Thinking bout taking that dive into the 2 wheel lane.

So far best place i've seen to get one is

racersedge411.com

its in cincinatti, bout an hour from Indy, but they sell so quick you miss all the good deals.

no idea how much insurance is gonna cost, which is my biggest concern really.. not trying to pay 1000$ for a year.

But thinking i can put it under my dads name and save and just pay him the money lol.

Also I dont want to start wt a 600, because i feel like im way to big lol, feels like im riding a scooter.

but just an open topic really thoughts, concerns, pics, ect lol

Insurance will greatly depend on the type of bike you have.

Do you have any riding experience?

What kind of bike do you like? Sportbike, dual purpose, cruiser?

My advice is to not get any sportbike over 600cc's if you haven't had any experience. The majority of people who are killed on motorcycles buy a 1000cc bike thinking they can handle the power. It takes a good bit of experience to safely control large displacement bikes.

Edited by Bobobass

You have no riding experience. Why do you think you're too big for a 600? A liter bike isn't set up for a bigger person. What 600 did you ride? I suppose you understand the risks so I wont bore you by sounding like your mother. Do you have your endorsement? I would get that first. Try to test ride some bikes. Some dealerships are super cool, most aren't, but some of them are.

How big are you? What's a bike that you think looks really cool?

Advice I've always heard and what I took was to start off on a 250cc to learn the ropes and such. I'm a big dude myself 6'5 260lbs, I took the learning course which I rode a 250 shadow, and even with 250cc's its kinda wild at first to take corners in that thing. Its a hell of a lot different leaning into a turn going 30-40mph, its awesome and scary as hell at the same time. Insurance should be dirt cheap if you buy the bike out right. I know here in Texas that if you lease a bike you have to have full coverage. I'm looking into either a ninja 650r which is supposed to be build and geared for beginners, or a Yamaha r6 which I know is kinda on the other end of the spectrum.

i actually use to have a moped when i was younger and such.

Yes im going to take the class.

My friend has a 600 ninja and i rode it.

He also has a zx14... which i think is way to big to hold up and didn't even attempt to ride.

So yea a like the gsxr1000's or cbr954

You realize how fast those bikes are.... right?

I'm sorry. I'm coming at this in all the wrong ways. What are you looking for in a motorcycle?

i do realize lol,

Just for fun really.

My frat bro has a bike club that goes out of town riding like a couple times a month, so i plan on joining up.

guy i work wt laid his bike down yesterday after a car turned in front of him smh :ohnoes9: hes been ridin for yrs and is 36.

i guess i was a bit off when i said no exp lol, i know how to ride just need better clutch control, but dont have my own bike soooo there u have it.

im 5'9 230 btw

Most manufacturer's inhouse financing is set up like a credit card so they do not hold your title therefore technically the bike is paid off so it makes your insurance cheaper

oh no im not financing lol saving up.

only bad thing is its gonna take away from my audio habits lol

At 5'9" and 230lbs you don't NEED more than a 600. Besides, the 954 you mentioned is smaller than some 600's. I'm 6'3" 300lbs. I started on a 99 kawi zx-6r. It fit me ok, and was manageable. Looking back I think I woulve learned faster on a lighter, less powerful bike. I suggest a Suzuki sv650 for a starter or maybe a kawi ninja 500. I'd buy the cheapest bike you can find that's safe, preferably with a salvaged title. Then buy good gear and take an MSF course. Remember an ugly salvage title bike won't lose much value if you crash it, maybe none at all. It'll also get you riding and learning faster.

i do realize lol,

Just for fun really.

My frat bro has a bike club that goes out of town riding like a couple times a month, so i plan on joining up.

guy i work wt laid his bike down yesterday after a car turned in front of him smh :ohnoes9: hes been ridin for yrs and is 36.

i guess i was a bit off when i said no exp lol, i know how to ride just need better clutch control, but dont have my own bike soooo there u have it.

im 5'9 230 btw

230pounds is what 100kg?

That's not a reason to go bigger then 600cc on a SS.(SS=supersport like yamaha r6)

Seriously start out with a 250cc kawasaki or if you really want to be fast buy a 600cc.

But it's not very smart to start out on a 600cc, your riding skills won't be as good as if you start out with a 250cc.

