Sign in to follow this  
Shogen

Lighting issues with my Camry

Alright guys, time to shine for those of you with your smart pants on...

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry. I previously had a HID conversion kit installed on my car for just over a year. I noticed about 2 months ago one of my headlights went out on the driver's side. Not sure what had happened but when I got home I turned off my car and looked to see if maybe the connection had come loose. It didn't seem to have an issue there. I turned the car back on and turned the lights on and BAM! they worked again..

It happened one more time after that and since I figured it was a random issue I just turned the lights off and back on which got it to work again.

Well, last week that same low beam went out but this time it did not work. So I said let me get rid of the HID kit to eliminate that as the issue. I installed one of my normal halogen bulbs but no go, still no light. Hmm.. Maybe I bulb was bad. I picked up 2 bulbs for $10 at the auto store and still got no light.

Thought to myself, I have a dmm lets check the power on the plug. Turned it to DCV20 and got no reading. Shit, did I do this right???? So I hook it up to my battery and get 12.7 -12.8 reading.. Okay, I did have the dmm set right. Plug it to the headlight socket, still a 0.00 reading. My dmm must be messed up. I guess I'll try and get a reading on the good socket. WOW! 12.5 coming out of the socket, so let's try this bad one again. Reading is 0.00... Checked the fuse as a last thought but it looked good to me, replaced it anyway. Still no left low beam headlight.

What could have happened? Did the wiring just go bad?

Could I just do a jump from the good headlight socket to the bad one and see if that works?

Would that be a bad permanent fix?

Could the socket easily be replaced?

Splice the wire and add a "new" socket?

Where does the head light wire go to, straight to the fuse box? Could I replace the whole assembly?

I am at a loss right now and I don't think I want to get this done at a mechanic or dealer for fear of randomness and overcharged work. I was thinking to find out what they would say at the mechanic so I might still take it for a check up..

What do you guys think? Anyone run into this before? Anyone know about cars well enough to assist?

Thanks fellas

-Danny

I may be mistaken but I beleive there is a seperate fuse for left and right headlamps. May want to start by checking that the fuses are good and have a secure connection.

This is part of the diagram for an 03 camry w/2.4.

101814431.gif

u can buy a new wiring harness from the autoparts maybe depending on the lights. what is it like 9005/6?

Think they have the pigtails.

I may be mistaken but I beleive there is a seperate fuse for left and right headlamps. May want to start by checking that the fuses are good and have a secure connection.

Yes, I checked the fuse and is seemed fine. Like I stated though I replaced it with a NEW one. I also used a bristle brush kinda like one you use for pipes to somewhat clean out the connection since it is sooo small.. So I don't think it's that, at least what I've done so far is telling me it isn't a fuse. But if the fuse or fuse holder was bad would the connector on my headlight assembly yield 0.00 reading on the dmm? or should I be getting some kind of odd rating?

This is part of the diagram for an 03 camry w/2.4.

101814431.gif

Thanks, I will look into this when I get out of work and have time to concentrate on it.

u can buy a new wiring harness from the autoparts maybe depending on the lights. what is it like 9005/6?

Think they have the pigtails.

It is a 9005/6 setup. I didn't see any at the auto store I went to and I went to autozone as well. I'll try Pepboys and see if they have something like that.

Thanks so far guys...

So 22 days later... I realized my rear left brake light was out... I changed the bulb and got the funny idea to check the voltage on the front left socket with the DMM ... So this time I get a reading but it is less that 1v.... I will see about changing/checking the fuse again now that I replaced the rear brake light... Wonder if my luck will start to turn around... :suicide-santa:

1v?:WTFBubble:

u get it figured out?

and advance has the pigtails

i put the brightlight 9005 bulb as my foglights

haven't resolved it yet... Will try re-doing the socket to see if it was just a bad connection... if that works I'll do both sides just to make things even and easier to manipulate in the future...

apparently I was checking the wrong fuses... replaced and good to go!!! :dancing:

bwahahaha :roflmao: