Aaron Clinton

The Final Space Shuttle Flight

Today was the launch of the final space shuttle mission. The NASA program is being shutdown early, but other programs are starting soon or are in the works. For my parents generation, it was the height of the space program. The Saturn V rocket was a massive towering symbol of the sheer power and might of the U.S.A. Going to the moon was something that brought the whole country together, and the incredible amount of advancements and development of modern conveniences that we take for granted today, stem from the incredible accomplishments and efforts of the USA space program. As a kid, and to this day, I have always wanted to be an Astronaut, and the US space shuttle was the symbol of that dream. Visiting the Assembly Building is one of my all time favorites. For our parents, the Kennedy assassination was an unforgettable moment in time as to where they were and what they were doing, the Challenger in 1986 was that way for me. So I hope everyone can take a moment to appreciate the massive knowledge we have learned about ourselves from space travel. Here is an image from last night of the Atlantis sitting silent on the launch pad before this mornings launch:

567228main_image_1995_946-710.jpg

So long space shuttle, is the space elevator or lunar colony next? Who knows, but it is exciting to think about.....

567181main_image_1994_946-710.jpg

I heard about this on the news this morning. It's somewhat depressing, but as you mentioned who knows what the future holds.

I've been to the NASA Hq in Houston on a school field trip. It's AMAZING. I wish I had a digicam then. All the pics I took are developed....maybe I'll take pics if anyone is interested. (Pics OF Pics that is lol)

I quoted you in an email mang. Maybe it will go viral.

:D

Thanks for reminding us all of this, it rings true with and deep for me too.

Kinda' irritates me when they say "final space shuttle flight". Makes it sound like they're trying to convince people there wont be another ever. I don't get why, just to make it more memorable? Doesn't make sense to me. Then again i know very little on the subject so i'm just pulling ideas out of nowhere.

Kind of makes me think how narrow minded people can be. Like those that said there can't be life without O2 and/or H2O. Who says there is only one life type, i always wondered. Then they go and find that bacteria right in our backyard living without oxygen. :ughdunno: I just don't like it when people are finite about things we don't know about yet.

Being that I am slightly older, I can remember the broadcasts of the USA landing on the moon and the transformation of space travel. Having visited Kennedy Space Center and seeing this amazing part of our history, it gives me great respect for the brave that have accomplished things only dreamed about. A special salute to the ones who have given their lives to the Space Program!

NASA isn't going away...just the Space Shuttle program, it's too expensive. We're going back to our roots with Orion, it's supposed to look like the mighty Saturn V rockets, which are much cheaper.

Either way, it is incredibly sad :(

Turn it on now, they are in a space walk, and it is 1st person view.