Dan208

Do I have this right? (sealed/ported question)

From what I've been reading, using a ported box will give you a 3 db gain in output, as will using a second subwoofer.

Right now I'm running a ported Dcon. So, if I were to buy another one, it would pretty much be a waste of money to run them sealed? I should be getting the same amount of output from one ported as I would from two sealed?

(Someone should really change the title under my name from "Member" to "Forum idiot". :ehh: )

The more cone area you have will net u extra deebeez, cuz ur moving more air.

Nothing wrong with a sealed box, imo

ported just makes the motor more efficient.

kinda like a car with a stock exhaust v. a good magnaflow exhaust.

Everything is box dependent, but generically speaking the gains may not be noticeable. Exactly why space is always my first question in an install (which you remember from your other thread)

Everything is box dependent, but generically speaking the gains may not be noticeable. Exactly why space is always my first question in an install (which you remember from your other thread)

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure before I spent the money on another Dcon.

Nothing wrong with a sealed box, imo

This is my first ported box. After running both, I actually prefer the sound of a sealed box. Not that the ported one sounds bad, though.

it should be pretty close.

it depends on the box, your amp, and what size of the vehical you have.

sealed with 2 will proboly have close to one ported in bass.

but having ported you will have more pressure to the ear.

it will be close but like i said, post some specs about the set up you have and what u want to have with 2 12's and maybe someone a little more experieced can help you out better.... first thing i learned here was the sound u produce is 20%equipment and 80%installation

it should be pretty close.

it depends on the box, your amp, and what size of the vehical you have.

sealed with 2 will proboly have close to one ported in bass.

but having ported you will have more pressure to the ear.

it will be close but like i said, post some specs about the set up you have and what u want to have with 2 12's and maybe someone a little more experieced can help you out better.... first thing i learned here was the sound u produce is 20%equipment and 80%installation

Right now I have a 10" Dcon (single 4 ohm) running off an RF Prime 500.1. It's rated at 320@4 ohms and 500@2 ohms (birth sheet says it did 521@2).

:ghost: My 4 year old wanted me to put this here. LOL

DCON's really shine when you port them.

DCON's really shine when you port them.

I'm still amazed at what this single 10" does on 320 watts. It's a lot louder and lower than any two 12's I've ever had and sounds so much better too. I plan on building a sealed box for it in the next few weeks. I'm just curious as to what it sounds like sealed, plus I want to get some box build experience.

Personally wouldn't run them sealed. They are really geared towards ported enclosures.

Personally wouldn't run them sealed. They are really geared towards ported enclosures.

Thanks.

remember, if you go to two of them, not only are you going to double your surface area, but you will then run that amp at 2 ohms, thus upping your power, which could make the difference.

The general rule as I always thought, was that, going to a properly built ported could gain you 3 db, or doubling you cone area will gain the 3 db, or dubling power can. These are in theory, in reality, doing any of these, in real world may not actually get you this gain due to environmental factors.

I would think that even though you would go from one ported to 2 sealed, you would also be upping the power output, this could make a difference, may not....

And, if the Dcons aren't designed to be optimal in a sealed enclosure, then that could make a difference as well...

remember, if you go to two of them, not only are you going to double your surface area, but you will then run that amp at 2 ohms, thus upping your power, which could make the difference.

The general rule as I always thought, was that, going to a properly built ported could gain you 3 db, or doubling you cone area will gain the 3 db, or dubling power can. These are in theory, in reality, doing any of these, in real world may not actually get you this gain due to environmental factors.

I would think that even though you would go from one ported to 2 sealed, you would also be upping the power output, this could make a difference, may not....

And, if the Dcons aren't designed to be optimal in a sealed enclosure, then that could make a difference as well...

Good point, personally, as long as I have the room to use additional cone area I choose it over using more power (double, triple power, etc).

Thanks for all the help, guys. I've got until this summer to decide what I want to do, but I've got so many ideas running through my head. I'd like to try multiple subs (more than two), a 15" (never had a 15" before), etc. I'm still trying to decide how much space I want to give up, and I want to try something different. I need to do some measuring and see if I can fit anything in my spare tire well.

The gain in output below say 45-50hz when using a ported box is definitely noticeable...no doubt about that. Just model up some good sealed and ported woofers and see how more efficient a lower tuned ported box is in those lower frequencies. Now it all depends if that's what you like. I personally like a low-tuned box over a sealed one.

Just modeling up an Exodus Shiva-X in 1.5ft^3 sealed, vs a 15" Dayton HO in a 3.5ft^3 at 28hz box: the Dayton is 1db up at 60hz, 2db at 50hz, nearly 4db at 40hz, 5.5db at 30hz, and they cross paths at about 19hz. F3 of 38hz for the Shiva-X vs. 26hz for the Dayton.

Edited by RAM_Designs

The gain in output below say 45-50hz when using a ported box is definitely noticeable...no doubt about that. Just model up some good sealed and ported woofers and see how more efficient a lower tuned ported box is in those lower frequencies. Now it all depends if that's what you like. I personally like a low-tuned box over a sealed one.

Just modeling up an Exodus Shiva-X in 1.5ft^3 sealed, vs a 15" Dayton HO in a 3.5ft^3 at 28hz box: the Dayton is 1db up at 60hz, 2db at 50hz, nearly 4db at 40hz, 5.5db at 30hz, and they cross paths at about 19hz. F3 of 38hz for the Shiva-X vs. 26hz for the Dayton.

Should really do this comparison with a driver that has an EBP that puts it in potentially either style enclosure and then do the comparison. Then not only will you see the efficiency gains of a low tuned enclosure, but perhaps also one that is tuned higher. Again focusing this on music tastes and desires is a good thing. I all too often see people recommend 30Hz tuning for someone who should be much closer to the 40's. Not at all implying that you are stating that, in fact, I like that you said "I personally" :) Just want to clarify for others reading and give them a task to really help them understand as once you have the variable of two different drivers it can confused the situation. BTW, I like the drivers you picked though :)