slu

Best sub choice

I've been researching subs for months and here I'm hoping to reach people that actually have hands on experience with the following woofers as I do not. I'm wanting to add good clean bass with authority to my current system. I'm not a bass head since I mostly listen to rock and metal but occasionally I do like to bump and want some chest thump on tap whenever I feel the need. I have an '02 Dodge Ram QC which limits my space. I have access to use either a 1.55 cu ft. per chamber sealed or ported sub box for this application.

Amp I plan to choose:

AQ 1200.1

Current system:

Pioneer deh-p710bt

Soundstream TWS.3

Polk MM 691

Polk db 521

Polk pa-660

Subs I'm choosing from (all are 12's):

SSA Dcon

AQ SDC2.5

ED E3.12

DD 1500/2500

IA Lethal Injection

DC lvl 3

Sundown SA-12

Alpine SWR-1243D

My stereo at this point sounds very clean but lacks bass. I want to keep the SQ I've got and when adding subs I prefer a close balance between SQ & SPL, sounding loud but good while doing it. I'm willing to alter the AQ amp if required. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Well, i;ve have experience with AQ sd2.5, SA-12, and DC lvl3.

In my opinion, i'd say go with the SA-12.

The AQs are nice and all but the SA-12 and DC lvl3 sound better, more soothing to the ear.

It would be a toss=up either sundown or dc but somethin bout the sa-12 that just sounds so good.

Yes I've read nothing but good about those Sundown Sa's. Would the AQ 1200.1 amp be enough and also I have stock electrical right now. Anything I will have to change there? Thanks!

uh.. maybe, but probably no on the electrical upgrade

That amp is perfect for that sub. Just make sure you get dual 2 and be good to go.

equipment draw can\will vary from one car to another based on many things.

I try and stress this as there is no 100% of knowing exactly what one needs for their electrical system upgrade-wise but this is a basic upgrade and if anything crazy were going to happen, the most you would ever need is a small battery in the rear, but i doubt it will come to that.

Ok so two Sundown SA-12's (dual 2 ohm) with the AQ 1200.1 added to my current system should sound pretty damn good, plenty clean and loud?, while the 1.55 cu ft. per chamber sub box will be ok? And as far as my electrical, see how it goes after the install then decide if I have to add anything like a Big 3, etc? Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

whoa, i misunderstood..

i thought u was only running 1 sub?

I would recommend the AQ1200 for 1 sa-12 in about ~1.5-1.8cuft.

If u are set on 2 subs, then u would want dual 4s.

Yeah I'm going with 2 12's. So everything is cool, just go with dual 4's on the SA's?

BTW I hope the magnet width on the SA isn't any larger than 6.5 inches bc if it is, I will have to change subs being 6.5 for motor width is the largest I can go with a little over "7 for mounting depth.

And also, this box is tuned to 34 HZ in either the ported or sealed I go with.

Thinking about it, I don't necessarily have to have 2 12's if only one SA-12 on the AQ 1200.1 will do the trick. I just figured 2 12's sound much better than one.

Anybody else have any input on this?

(Crickets) lol

Just go with what Shizzon advised, you will be pleased.

also, list your max dimension that you are willing to sacrifice. Don't forget you will need room to mount your amp as well.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics up on here.

Because I still want my rear seats I'm going to go with the box that Joe Fox makes for the Ram @ FoxAcoustics. I've researched boxes for my truck for underseat applications and cannot find anything that compares to the box Joe makes. Like I mentioned before, the box is 1.55 cu ft. per chamber vented and tuned 34 hz with a mounting depth of "7.75 and will accomidate magnet width up to "6.5. I do believe the SA's will be awesome in the truck that will provide me with more than enough clean hard hitting bass and I can't wait to get them in!!

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I greatly appreciate it and will post pics and review of the overall sound once I get everything in. Peace!!

Get the 2 subs on that amp, it will be perfect. But don't forget room for the amp in the back !

1.55 per isn't much space, the recommended for SA12s is 1.75 after displacements and such. Smaller of course if you're wanting an spl box or want to run over rms power and it seems like you don't want to do either of those. Is the subwoofer displacement factored in to that 1.55? These subs displace approximately .15 cubic feet each, which would put it down to about 1.4 cubes each. Now 1.4 would be great for a sealed enclosure and would probably sound a bit better with your musical preference. If you are wanting to go with a ported setup, I would suggest stepping down to dual 10"s or a single 12" (you could also use less power and you would have room for an optimal enclosure if you chose to run a single 12")

Btw, the SA12 has a mounting depth of 6.5", I'm not sure on the diameter of the magnets and I don't really want to dig one of my SA subs out to check right now.

