djjdnap

Degrees, Jobs, Employment

Well im a current Ecet (electrical computer engineering technology) senior with a minor in business and computer information technology.

purdue of indianapolis degree..

now my older brother of 4 yrs has a bs in mechanical engr and he's been having a hell of a time finding a job.

I myself have yet to get any interns or coops, so when i graduate theres no exp behind me. And trust me ive been applying like mad.

my brother told me if he was me he would go ahead and get his MBA while he was still in school, since it would take 2yrs per se off of exp required,

your thoughts, experiences, ect

I start at ITI in Baton Rouge in September for Instrumentation and they show proof of 99% of graduates getting jobs immediately after graduation..

Seems to me like where you live may not have jobs in that field... not everywhere though.

Would moving be too drastic for you/your brother? What all jobs are associated with the degree?

I start at ITI in Baton Rouge in September for Instrumentation and they show proof of 99% of graduates getting jobs immediately after graduation..

Seems to me like where you live may not have jobs in that field... not everywhere though.

Would moving be too drastic for you/your brother? What all jobs are associated with the degree?

my fam is from baton rouge actually , but nah id move if need be.

I know xavier has a 5yr pharmacy program that this girl i know went through, shes makin alot of money doin nothin but passing meds at cvs lol..

but its alot of big companies in indiana.

Allison, Cummins, Mays chem, Sylvania, Rolls royce, boeing, raytheon...just off the top of my head.

Baton Rouge has a lot of big plants... They always need specialized workers.

Pharmacists piss me off! HA!

Allison, Cummins, Mays chem, Sylvania, Rolls royce, boeing, raytheon...just off the top of my head.

And none of them are in a hiring boom, all being walloped by our economy and government. Engineering jobs are in excess in many cities right now.

Not sure what you'd plan on doing with an MBA and Eng degree. You'll end up in sales probably...

It is VERY tough to get your foot in the door these days ...

I have a Associates in Basic Electronics and Broadband Technology ...

I got kinda lucky with the Cable company ... but most people have to travel to make money ...

Engineering jobs are in excess in many cities right now.

Business/Managerial jobs too. Ditch diggers are in high demand, however.

There's always room in the process technology field for operators.

If you like working outdoors ... I would HIGHLY suggest trying for the Electrical Power companys ...

Good pay / great benefits ... but alot of long hours ...

(Contractors make the Big Bucks !!! But travel ALL the time) ...

If I had it to do over again, this is what I would do ...

Just my suggestion guys ...

Engineering jobs are in excess in many cities right now.

Business/Managerial jobs too. Ditch diggers are in high demand, however.

You read that backwards, I see companies hiring engineers everyday.

We have 2 engineers for every worker and hire more weekly.

i forgot Iindana Power and Lighting and Duke energy, which supplies to the smaller companies in the midwest such as IPL.

I had an interview with Duke, but they never called back.

My gf's uncle works for the water company. not really much in engineering, but its good money there.

I'd rather be work for a military contractor company its just more interesting.

Raytheon is ok, but Crane makes alot of cool stuff.

But yea its alot of companies here

I hope it is the economy if i graduate and cant find a job i'll just sell drugs or something.

And by drugs i mean sex..lmao

LOL ... Broadband communications (cable / telephone / internet) is a VERY good career field ...

But to make the big bucks in in contracting / construction ... downfall is alot of travel ... especially if you can install / splice / activate / maintain fiberoptic cable ...

after my kids are gone off to college ... I might be hitting the road myself ...

Is Purdue of Indianapolis a branch of off Purdue of Lafayette, or are you meaning IUPUI? Just curious. This caught my attention because I hope to get admitted into Purdue, to become a mechanical engineer. My brother went to U of I and then to IUPUI for a degree VERY similiar to yours, if not the same. He however, was a lazy azzz and decided to drop out and take online classes while working.

hey man more schooling is never bad! I vote for you to stay in school IF you can afford it/ do it!

hey man more schooling is never bad! I vote for you to stay in school IF you can afford it/ do it!

x2

I'm thinking about relocating to Cali..scared about not being able to find work though

x2

I'm thinking about relocating to Cali..scared about not being able to find work though

Last place I'd go.

x2

Last place I'd go.

I was in LA a month ago and loved it :peepwall: Arizona is another option, too.

I just want out of New York

Is Purdue of Indianapolis a branch of off Purdue of Lafayette, or are you meaning IUPUI? Just curious. This caught my attention because I hope to get admitted into Purdue, to become a mechanical engineer. My brother went to U of I and then to IUPUI for a degree VERY similiar to yours, if not the same. He however, was a lazy azzz and decided to drop out and take online classes while working.

yea its IUPUI but the degree is a Purdue engr degree, there's another Purdue close to Gary in calumet as well.

IUPUI is cheaper than IU and PU but if u want the "college exp" get away from home lol, otherwise u'll be in class with old guys that already have engr jobs that are going to iupui to go back and get their degree.

lol its just funny because alot of ppl cant find jobs that have graduated and they have those loans to pay back, so now they have to figure out how to pay back loans with no job.

Sad if u ask me.

x2

Last place I'd go.

I was in LA a month ago and loved it :peepwall: Arizona is another option, too.

I just want out of New York

seems like no one likes the state that they are in lol.

ppl here want to move to chicago and atlanta. Im content though lol

3 ppl i know packed up and just moved to LA though, they are in the same predicament though they were when they lived here though, just less friends lol.

Less friends, shitty people around them, crap job market, disgusting traffic, complete lack of culture. Pretty much the armpit of America. Atlanta isn't really any better. Chicago I understand completely, one of the truly great American cities.

I'm in Augusta, GA and work as a military contractor and I love it. If any of you live near a base I would highly suggest trying to get on with the companies that support that base.