MR2

My MR2 Build Begins...Finally..!

That car is so small what you need a backup camera for?? You can just pick it up and turn it around! JK Keep track of those pics, I want to see all of them!!

Hahaha...ya it's pretty small. I figured the BU Cam might good for parking...and not curbin' my rims. Ya actually I may need to return the cam I bought for a different model that will fit better. =(

but...pics will come soon than later...might not even be today unfortunately because I want to get all the wiring done for the cam even if I don't install it. I'm doin' the Jap Taillight conversion and the newer inner panel would house the camera better. I'm just not ready to do the conversion on the tails yet....but again I'd like to have all the wiring done now so it's ready to go...

MR2

I think that is BS, you been riding around listening to your new system while we have been sitting here all evening waiting for all those pics you promised!! :lol2:

I did go for a drive to pick up a backup camera. The dash is still apart. Today I hope to get the camera installed(unfortunately there isn't any good place to mount it...and I got to trace a wire to the trunk area past the engine compartment).

Anyway hopefully that doesn't take too long. I went to the local car stereo store...they wanted $100 to install...um ya...I think I'll do it myself...!

MR2

More rewarding as well :Tom:

True...and I know exactly what was done...!

MR2

So this is my distraction from taking the HQ pics. I decided to tear apart the rear end and start working on installing the Kouki Tail Lights conversion and heck...we are adding a rear view camera to the system at the same time...here's some pics...

CIMG0242.jpg

CIMG0239.jpg

CIMG0240.jpg

CIMG0241.jpg

CIMG0243.jpg

CIMG0245.jpg

CIMG0244.jpg

CIMG0246.jpg

CIMG0248.jpg

MR2

The other rear view camera I got just didn't fit the MR2 at all...so we decided to go a different route and mount it into the center of the tail lights in an open space of the panel. This is a different one I picked up off Ebay. This tail light conversion is a popular upgrade...but I've never seen anyone add a rear view camera in the back like this..! Anyway I spent a few hours in traffic to return and pick up this new one today. I'm exhausted...at least the stereo is installed and I got to rock some tunes. Dash is still apart waiting to hook up the last of the wiring including the camera and reverse gear wire...etc...

It's shaping up pretty well. This weekend should be nice weather. When we get the tail lights hooked up and everything back together I'll definitely be giving the MR2 a wash...as in a really good one...it needs a detail too(not too mention paint in several areas...but I'll do my best to make it look descent for pics...I know some of ya'll are interested in seeing some HQ pics...they are coming...sometime this weekend is the plan...would have been sooner if I didn't start the rear end upgrades..!

Thanks for your patience..!

MR2

Keep up the good work!!! Give your Pops a :woot: for me, seems he has been dedicated to this build along with you!! Tuned in for more progress!!

Keep up the good work!!! Give your Pops a :woot: for me, seems he has been dedicated to this build along with you!! Tuned in for more progress!!

Yes Pops is a huge help and support to this any many of my projects..! I will definitely tell him you give him a :woot: he'll like that..!

Thanks for taking an interest and tuning in...it's been a lot of work so far but we've made some really good progress..!

MR2

Nice. Can we get before and after pics of the taillight conversion mod? Any chance of you putting on an air scoop?

I love those tails, one of the few times i would agree with people swapping out their tail lights. Can't wait to see how they look on your car.

I love those tails, one of the few times i would agree with people swapping out their tail lights. Can't wait to see how they look on your car.

Yes this is a classy upgrade...it's never looks dated to me...much more modern but timeless at the same time...well that's my opinion anyway...

We are working on it now...again car needs some paint including the center piece in between the tails...but still I think it will look 100% better. Dood that I bought car from painted them black...I'm just not into that blackout painted look(not too mention it's totally cracking and faded looking)...I prefer a clean look anyway..!

MR2

It's coming along nicely. Always nice to have help, good for bonding with loved ones too. :drink40:

Nice install. It's good to see another SSA member in the Portland area. I'm in Beaverton. I'm looking forward to seeing the tails installed.