I've read the width on their motors is 6.5. I've been thinking about what your mentioning to me now about the dimensions of this box and how the air space will be even lower once I drop the subs in. The box comes ported, however, it also comes with caps to seal off the ports then making it a 1.55 cu ft. per chamber sealed. These box's are supposed to be the best for underseat applications in the Ram QC offering the most airspace with box durability. Under DC Audio I've been reading that their lvl3's are recommended at 1.5 cu ft. ported, so having said that I may have to go with the lvl 3's but I'm not definite on that just yet. Those Sundowns I hear are awesome as I've heard the lvl 3's are too with a slight upperhand to the Sundowns for SQ. Honestly with all the limits my truck has with limited underseat applications, It really complicates putting together an optimal system for all the powerhouse subs I mentioned when I started this thread. Joe Fox@foxacoustics.com actually recommends Alpine Type R's or JL W6's for this box but I refuse to go with JL, (not saying they don't have a nice sub but for the money there's far better for less). I don't know much about the newly designed Type R but I hear both good and not so good about it. Seems to be a descent SPL sub but lacks SQ. None the less I'm trying to stay away from all the mainstream type subs and go with better crafted ""SQL"" monsters. But like I said, I don't have it all figured out yet due to the limitations of this box.

I appreciate your info. and advise!

I thought about having a professional make me a fiberglass box to improve the airspace but as I understand it, 1.55 cu ft. per chamber is the absolute limit for the Ram QC for underseat applications. Going higher would call for me to eliminate my rear seat/seats and I don't want to do that. All the forums I've read regarding audio systems people have put together for their Ram QC do not mention a single install using any of the above subs I mentioned. They're all using either Alpine Type R's or the Polk MM1040's, (which I hear sound pretty damn good for a shallow mount). I'm simply trying to be different and to say the least, better.

Just do (1) 12" dvc 2 ohm coil sub , get a beefy 12" that can handle that amp alone and put it in a medium ported box, youll be very pleased

Can you somehow raise the hieght of your backseet to give you more room for the subs. I've heard of it being gone but never actually seen it.

I've read the width on their motors is 6.5. I've been thinking about what your mentioning to me now about the dimensions of this box and how the air space will be even lower once I drop the subs in. The box comes ported, however, it also comes with caps to seal off the ports then making it a 1.55 cu ft. per chamber sealed. These box's are supposed to be the best for underseat applications in the Ram QC offering the most airspace with box durability. Under DC Audio I've been reading that their lvl3's are recommended at 1.5 cu ft. ported, so having said that I may have to go with the lvl 3's but I'm not definite on that just yet. Those Sundowns I hear are awesome as I've heard the lvl 3's are too with a slight upperhand to the Sundowns for SQ. Honestly with all the limits my truck has with limited underseat applications, It really complicates putting together an optimal system for all the powerhouse subs I mentioned when I started this thread. Joe Fox@foxacoustics.com actually recommends Alpine Type R's or JL W6's for this box but I refuse to go with JL, (not saying they don't have a nice sub but for the money there's far better for less). I don't know much about the newly designed Type R but I hear both good and not so good about it. Seems to be a descent SPL sub but lacks SQ. None the less I'm trying to stay away from all the mainstream type subs and go with better crafted """SQL""" monsters. But like I said, I don't have it all figured out yet due to the limitations of this box.

I appreciate your info. and advise!

So you're buying a pre made box? Did you say what it is tuned to I don't remember seeing. My advise is to measure your workable dimensions and see what you can fit. You could possibly have a box built by Audibel Customs or Argent Audio to fit under your seat and maybe go with aero ports to save space? I would personally go with them over a generic premade box. Everyone on here who has dealt with them has great things to say. Either way I would get those dimensions and go from there.

Edited by theluker69

Thanks guys for responding. The box that I am getting is hand made by Joe Fox@foxacoustics.com. From everywhere I've searched on the internet he makes the absolute best box for the Ram QC. The specs for the box are 1.55 cu per chamber with a mounting depth a little over "7 and accomidates a magnet width up to "6.5. The box actually comes ported tuned at 34hz yet comes with port plugs if you wanna go sealed.

After carefully thinking about this system build I realized I really don't have the space for elite exspensive powerhouse subs so I've decided to lean on SQ more than SPL and went with one of the best set of SQ subs out there for the money, and I chose a pair of 4ohm dvc SSA Dcons which I will run sealed. Between the Dcons and the polks I already have for my front stage I feel very confidant that the SQ will be nothing short of amazing not to mention plenty loud for my taste. Probably will run them on an AQ 750.1 or maybe even a Soundstream Rubi 1000.1 (leaving myself a little headroom with lower gain). I haven't read too much on people overpowering these subs but if memory serves, a few who own them claim 4 to 500rms truly brings these suckers out! After talking to Aaron at SSA he clearly states to concentrate more on having a quality box for these rather trying to push them to their thermal limit, says 400rms a piece is plenty to get these bad boys moving great!

I haven't got 'em in yet but they are ordered. I honestly cannot wait to get it all in and see how it's all going to come together and sound. As I thought I'd have to wait to bump these new Dcons till they were broken in, Aaron at SSA also let me know just to play them normally right out of the box and that they'd break in on their own over time.

Thank you all for your advise and replies! I will post pics and my review once I'm able to install everything. Wish me luck!

Congrats man I am sure you won't be disappointed by any SSA product. As far as amps go this [SAZ-1000D or this would be great options. I would seriously consider building your own box to save some money though.

Edited by theluker69