sefugi

Need Info on ID Horns

As the topic title reads I need info on ID horns. I have 2 sets of horns. Both sets are full size. I have had minimal results searching for info on these horns. One set came with the install and tuning instructions. What I am looking for is the correct crossover freq. for these sets, power ratings, and the advantages of one set over the other. I did find this link for what I beleive is the V-2 version PDF but the driver in the second set of pictures does not match the driver in the PDF. Any info or input you can provide is appreciated.

1st set-Beleived to be CD1E-V1

img4040x.jpg

img4041m.jpg

2nd set-Paper work that came with it states-CD1E-V.2

img4042u.jpg

img4043ni.jpg

They Should Be About The Same Specs As The V3's, Apart From Having A Lower Sensitivity. I'm Trying To Dig Up On These A Bit For You, I'll Check Back Later.

Go poke around www.diymobileaudio.com in the horn HLCD section.

Lots of good stuff there from Eric.

I will look for some links for stuff I saved too in the meantime.

Edit to ask, your running the same mids as me right? (10NW64)

Will a full body, I would start at 800-1000 @24 and tweak from there.

Well, the link I was thinking about took me to ID forum and that is dead now.

Maybe try to go into that section and pm some of the guys that use them. That's what I would do.

Sucks the ID site is down, Eric had lots of good info on there.

Actually, it appears that the 1st set you have there are the newer CD-1e v3, and the second set as you indicated are the older CD-1e v2. The differences are that the v3 uses actual compression drivers, whereas the v2 used cheaper and lower quality performing piezo drivers. Basically, the v3 should be significantly better in just about every regard than the v2's. Power handling and sensitivity I honestly don't know about for the V3's, the sensitivity of the v2 was pretty low for a horn due to the cheaper piezo driver. IIRC the v2 didn't actually need a crossover since the piezo rolled off on it's own, for the v3 you would want to crossover around 1200hz on a steep slope (24db/oct)...even though the v3 are actual compression drivers they can't play quite as low as some of the larger compression drivers ID uses on the higher level horns.

Short story is there should be no reason at all to use the v2 over the v3.

They Should Be About The Same Specs As The V3's, Apart From Having A Lower Sensitivity. I'm Trying To Dig Up On These A Bit For You, I'll Check Back Later.

Huh? The v2 and v3 will be completely different as they use completely different drivers, including using an actual compression driver instead of a piezo unit.

Actually, it appears that the 1st set you have there are the newer CD-1e v3, and the second set as you indicated are the older CD-1e v2. The differences are that the v3 uses actual compression drivers, whereas the v2 used cheaper and lower quality performing piezo drivers. Basically, the v3 should be significantly better in just about every regard than the v2's. Power handling and sensitivity I honestly don't know about for the V3's, the sensitivity of the v2 was pretty low for a horn due to the cheaper piezo driver. IIRC the v2 didn't actually need a crossover since the piezo rolled off on it's own, for the v3 you would want to crossover around 1200hz on a steep slope (24db/oct)...even though the v3 are actual compression drivers they can't play quite as low as some of the larger compression drivers ID uses on the higher level horns.

Huh? The v2 and v3 will be completely different as they use completely different drivers, including using an actual compression driver instead of a piezo unit.

Every post you make is so informative. :wub:

Didn't Know That At The Time, Thank God You Did. I Assumed...And You You Know What They Say About People That Do That...lol.

My Apologies.

Thanks!!

Go poke around www.diymobileaudio.com in the horn HLCD section.Lots of good stuff there from Eric.I will look for some links for stuff I saved too in the meantime.Edit to ask, your running the same mids as me right? (10NW64)Will a full body, I would start at 800-1000 @24 and tweak from there.

:thanx: 10NW64=Yes, hoping to if I can get them to fit were I want them. I was originally thinking about 1200Hz

Well, the link I was thinking about took me to ID forum and that is dead now. Maybe try to go into that section and pm some of the guys that use them. That's what I would do.Sucks the ID site is down, Eric had lots of good info on there.

I have run into that same issue.

So V3>V2. Got it! I was originally thinking to cross at 1200Hz(good guess by me), only problem is I think my crossover (Arc Audio IDX) i beleive has a slope of 12db for the front and rears and the sub portion has a choice of 12 or 24db.

