edouble101

How-to remove excessive expanding foam

You're going to delaminate the surround if you put acetone on it...especially enough to get that much foam off.

Hate to say it man but you're kind of screwed...it's leave it until it breaks and then recone it..

Why don't you just try. Soak a little acetone on a towel and gently rub it on a non damaged part of the subwoofer so you can clearly see if it is doing any harm like melting it or loosing its color. Have a clean towel in your other hand if it is damaging the cone so you can wipe it out fast.

You can try the same technique on the dried foam, apply and wipe fast so it does little to none effect on the woofer.

I'll see about that foam cleaner tomorrow. What base it is on and if it will do any good on dry foam. :)

I think I will remove as much as I can by cutting it off and leave the rest be.

I just got the PM. I have not used ACETONE on our drivers to say yes or no. We are not out of softparts for our drivers, we are out of steel for the motor assemblies, in case anyone was questioning.

Thanks for checking in.

You're going to delaminate the surround if you put acetone on it...especially enough to get that much foam off.

Hate to say it man but you're kind of screwed...it's leave it until it breaks and then recone it..

So far it is playing fine. Hopefully there isn't enough on it to negatively affect reliability. Thanks

Thanks Nick. :)

Probably a stupid suggestion but never hurts. Anyways I wonder if you play a 60 hz test tone on a low low volume, just enough to get the come to move some then get some 400 grit sandpaper and let the sub "do the work". Never had any experience with expanding foam but I'd rather have a scuff mark on my sub than foam that kinda sticks out.

I was going to say be very careful and use a razor but that seems like a dumb idea.

Soooooo, ignore that post.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am leaving it as is for now. If other issues arise I will order a recone from denim.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am leaving it as is for now. If other issues arise I will order a recone from denim.

I think that would be the best bet, as you even said you were looking to upgrade anyways. I would just say make sure that the foam isnt pulling on the surround if you can, like if it is stuck to the outer screw gasket and stuck to the surround, it might pull when it is playing. Hope you understand that post!!