Sign in to follow this  
the mange

1/0 or #1 gauge for 1200w?

I was checking out weldingsupply.com, and I'm stuck between #1 and 1/0. Their "suggested ampacity" chart recommends #3 for up to 150 amps, #2 for 200a, #1 for 250-300a, and 1/0 for 350a. But going off these numbers, it looks like at most I'd only need #2, as my amp has 5x 30amp fuses (leaving 50 amps of headroom).

On the other hand, this site makes it look like I'd need 1/0 for sure.

Sundown said use 1/0 for sure, just wondering if anyone else could weigh in on this, since I can't find a reliable table for ampacity and wire size.

I would recommend the 1/0! Don't forget to do the BIG3!!

for sure doing the big 3 since I have the stock alt (~120amps?). Do you think 30ft would be enough for power/ground/big 3 in a 4dr sedan (vw passat)?

for sure doing the big 3 since I have the stock alt (~120amps?). Do you think 30ft would be enough for power/ground/big 3 in a 4dr sedan (vw passat)?

I allways like to have a little extra, but 30' should do it depending on how far away from the bat your alt. is.

4 guage would work for 1200

#1 would probably be plenty, I would just use 1/0 throughout though. Unless you have a nice crimper, I would suggest the Lenco Swedge-On tool as well, I bought one and it works great and has held up just fine so far. I also bought their Barracutter too for the hell of it, it also works great.

#1 would probably be plenty, I would just use 1/0 throughout though. Unless you have a nice crimper, I would suggest the Lenco Swedge-On tool as well, I bought one and it works great and has held up just fine so far. I also bought their Barracutter too for the hell of it, it also works great.

do you have it permanently mounted to a bench or something? I got one and I hate it... Granted it wasn't that exact model and it was from Amazon but looks similar...

This is what I got ... Besides the die being knida small, it works great:

image_1701.jpg

Buy the biggest you can afford. Can't go wrong having overkill on your electrical.

If you don't have a crimper you could always solder as well.

Might as well snag the 0g. 4g will work just fine for 1200w but you're going to save money in the long run when and if you do upgrade. I personally just use a table vice to crimp the terminals but if you want then snag one of the crimping tools above. if you crimp it properly soldering shouldn't be necessary

I use it in too many different places to mount it. I haven't had any problems at all, it doesn't bounce around on me a bit. Do you hold onto it or just set it down and smack it? I hold the wire/terminal, maybe that's why it's more stable for me. :ughdunno:

I use it in too many different places to mount it. I haven't had any problems at all, it doesn't bounce around on me a bit. Do you hold onto it or just set it down and smack it? I hold the wire/terminal, maybe that's why it's more stable for me. :ughdunno:

A dead-blow hammer makes it work like butter!!! Well that's my experience.