ALL4SPL

Reclaimed box build

Well I got another itch to build another box, so since I was near out of wood and low on funds I was looking around my garage and spy'd a box I had a long while back sitting in the corner. A standard CRX box but with a top plate for 4 10s, so it's 29"x29"x14". So I decided to see what I could do with it, took out the SPAX screws from the top plate, pounded from under it with a hammer and it came off pretty clean. Then fab'd up a box to see if there was some workable area, came up with this. 29x14x16, with a net volume including port of 2.28cuft, there will be 1 45 in the port corner and then .14cuft taken out for the sub itself, should land around 2cuft. Port is 2.25" wide by 12.5 giving about 28 SqIn of port, total length including the 3 port walls shared is 35.875", should put tuning around 28Hz. Now I am by no means expert at this, but since it's a reclaimed box and I am using minimal new wood I don't mind if it fails. I will post some pics in a bit of the process, there won't be any of the box whole as I got most of that taken apart last night.

If anyone see's a big problem/issue with what I have listed here math wise, by all means say something. Again I am no expert but just more of experimenting with boxes to get the sound I want out of my SA12, which btw is powered by a JBL 1200.1 II so it sees around 1100-1300watts at 2ohm mono.

Alright I have a bit of wood filler drying so I went ahead and downloaded the first 5 pics.

Here is the original top plate, ORION sub is OLD! LOL Original XTR Pro 12"

top.jpg

Here is the box just after cutting it down from 29x29x14.

part1.jpg

Here is the box with the 45 cut and the two port pieces, I was going to "try" kerfing this but just not feeling it.

part2.jpg

Here is the back portion of the port with wood filler in the old holes.

part3.jpg

And here is the 45 in place.

port.jpg

Here is the original idea for Kerfing this box, seemed like a nice box just too complicated for me to do all the math at this point :P

kerfproject2.jpg

More pics later as I finish this up today.

Edited by All4Spl

Last update for today, ran out of scrap MDF, gonna hunt some scrap at Home Depot later even was able to reuse the spax screws.

part7-1.jpg

part7.jpg

why tape off the top part? i don't think there is need for it.

but nice box, none the less.

Taped it off so when I paint I don't have to go back and sand those surfaces so the glue sticks nicely. And thanks, gonna probably finish it up tomorrow and give it a whirl in the car see how it sounds.

Why not sub up port back? This going in the car in your DP?

There's not enough room behind to do sub up port back the port would basically be 3 inches or less from the back of the hatch and not have enough room.

Ahh, lame. Looks good though. Plan to wrap it or cover it in anything?

Yeah I actually overlooked the piece of wood I need, I found it when I went back into my garage later in the day. So I will finish it up tomorrow, if it sounds good I will be carpeting it probably black carpet.

Very Nice. Very nice indeed. If you do 45's then go over with fiberglass you can have a nice smooth, rounded finish on those parts. Honestly though it looks good with the sanding on the port edges.

Well after an error in measurement I had to go pick up mdf, so got that and a better router bit for cutting the hole out. Got that cut out, filled any gaps and DA sanded the entire box down so it's nice and even all around. Only thing left is to carpet it as testing yielded lower bass like I wanted and a bit more air movement. So here are the last pictures.

part8.jpg

part9.jpg

part10.jpg

part11.jpg

So I like it a lot and think no matter that I am losing a little more hatch space I am gonna carpet this box tomorrow or sometime this weekend and finalize it. And yes the sub is upside down, that will be corrected when the box gets carpet :P

Nice fit, what did you do for terminals?

Been using bolts, just easier to disconnect in case I have to swap something or take the box out of the car. They are on the far right side as you look at the picture of my hatch.

I must be blind, can't see them. But I also like bolts, much nicer than terminal cups. I'll be watching for carpet! :popcorn:

Looks good! How does it sound?

A lot better than the smaller box I had before course I did increase the port area as well as the tuning is lower. First box tuned 35Hz this one is 29Hz, first box had 23sqin of port area, this box has 28sqin of port area. Overall the output seems better, the lower bass louder and the air movement is greater.

Also just to add, the first box was right at 1.8cuft after sub displacement and this box is right at 2.1cuft after sub displacement.

Edited by All4Spl

Ok, I couldn't stand looking at it uncarpeted, so I went ahead and did it LOL. Here are the final pictures.

part12.jpg

part13.jpg

Edited by All4Spl

that was fast bro... what amps are those??? JBL and RF... what models???

oooh, look prime with the carpet on! About perfect with factory carpet back there. :drink40:

It's a JBL GTO1200.1 II and a RF T400-2 and thanks I find new ways to cut time every time I build a box, took me about 40 mins to carpet it start to finish.

Here is a video I just did today, mainly tried to show how the roof is moving, sub movement is pretty much boring to watch not that this is the entertaining either LOL. Anyway, here is the video.

And here is one with sub movement.

Here is a vid of the first box using my bassrace song, just shows sub movement, the cracking sounds are the mic on the camera being too close to the port as I recorded.

Edited by All4Spl

Very nice man. That SA-12 is definitely doing work.