If this is the case with the slope should I change the crossover freq. or should I look into a different crossover. I have the IDX & XEQ as a pair, was planning to use both but have recently been noticing that the (is it digital?) units (M8 and others) seem to be used more for an active setup?

Is There A Year Stamp On The 1st Set?

Edit: Those Are Indeed V3's, Use Them Bishes.

Edited by BigCProductions99

Every post you make is so informative. :wub:

:fing34::fing34:

Is There A Year Stamp On The 1st Set?

Edit: Those Are Indeed V3's, Use Them Bishes.

Thanks!!

This is the closest thing that resembles a date.

img4044r.jpg

Those are definitely v3's. You can tell simply by their design. Which is good, should be much better than the v2's and other previous versions. The CD-1e v3's would be much closer in performance to the CD1Pro's than the prior versions of the CD-1e's.

Yes, if you have a shallower slope you would need to end up using a higher crossover point.

I honestly don't know much off hand about the processing units you are using.

with the 12db slope you can start out at 1200hz but 1500hz may be a better starting point. Once you install them play with them to see where you like them at, depending on the power you send them and listening factors you may be fine with 1200hz @ 12db.

Just seen this page: http://imagedynamicsusa.com/

Didnt know they were done, hope i can still get some ultra horns in the future.

I also have some installing info that I wrote down a while back if you need it sefugi.

Those are definitely v3's. You can tell simply by their design. Which is good, should be much better than the v2's and other previous versions. The CD-1e v3's would be much closer in performance to the CD1Pro's than the prior versions of the CD-1e's.

Yes, if you have a shallower slope you would need to end up using a higher crossover point.

1800-2000Hz possibly?

I honestly don't know much off hand about the processing units you are using.

I do not have the paperwork on these units, so I will have to verify the slope of the crossover. Not using(just have them) yet just doing homework...

with the 12db slope you can start out at 1200hz but 1500hz may be a better starting point. Once you install them play with them to see where you like them at, depending on the power you send them and listening factors you may be fine with 1200hz @ 12db.

Have seen that page from multiple directions!

Thanks

They aren't actually "done" per say. The short version of what's going on: Eric Stevens founded ID. He later brought in an investor/co-owner. Recently the co-owner and Eric were unable to work some things out, so Eric left (or was "forced out", depending on how you look at it). When Eric left, Matt B. left as well I do believe. The co-owner now has control of ID as a company. What path ID will take now that Eric and Matt are gone is not yet certain. I don't believe anybody has really heard much of anything out of the new owners to see what their plans are. Eric I don't believe has publicly stated what his intentions are now either.

I also have some installing info that I wrote down a while back if you need it sefugi.

Thanks so much!!! Yes all info and ideas I can obtain will help. PM me and I'll give an e-mail for the info. Thanks again!

They aren't actually "done" per say. The short version of what's going on: Eric Stevens founded ID. He later brought in an investor/co-owner. Recently the co-owner and Eric were unable to work some things out, so Eric left (or was "forced out", depending on how you look at it). When Eric left, Matt B. left as well I do believe. The co-owner now has control of ID as a company. What path ID will take now that Eric and Matt are gone is not yet certain. I don't believe anybody has really heard much of anything out of the new owners to see what their plans are. Eric I don't believe has publicly stated what his intentions are now either.

:(

:(

Sucks to hear that, thanks for the heads up Brad.

I thought ID was sold to powerbass? Or something dealing with powerbass.

Also, since Eric owns the design to the horn body, will they no longer be available under ID? I went to order some a week ago and woofersetc took them down.

I thought ID was sold to powerbass? Or something dealing with powerbass.

Honestly I couldn't tell you who it is.

Also, since Eric owns the design to the horn body, will they no longer be available under ID? I went to order some a week ago and woofersetc took them down.

It depends on who or what actually owns the patent and design (Intellectual Property). If the IP is property of Image Dynamics as a company, then it will probably stay with the company. If the IP is property of Eric Stevens, then he could probably choose to take it with him. It really depends on all of the nitty-gritty legalities that only Eric and the partner know (and even then, they may disagree which could turn into a legal battle. Not saying that is the case, just a possibility as obviously this wasn't an amicable separation).

Sefugi, you have PM. I hope it helps.

What might these be for? Your personal build, maybe?

Sefugi, you have PM. I hope it helps.

What might these be for? Your personal build, maybe?

Havn't nailed down exactly what I'm gonna do or in what but yes they will be for me me me!