superman814

going from 601 watts to 844 watts per sub

if your current set up was giving you around 600 watts per sub into a sub with 1000 watts rms handling, but for $550 you could upgrade to a different amp that would put around 844 watts into that same sub would you spend the extra cash to do it? i mean can one even tell the difference by listening to a sub with either power going to them? not sure if it matters but the system consist of 3 18's..im looking for opinions to see if its worth me spending the $550 and only adding about 200 watts per sub if even that..

gotta double power to hear a difference...or so they say

ur gonna have to tell us what 18s and what amp u are using now and what one u are looking at

No he doesn't. Unless you really want the new amp, do not bother. You will never hear that increase.

Not enough watts to hear a change !

But if you're going from a Pyle amp to a Rockford amp (for example), it may be another story !

10*log(844/600) = 1.49db

You'd be looking at a maximum difference of 1.49db, which if audible would be just barely noticeable. Think of it as about one click higher on the volume knob of the average headunit. And that is the maximum difference in an ideal situation; that doesn't take into account real world effects such as power compression which are going to lower the actual increase in output. Realistically you will be looking at an increase somewhere less than 1.49db, how much less depends on how much power compression your drivers are experiencing.

Definitely not worth $550 if this is for a daily listening scenario. If this is for an SPL competition type of scenario, then yes the difference may be important but you would have to weigh the cost against the benefit and the other options.

I went from a Sundown saz 1500 to an saz 3000 this week end. I can hear the difference, my car feels the more pressure, but I can't say it's a revolution !!!

First I thought : it was even less powerful !!! But now, I know/feel there is much more pressure inside the car.

So double power ok, but your little upgrade : I say it's not worth spending that extra money !

Listen to Tirefryr and Impious !!!

the set up is 3 fi q series 18's on a hifonics brz 2400.1, the new ces-2006 compliant amps http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23550_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ2400.1D.html

what i was going to replace it with is this

http://www.crescendoaudio.com/product.php?productid=17515&cat=249&bestseller=Y

the 3KWP Monoblock Amplifier, which will really only give me around 200 watts more per sub

by the way this is not a competition truck, just a daily driver for my own listening pleasure

No he doesn't. Unless you really want the new amp, do not bother. You will never hear that increase.

I wasn't implying i would go with it.. i was curious if what he was running was too little power or just running junk vs getting something different.

Superman-

What is your box specs for your 3 18s?

You could probably get by with upgrading to more power if you like, maybe, but besides being louder, i have NEVER liked any Hifonics amp.

I personally think the BC2000 would be better than the hi2400, maybe not in terms of loudness, but it wouldnt surprise me if the CA was still louder.

http://www.soundsolu...__1#entry771517

These are the new crescendo amps. BC3500D (+3500wrms)$579.99 shipped

Even upgrading to a 3500w amp is a waste of money.

He'd be looking at a maximum increase of 1.6db, before power compression.

Not worth it for daily listening. Not worth the expense. Not worth the increased strain on the electrical system. He'd see little to no audible benefit.

Just keep your current amp. As long as it's functioning properly, there is no reason to change it.

Superman-

You could probably get by with upgrading to more power if you like, maybe, but besides being louder, i have NEVER liked any Hifonics amp.

I personally think the BC2000 would be better than the hi2400, maybe not in terms of loudness, but it wouldnt surprise me if the CA was still louder.

Louder on a mic? Maybe, if the Hifonics was significantly overrated or the Crescendo was significantly underrated.

Louder to the ear? Not a chance as long as they were both properly set.

Enclosure doesn't matter at all in this regard.

People need to get out of this silly pissing contest of who has the bigger amplifier. So many inexperienced people are blindly buying super cheap off the shelf amps because it has a big number on the heat sink, all the while ignoring much more important parts of the install. A few topics at lesser forums and you will see this problem is growing rapidly.

Superman-

Louder on a mic? Maybe, if the Hifonics was significantly overrated or the Crescendo was significantly underrated.

Louder to the ear? Not a chance as long as they were both properly set.

Enclosure doesn't matter at all in this regard.

I'm not looking at getting louder, but at the same time i am, but not on purpose, let me explain...

I've messed with a i think it was a bxi 2005d. It's a 2000w hifonics amp..

this thing was complete garbage...

The only way to get this amp to do anything decent for an amp claiming power is to crank the gain and some eq on it to max...

obviously that's not wise but everybody there at the time fooling around with it trying to figure out why it was not powering the setup all too well...

So, the eq boost was turned on which is actually a bass boost and that is what did it..

That is completely retarded to have to use bass boost just to get any sort of decent power out of it.

And when i mean it wasn't putting out a lot, seriously.. it compared to about a 4-500w amp prior to increasing bass boost...

It didn't make any sense as to why but it did...

So... if the OP's amp is similar to this situation.. then by all means change amps because all this bxi2005 did was make the worst flat output power possible...

If he thinks i'm siding with him to get louder.. that's not my intentions BUT... based on my experience with one story, it wouldnt surprise me if almost any amp is louder in that power class.

First it was the size of the sub, then the size of the amp, then the Xmax wars, now the power wars. People are stupid. I honestly don't know how you do it Aaron. When I was with SI, the stupid customer base was just incredible, and then you add in all the soap opera bullshit of the industry and deal with the "professionals" and it just magnifies the pressure.

We should start a dustcap war..

dont really know how it will work but i heard bubble dustcaps gets the sub closer to the mic which increases potential spl and xmax since it's already protruding...

Plus bubble caps give the internals more room to breathe before things might melt down in the lanes!

but don't go too big on the cap or you'll lose SD greatly!

lol.. let the new wars begin...