nick_19

My sub died, why?

Ok so my sub stopped playing today; neither coil will measure either.

The only thing that is bothering me is that I cannot understand why. I do not think I overpowered it in all honesty. I've had the same amp on it for 2 years.

The coil visually looks brand new: no melted former or discoloration.

I cannot see breaks in the tinsel leads or wire ANYWHERE.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the bottom of the spider crashed into the top plate; none that I can see.

There is no rubbing when I push down on the cone.

I've tried the sub on multiple amps. Any ideas what broke on me? Tinsel leads broken inside of the spider? That wouldn't make a lot of sense, though. The spider is not burnt or discolored anywhere.

The sub is an Ascendant Audio Havoc 15. I've always has a -24 dB/octave subsonic filter at 27 Hz on. I'm lost.

The only thing I can think of is excurting enough to snap a lead

Well that sucks bro 2years in a good life spand though.

Yea sounds like possibly the leads are broken off on the inside where you cannot see them. I know i had over excurted my sub before and it didnt leave any burn marks, they just broke off from moving back and forth so much. (man that sounds so DIRTY!!!!)

Haha yes it does.

See the thing that I did not want to say originally is that this happened to me before. When I sent the sub in, they told me that the spider had crashed into the top plate, causing the lead to snap. I learned from this and have the sub in a box tuned to 28 Hz (4.5 cu. ft.) and NEVER turn the subsonic off. I don't understand how it could have over-excurted? It just doesn't make sense to me. This is the second time it has happened on the same sub... but this time I made sure to do everything I could to PREVENT it from happening. The really strange part is that the sub died on me at first at a VERY low volume. Then, it came back on out of nowhere. I beat for a little while (full volume) and it was fine. Then, it died AGAIN at low volume (like 20/35) and never came back on. This is exactly what happened to me last time. How very strange. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong... The box isn't too big and it can't be excurting (for lack of a better word) too much... Who knows?

Edited by nick_19

Yup sounds like time for a new sub tinsels broke somewhere, can't say for sure why though but could have just been it's time and who knows maybe the warmer temps allowed a ticking bomb that developed over the cold winter to give way.

Send it out to PSI. They will make your sub better than new

i burned a lead two weeks ago

Send it to Fi / AA.

Contact them first on their sub-forum, here at ssa. Or send them an email.

Send it out to PSI. They will make your sub better than new more broken and a piece of shit

Fixored :)

Nick, the leads don't last forever, they are woven wire so they can only be snapped back and forth for so long before they finally snap.

Send it out to PSI. They will make your sub better than new more broken and a piece of shit

Fixored :)

Nick, the leads don't last forever, they are woven wire so they can only be snapped back and forth for so long before they finally snap.

Win. OP, send it to AA / FI as stated by others.

Thanks for the words.

I have sent it to Fi before and got it reconed (with the at-the-time 'new') embedded leads and updated spider kit when this happened to this very sub before. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from how much I use the sub (especially at high power). I emailed them asking the price of a recone. I can cone the sub myself. I HATE (and I mean f**king HATE) shipping subs. Thanks guys. It does make sense that those leads won't last... They do seem relatively fragile.

They are extremely sturdy, when you consider the abuse they go through :)

They are extremely sturdy, when you consider the abuse they go through :)

Oh I completely agree. What I mean by relatively was durability versus, say, the basket or speaker wire.

And as far as shipping it off to PSI.... I trust Fi/AA's engineering... Of course I would like the sub to perform to it's fullest, but I believe this sub has been engineered to perform at its best as is.