Sign in to follow this  
achn2b

False floor template

So I want to build a false floor in the trunk of my Miata, to cover the amps that are sitting in the recessed well of the trunk. Never having done this before, and not too skilled at woodworking, how do I make a template design that conforms to the outlines of the trunk? I know they say to trace it out on cardboard, but how do you get the cardboard pressed up into all the nooks and corners of the trunk so the tracing is accurate, to trace out a line that shows the exact curve or square of the trunk floor? So the final wood floor basically press fits into the corners and walls of the trunk?

My thought is to have a floor that covers the entire trunk, with the section covering the amp well removable, and drilled out to allow heat to escape, figure I'd paint it a nice gloss black.

Is there a carpet piece you could take out and trace to make your template?

Not really, there's a main carpeted section that follows the contour of the recessed part and surrounding area, and then other pieces on the sides snap onto, or overlap it.

I haven't really emptied out the whole trunk yet to get a real good idea of what I have to do, as it's not something I'll probably get to anytime soon. When I do, I plan on re-doing the whole system as well.

ya i tried cardboard and failed miserably. i was thinking, dnt anyone shoot if im wrong, what about laying down like a plastic kinda film that would stick but peel off easy?? lay it down then cut around the edges and lay back down on the wood. then cut it. it would be like a cutout sheet. just an idea.

Bump..i would like to know if anyone has any ideas on this? For an odd shaped trunk though, cuz i think an suv would be a lot easier. I got lucky and figured mine out but it took a while.

Edited by Jack3d SPL

Get a metal coat hanger and conform to the general contour of the curves for a rough estimate then trace on carboard then cut it to the exact curves.

I usually do it by trial and error.

If you can't fit the whole false floor through the trunk, make the biggest piece, which will sit central and have 2 wings on each side. That way the seam between the panels won't be very visible.

Technically you could make a thin layer of fiberglass (I would split the floor up into two sections) and make a copy of the curves with the fiberglass and trace that onto the wood. do this a few inches out for each side. Then find the center of the trunk and measure to each side the maximum width. Cut a piece of wood out using your max width and legth for each side and then put your fiberglass mold to the very outside edge of each piece, trace and then jig.