madmike0121

fi btl n3 surround ripping

ok i have two fi btl n3 12inch subs fully loaded dual ones on a aq20 amp i have had the subs for a couple of months now and the surround is starting to tear almost all the way around...

i was thinking about buying recones for them but i was wondering if fi sells a heavy duty version surround for my needs.

so my question is there a heavy duty surround option for the n3,,, ??

I doubt it...

I can't imagine tearing the surrounds on those, you almost have to be driving them beyond their mechanical limits. Your enclosure may be too large or you're SSF isn't properly set and you're driving them well below the tuning of the enclosure, or both. What is the enclosure supposed to be tuned to? How did you set your SSF?

pics of the rip?

Did you cut the screw holes in the surround ?

Pics would help to diagnose this.

I doubt it...

I can't imagine tearing the surrounds on those, you almost have to be driving them beyond their mechanical limits. Your enclosure may be too large or you're SSF isn't properly set and you're driving them well below the tuning of the enclosure, or both. What is the enclosure supposed to be tuned to? How did you set your SSF?

the box is about 6.2 cubic feet for the both had it meter and subs peak at 37 hertz and 41 hertz the box intention was 39 hertz but thats where the meter said it peaked at.

i dont know what ssf is enless you spell it out not good with abreviations ... i have the subs where i want them at they sound good and dont really distort ... enless i turn it up too loud and they start to pop,, my guess to much power

If the pop, they move too much and are bottoming out the coil.

You need to drop down the power or use a smaller box.

SSF stands for sub sonic filter.

so my question is there a heavy duty surround option for the n3,,, ??

I don't know how much more "heavy duty" it gets than the N3... :puzzled:

the box is about 6.2 cubic feet for the both had it meter and subs peak at 37 hertz and 41 hertz the box intention was 39 hertz but thats where the meter said it peaked at.

i dont know what ssf is enless you spell it out not good with abreviations ... i have the subs where i want them at they sound good and dont really distort ... enless i turn it up too loud and they start to pop,, my guess to much power

That box is quite large, a little much for those subs. If you're tuned to 39hz and playing anything that has frequencies below that with a box that large and with very much power you're heading straight for disaster no matter what sub you're using.

If the pop, they move too much and are bottoming out the coil.

You need to drop down the power or use a smaller box.

SSF stands for sub sonic filter.

He's right. If they're moving so far as to start to pop you're just WAY overdoing it. Gotta change something and the sub sonic filter is used to prevent the subs from playing frequencies below tuning. Nick @ Fi has a quick, simple tutorial on setting the SSF somewhere on here, I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: Anyone know where the hell that's at?? Nick had a post on here somewhere where he explained how to play tones and watch the sub's movement to find the boxes true tuning, then adjust the SSF accordingly using the same method. That would likely do him some good once he gets these repaired. I've searched like hell and can't find it.

Edited by Alton

Put a tone cd in..play on tuning, click down 2 tracks, go to half volume or so..roll the filter on the amp up until the sub stops freaking out.

The only way you are going to snap a surround is by not having a subsonic filter set properly, or you are playing far below tuning..

It's like driving a new car without brakes into a wall..speaker is stupid, does what you tell it to do..just like the car with no brakes.

http://imageshack.us

I doubt it...

[/quo

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7038/file18849f.mp4

Edited by madmike0121

ok here is a video of the tearing of the fi btl n3

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7038/file18849f.mp4 (click on link video will play)

oh'' the subsonic filter was about 35-40 hard to see what actuall adjustment on a aq 20 amplifier is im guessisng between there when i looked today..

Edited by madmike0121

Regardless...it is moving too much.

That surround runs out of gas at 35mm, you run out of space from the spider to the top plate at 33mm...

Something way far wrong. Most likely the screen print on the end of the amplifier case that has absolutely no relevance to the potentiometer that is the subsonic filter. If you spec 2% parts on something you very well may get 20% parts..which isn't a big deal...right?

Here's why it is a big deal and why overseas manufacturing sucks due to them using "equivilant parts" and you not knowing what the heck they are doing.

Difference in 20% and 2% variance parts? Few years back the JL 1000/1 even admitted in their manual that the 25Hz end on the subsonic filter was actually 16Hz and the 45Hz end on it was 60Hz.

So if you get somebody's cousin that has a billion 20% variance parts and he cuts you a deal to buy all of them for 1/4 of what the 2% variance part guess what you get? The 20% ones! Because..they save money that way.

However, your 40Hz "setting" on that filter could be 20Hz..because you have no idea how off it is..the only way to check it is by putting it on a scope, or by doing it how I told you to do it.

The only other thing that could potentially be wrong is your box tuning is way off because you didn't subtract the displacements.

oops/