dr_hypothesis

Lost a coil on an N2 today

I have (4) N2 15s walled in my car. They've been installed for a couple months now and have been ripping my head off daily. Doing a 155 outlaw at 28hz! Anyways, today I seemingly lost a coil on one sub. No smoke or anything of that nature, just for some reason one coil on one sub is done for. Took the sub out and the voice coil looks fresh as can be. The other coil on the sub also reads out just fine. All of my other subs are also perfectly fine. Really have no idea what the hell happened.

Subs were bought brand new from Fi of course. Can or would this be fixed under warranty? I'd really like to get this taken care of before the comp season starts heating up here.

I have (4) N2 15s walled in my car. They've been installed for a couple months now and have been ripping my head off daily. Doing a 155 outlaw at 28hz! Anyways, today I seemingly lost a coil on one sub. No smoke or anything of that nature, just for some reason one coil on one sub is done for. Took the sub out and the voice coil looks fresh as can be. The other coil on the sub also reads out just fine. All of my other subs are also perfectly fine. Really have no idea what the hell happened.

Subs were bought brand new from Fi of course. Can or would this be fixed under warranty? I'd really like to get this taken care of before the comp season starts heating up here.

I dont think that any of the BTL series subs have a warranty.. did you read their terms and conditions at the bottom of their page??????

This is probably something that should be sent via email to Fi and see what can be worked out. :ughdunno:

Got any videos of your car? I would love to see :D

I dont think that any of the BTL series subs have a warranty.. did you read their terms and conditions at the bottom of their page??????

They don't have a warranty, but damn obviously he didn't read it or he wouldn't be asking the question.

"This warranty is valid only if the product is used for the purpose for which it was designed. *DUE TO THE EXTREME NATURE OF ITS INTENDED USAGE, THE BTL SERIES OF SUBWOOFERS HAS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE (outside of arriving in proper working condition after shipping)"

- Fi website

try a recone kit?

Here's a vid of my car from a little while ago, about 3dbs down from where it was recently.

I had 2 Gen 2 BTL 18s before this and never had any issues beating the hell out of them for as long as I had them. Didn't realize BTLs didn't have a warranty. That really f'ing sucks for me.

I haven't blown a sub in 4 or 5 years either, that was the last and only time I've ever reconed a sub myself. Is this sub really 'blown' though? I didn't smoke this bastard, but something happened, just wish I knew what. Not sure I'd really feel comfortable reconing myself the way the tinsel leads are and all that. Paying $150+ to send it in for recone and shipping kinda sucks as well. Lol, as you can tell I'm really frustrated by the whole situation.

Sorry to hear man. Good luck figuring it out...

Hoping Nick will see this and let me know what route to take here. What are people using to recone N2s? Dont' see an option listed for them under the BTL recone kits. Not sure why they'd slip in warranty return sheets in the packaging with BTLs if there is no warranty as well.

what do the papers that come in bow tell you? I assume they will tell you to send it in to have it looked at to get a final answer good luck.

So Even Manufacturer Defects Aren't Covered On The BTL Series Now?

....Wtf?

Still, I'm Going To Get An N3 For Testing.

Hopefully This Issue Gets Resolved.

Tinsel lead probably

We'll gladly take care of a manufacturing defect.

Truth of the matter is all of the soft parts are the exact same on the N2..as every other woofer. There is 16 tinsel leads on every one of them, there is absolutely no other way that we can beef them up any more with that style of basket. It is what it is.

Probably yanked it below tuning and that one sub moves more then the rest of them in that box and popped the lead. A recone will definitely fix it, but if you do not put a loading panel or something beside/behind the woofer to get it to load properly like the rest it'l simply happen again.

Put a picture of the suspension up here.

We'll gladly take care of a manufacturing defect.

Truth of the matter is all of the soft parts are the exact same on the N2..as every other woofer. There is 16 tinsel leads on every one of them, there is absolutely no other way that we can beef them up any more with that style of basket. It is what it is.

Probably yanked it below tuning and that one sub moves more then the rest of them in that box and popped the lead. A recone will definitely fix it, but if you do not put a loading panel or something beside/behind the woofer to get it to load properly like the rest it'l simply happen again.

Put a picture of the suspension up here.

I actually do have a divider in between each side of subs, but maybe I did not make it deep enough. The right side do move a little bit more than the others, but not much. The wall is also tuned to 30hz. Pics coming shortly.

What location was the woofer in, Bottom passenger side? Post a pic or pm a pic of the box inside behind the woofer that went bad. Also when you put the reconed subwoofer back in, put it in the top drivers side location.

What location was the woofer in, Bottom passenger side? Post a pic or pm a pic of the box inside behind the woofer that went bad. Also when you put the reconed subwoofer back in, put it in the top drivers side location.

Nope, the woofer in the bottom right behind the driver's seat is the one that popped. And you got a PM coming your way Don. If there is anybody out there that I'd love to get enclosure advice from, it's you. I had a friend who ran some Inhuman 18s back in the day and they were pretty badass subs.

Recones aren't hard to do, and the n2's use the exact same soft parts as the previous BTL's.

Good luck!

Recones aren't hard to do, and the n2's use the exact same soft parts as the previous BTL's.

Good luck!

It's been so long since I've reconed a sub lol. I'm just weary about how the tinsel leads are is all. Is there any type of walkthrough on reconing a btl anywhere?

med_gallery_40_461_12326.jpg

Either way it has been unloaded..others probably have too.

Red arrows indicate pops in the spiders that only come from unloading severely (especially in the far outside one)

Damn, alright Nick. I'm gonna pull all subs this saturday and check them over and work on my enclosure as well. Guess I will cut back on playing below 28hz lol. Should the divider between the subs be of a certain length to help avoid this? Say to the edge or past the end of the motor? Or can I pm you with pics of the enclosure and everything to get some help on this? I'm all self taught and by no means an enclosure expert lol. But would like to get the most out of my system and avoid making mitakes like this in the future.

No divider or anything..you need to turn your subsonic filter up...if you do not have one.

Odds are it is not the box itself now, but the lack of a filter..or one that is improper.