Thekid5678

Something is wrong, Help me please

Ok, I'm stumped. I have an Fi SSD 15" sub dual 2 ohm. and a sun down sae-1200d amp. The other day I was driving around beating, when all of the sudden my beats just stopped. After a few seconds the sub started beating again, then stopped again and hasn't come back on since. I got out to look everything over, all the fuses were good (including the one under my hood). The one thing I noticed was the amp was in protection mode. I turned my car off for a bit then turned it back on. I went back and looked at the amp, and the light was green for about 45 seconds, then switched to red ( Protection mode). ok this is where is gets weird. I unhooked everything and looked it over and couldn't find anything wrong. I then hooked it back up. the amp came on just fine and never went into protection mode. but still no beats. I then took the 1200d out of the car and tried a 1000d knock off brand amp to see if it would beat then. Still nothing. So now I'm leaning towards that it is the sub that is having issues. My question is, should I send both the sub and the amp back in? I just can't figure out what is wrong.

Thanks in advance. Tyler

it's the sub.

Get a multimeter and measure ohm value on each coil...

But more importantly, take sub out of box first and look at it if you do nto have a meter.

Is the tinsel leads burnt or snapped off?

Is the spider burnt?

Press down on the cone evenly distributed from above and see if you hear any scratching or scraping.

it's the sub.

Get a multimeter and measure ohm value on each coil...

But more importantly, take sub out of box first and look at it if you do nto have a meter.

Is the tinsel leads burnt or snapped off?

Is the spider burnt?

Press down on the cone evenly distributed from above and see if you hear any scratching or scraping.

Sorry, I should have gone into more detail. I have already done everything you said. The tinsel leads look to be in great shape, the spider isn't burnt and when I press on the cone, the sub is still nice a stiff ( got it 6 months ago)

you need to measure dcr with dmm then.

u need to whip it out and probe it. Let me know how it goes.

Or.. a more simple approach-

Get a digital multimeter. Set meter to ohms.

unhook all speaker wires from sub.

probe EACH set of terminals on sub and see what readings are.

If one side either reads nothing or constantly bounces around with crazy variances.. your sub is damaged.

u need to whip it out and probe it. Let me know how it goes.

Or.. a more simple approach-

Get a digital multimeter. Set meter to ohms.

unhook all speaker wires from sub.

probe EACH set of terminals on sub and see what readings are.

If one side either reads nothing or constantly bounces around with crazy variances.. your sub is damaged.

Will fi honor their warranty? Since I did nothing to cause the damage?

That's their call...

That's their call...

I guess what I meant was, are they usually pretty good at honoring their warranty?

I haven't heard anything bad about their customer service. What do the coils read?

I haven't heard anything bad about their customer service. What do the coils read?

I haven't had a chance to test them yet ( Missing required tools ) Once I get it tested, I will let you all know what the readings were

99% of the time burnt coils are user error.

I have done nothing to abuse or misuse the setup. so please don't make comments when you don't know.

I have done nothing to abuse or misuse the setup. so please don't make comments when you don't know.

He never stated that you did, he just made a statement.. which is true. So he does know ;)

What's your box tuned to/cubic ft. of the box? What's your SSF set to? how did you set each setting on the amp?

did you check your voltage at the amp? I know when my alt was going out it was giving me similar issues. unhook the sub and turn on the stereo see if the light stays green. have your dmm checking the voltage at the amp.

There is one case where I have personally seen an unabused coil break, that was a manufacturer defect. Every other thermal failure I've seen is simply too much power, there is no way around it.

I do know what I'm talking about, speakers are stupid, and they do what you tell them to.

What's your box tuned to/cubic ft. of the box? What's your SSF set to? how did you set each setting on the amp?

ssf is turned about 1/4 of the way up. gain is set a little less than 1/4 up, Phase switch set on 0. Im running 4 gauge power wire and 4 gauge ground. speaker wire from amp to driver is 10 or 12 gauge ( can't remember the exact size. as for what the box is tuned to, I would have to look it up. I can't remember, but 23hz sounds right

With that low of tuning and just guessing on your SSF you probably ripped something, somewhere. Knowing the internal volume would help, can't find that?

How did you have the coils wired to the amp?

You have dual 1 ohm coils, can't wire that to 1 ohm. You probably have it wired to .5 ohm and sending the amp into protect from low voltage or something like that.

How did you have the coils wired to the amp?

You have dual 1 ohm coils, can't wire that to 1 ohm. You probably have it wired to .5 ohm and sending the amp into protect from low voltage or something like that.

No, It's an Fi SSD 15" " Dual 2 Ohm"

And is wired like this video

No, if it's reading .7 ohm per coil it's dual 1 ohm coils. If it was dual 2 it would be reading about 1.4