It's coming along nicely. Always nice to have help, good for bonding with loved ones too. :drink40:

Yes it's really cool to spend time with my Pops...he is very talented and has always been there for me when I need help! I help him out a lot too so it's nice we can help each other out..!

Some Bad News Guys..!

After spending all day working on the car at the end of the day yesterday it wouldn't start. I was totally stressed cause I don't ever leave the car outside over night. Anyway after not being able to push it up the driveway and into the garage we finally pushed it in with another car really late at night(just getting the car back into the garage was a huge relief in itself). I've been robbed before so I'm a lot less trusting these days unfortunately..! =(

The Good News..!

After messing around with a bunch of stuff and tracing things out this morning in the manual I found a loose wire that went to fuel line. Now it starts right up no problem again..!!! OMG...what a relief..!!!

Sooo...now I can put it all back together and start cleaning her up..! Again what a relief...!!!

This is why I haven't posted any updates or photos. I was up till 4am troubleshooting everything-then back up at 9:30...I'm very happy the car starts again and it wasn't anything major..!

MR2

Nice. Can we get before and after pics of the taillight conversion mod? Any chance of you putting on an air scoop?

I definitely will show a before and after..! Maybe today...or very soon...I need to paint the center panel so right I'll wait for pics...

MR2

Nice install. It's good to see another SSA member in the Portland area. I'm in Beaverton. I'm looking forward to seeing the tails installed.

Oh right on...another northwesterner...! =)

I'll be finishing up the tails today. I may not be able to put it back together because I need to paint the center piece...but pics are coming soon..!

Thx 4 checkin' out my Build..!

MR2

Sorry no new updates or pics guys...some bad news...I worked all weekend on the build. I got it 100% done Sunday. Was washing the ride at midnight...pulled it in the garage and called it a night. Then today went to get some gas and on the way back shifted from 4th to 5th and it wouldn't...luckily my pops came to rescue me and was able to drive it home in 4th all the way catching every light barely and flying into the garage sideways. He just made it.

Anyway...spent most of the day trying to find parts. My shift cable broke. So my car is all torn apart again. Hopefully we can locate one tomorrow. Almost everything for this car has to be shipped in. =(

So now the ride is down for awhile...but at least it's in the garage..! Man everything came together sooo sweet too..! The tail light conversion and backup camera came out good too...!

So ya a bit bummed...I should have an update and I'll take some nice HQ pics sometime this week...

Thanks for your patience guys and + feedback...I have to keep reminding myself this is a 20 year old car and I bought it from a young kid who obviously let the car go...so I'm having to do a lot of TLC to get it in good shape again. At least it is really straight. I eventually need some paint on the bumpers...or I'll just wait and do a full paint job.

Ok then...hope all is well with everyone...

We'll talk with ya'll later...!

MR2

Hope you can get the part, looking forward to your pics :drink40:

Hope you can get the part, looking forward to your pics :drink40:

:thanx:...! I do too...most come from Cali...so it may take a few days to get..! I tried to locate a part locally with no luck..! =(

It was looking and soundin' really good before that point..! Ok it still looks and sounds good...it just won't go anywhere...lol..!

MR2

Oh...I didn't mention...the part is shy $200 bucks with shipping...ouch..! :rofl2:

That is why I spent quit a bit of time on the phone today trying to find one local or used...!

MR2

Should get a night pic. of the lights. Looks clean, I didn't even think that swap could be done. :+1: for you!

The tail lights are a subtle change, I like it.

I do like the rear lights being blacked out, but now the rear looks very crisp and clean! Great job!!

Should get a night pic. of the lights. Looks clean, I didn't even think that swap could be done. :+1: for you!

It was a lil' tricky...but my Pops and made it happen..!

Thx..!

MR2

The lights came out nice. I hope you can save yourself some money on that cable.

Man I sure hope so...I'm going to make a few more calls...if no luck then it's the Dealer...

MR2