs unknown) that run the front speakers and the subwoofer (10" in a 1.2 ft^3 enclosure). I want to try and buy everything together. So what sub would you recommend? What component speakers would you recommend? And what amp to power the sub (I want a separate amp for the sub bc idk what the specs are for the amp in my truck)? I could also take pictures of the amp that is in my truck now if that'll help.

The interior of your truck is way different than what mine looks like. lol. I guess Ford changed the look in 2 years. Anyway...that's an awesome build that you did. I never thought of using metal for kerfed ports. How did that sound?

If you like a 12db or so gain around port resonance, it would be right up your alley.

It had the dash jumping up and down and door flex like crazy with anything between 30-40 hz, but dropped off sharp above/below that range.

The box was too big and I removed it after about a week. This is the way BBP predicted the box would sound, I didn't believe it would peak that bad. Oh well, I now know i don't want more than a 3 db gain at port tuning, they sound like sh*t to me for music.

The kerf port would blow my hat off my head when the volume was up.

As far as the port using steel, it was simply an easy way to do it, for me.

I don't know if you looked at my front stage build log or not, but I have less than $300.00 in the drivers, all six of them, and they sound/image damn good.

Bass is bass, the rest of the spectrum of music is more important to me.

If you're truly happy with what you have up front, I envy you.

I don't use rear speakers, haven't for allot of years.

A sales person at a local stereo shop, that I became friends with, asked me if I went to concerts and stood with my back facing the stage.

I said no, and have been working on achieving the best front stage I am able to. No more rears after that, it took awhile to get used to.

If I were you I'd restate what you'd like to achieve in your truck, specific shortcomings.

With more information people on here will have a better idea on what to recommend to you.

Here's the deal. The vehicle is a 2002 Ford Ranger Extended Cab truck. I have from 300 to 425 dollars to spend on component speakers, 1 (12" sub) or 2 (10" subs), amp to power the sub(s), two amp wiring kits, and an amp to power the component speakers. I mainly listen to Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, Techno, Trance, Classical, and Progressive Rock. I also listen to some Rap, Hip-Hop, and Rnb. This will be a clean sounding system. Sound clarity is my number 1 concern. But I would like to bump it up a bit now and then. The subs will be going into a ported enclosure (which I will build to specification but tuned low around 28-30 Hz). If anyone could help me out, that be awesome.

I have from 300 to 425 dollars to spend on component speakers, 1 (12" sub) or 2 (10" subs), amp to power the sub(s), two amp wiring kits, and an amp to power the component speakers. If anyone could help me out, that be awesome.

My suggestion Bro ... Save up some more money ... :drink40:

I have from 300 to 425 dollars to spend on component speakers, 1 (12" sub) or 2 (10" subs), amp to power the sub(s), two amp wiring kits, and an amp to power the component speakers. If anyone could help me out, that be awesome.

Would this setup work for my Ranger?

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

CWM-6KIT (Cadence 6.5 Component Speakers)

Planet Audio AC1500.1M (Mono Amp)

(2) RE Audio SRX 10D4 (2 10" subs)

Total comes to $425

Edited by mrazandrewm

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

Total comes to $425

I'm on a audio team bro (team Linear Power / Blues Car Audio) ... I can't recommend other audio brands (conflict of interest) ...

Sounds like a good setup though, maybe someone else will chime in here and help you out. Best of luck on yous system bro ...

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

Total comes to $425

I'm on a audio team bro (team Linear Power / Blues Car Audio) ... I can't recommend other audio brands (conflict of interest) ...

Sounds like a good setup though, maybe someone else will chime in here and help you out. Best of luck on yous system bro ...

Thats cool. I wasn't going for an all out competition grade sound system. That would be too much money out of my pocket for now. Thanks anyway for your help. Hopefully others can help me out. BTW...how do you get on an audio team? I'm just curious. Maybe one day you'll see my Yellow Ranger out there. :drink40:

This will be a clean sounding system. Sound clarity is my number 1 concern. But I would like to bump it up a bit now and then.

Clarity & bump means more budget.

I can't recommend other audio brands (conflict of interest)

You shouldn't recommend anything anyways as your e-boner towards what you run is absurd.

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

Total comes to $425

First budget savings would be to go to a single sub with more cone area, but impossible for us to recommend without knowing box size constraints.

I am generally an amp is an amp guy, but the Kenwoods lately I have seen are not worth owning.

In your budget you should also be shopping used. It will help a ton.

I realize you were hoping for recommendations, but availability is not so easy and your budget is rather constrained. You are starting to go down the right path though :)

This will be a clean sounding system. Sound clarity is my number 1 concern. But I would like to bump it up a bit now and then.

Clarity & bump means more budget.

I can't recommend other audio brands (conflict of interest)

You shouldn't recommend anything anyways as your e-boner towards what you run is absurd.

KAC-5204 (Kenwood Amp)

Total comes to $425

First budget savings would be to go to a single sub with more cone area, but impossible for us to recommend without knowing box size constraints.

I am generally an amp is an amp guy, but the Kenwoods lately I have seen are not worth owning.

In your budget you should also be shopping used. It will help a ton.

I realize you were hoping for recommendations, but availability is not so easy and your budget is rather constrained. You are starting to go down the right path though :)

Thanks M5. Are Cadence component speakers any good? I think I found a good deal on a new pair of Cadence ZRS65KS 6.5" for only $55. I do have an amp that is powering the front speakers in my truck, but the problem is that I don't know what the RMS rating of the amp is. It was included in the Tremor package from Ford and Pioneer. Should I not bother with a 2 channel amp to power the front component speakers for now (I could buy it later on if my amp doesn't do the speakers justice)? The sub enclosure would be going in the cab of the truck behind the front seats. What enclosure would you recommend? I was thinking of getting 2 subs because my one that's behind the seats now is struggling to keep up with the Heavy Metal genre and Techno. Would 2 subs be better than 1? If I went to a ported enclosure, I would get one or two 10" subs. If I went sealed, then I would get two 12" subs. I would also build the enclosure to spec.