You said you test drove a 1000cc but test driving isnt the same as owning one, i have test drivin a almost 200hp BMW liter bike and i felt quite confident till you actually use the throttle more then 1/8th..

Your saying you don't have good clutch control and that is a serious problem on a liter or 600cc bike.

A liter bike is faster to 60mph but not by much because the grip and control of a wheelie is a problem.

Both can get you over 60mph in first gear. Top speed is rediculous high too..

Oh and best tip ever, buy the best protection you can afford if you think your budget is big enough double it. ;)

Seriously think about it , buy a second hand cheap 250-400cc bike and don't worry about dropping it, parts are cheaper too if you break something.

You will learn how to ride better one a small capacity engine bike then on a liter or 600cc bike.

Edited by kirill007

guess it would save on my pockets a bit to buy a dirtbike for a couple hundred first..

or find a ninja 250 :peepwall:

although the site i mentioned earlier does have some ninja 500's

Edited by djjdnap

My girl went through her MSF course last year and I found her a ninja 500 in kinda rough shape, but mechanically sound for $1000. It's a good starter bike, and it will take you longer to outgrow than a ninja 250. Besides, as long as a bike runs and is rideable it's worth $1000. So you don't lose any money with a starter bike. She spent more on gear than her bike, and that's a good thing.

A Bike I'd recommend to start on would probably be a Suzuki drz-400am. It's allot like a dirtbike. And they are fun to ride.

I am currently riding an 05' R1. This is my 14th sportbike. I ride 3-4 days a week.

I would not reccomend a liter bike to anyone as a first bike, more than likely you will get hurt.

Buy a cheap POS (you will drop it, even if it is while you are washing it) ride it for at least a few months until you are comfortable and then look at a bigger bike. Ninja 500, and Enduro or a cheap standard would be on top of my list for a beginner.

My insurance is $40 a month for full coverage from USAA, but I am married and over 30. If you aren't, it can be expensive....

Just don't play into the gay "biker club" shit. Most of them are retards and you will do more harm to your riding skills than good by trying to keep up with them. If anyone has a mohawk on thier helmet just steer clear. If they are riding a Katana with a mohawk helment, they should be shot....

I have an 02 R1 and my insurance for a 20 yr old is $211 a year. First thing I'd do is take the MSF course and learn the basics, then buy gear. I see so many idiots riding with shorts, t shirt, and gym shoes. There's two types of riders, the ones that have been down and the ones that are gonna. For a bike I wouldn't start with a 1000cc like everyone else has said there is way too much throttle response. You'll be able to reach your potential on starting with a smaller bike. No matter the size of the bike you have to respect the power.

Buy a cheap POS (you will drop it, even if it is while you are washing it) ride it for at least a few months until you are comfortable and then look at a bigger bike. Ninja 500, and Enduro or a cheap standard would be on top of my list for a beginner.

This is a good idea. As he stated, you will probably crash your first bike. You will most likely crash any bike you have for an extended time, but still, you'll crash the first bike alot more. I just crashed my first road bike :(

I encourage everyone to give motorcycling a try. It can be very rewarding and give you a feeling of freedom. You really really have to ask yourself if you're responsible enough to handle.... well... the responsibility of riding a motorcycle. It can be hard to not ride on the shoulder of the freeway when you're stuck in dead traffic and your bike is overheating. It can be hard when that guy pulls next to you in a ferarri with a hot chick and then says some snide stuck-up response and still leave the light in a normal fashion even though you KNOW you could rape him off the line (most likely). There's just a lot of things you have to ask yourself. Then give it a shot and see how you like it.

I started riding clutch motorcycles since i was 8. Got my first "dangerous" bike when i was 13. Endorsement at 16. First bike right before 17 :wub:

I hope you find the right way

everyone i know has a bike lol, im like the odd guy out.

went to NC to black bike week last yr it was crazy down there.

And the guy i work with really got me interested lol, all he talks about it bikes and i have to work wt him every other day or so lol.

My dad use to have this old honda cruiser and he would let me drive it wt him on the back i had to be like 10 at the time lol. Then he wrecked my neighbors ninja 1000 or so i dont remember, but yea the more i keep hearing people say start small and i keep thinking back to that event the more i agree with you all.

bout to spend all my money in vegas next month, so after that guess i can start saving up, less i win lol