djlilmikeny

Is My Fi Q Broken????

Hello forum. I have an FI Q sub which i have received on 7/15/2011. I finally got it professionally installed on 7/26/2011 by my local audio shop a few days after receiving my Audioque AQ1200 amp. It was playing fine until after about 5 hours of play time. The only extra option it has is the cooling package. I hear a weird rattling noise comming from the sub itself. I thought at first maybe it was my car rattling, or the box, but then i took the sub out and played it in free air for a few seconds and came to the conclusion that it was the sub. it sounds almost as if your hitting the dust cap with ur knuckles or the license plate is vibrating. other than that, the sub does still play, sounds solid except for that rattling noise which is completely messing up the total sound. so i dont believe its blown as i dont smell any odor or smoke. the louder u play, the louder the sound is. sounds like something is loose inside. the suspension still feels solid. What could be the problem??? Is this part of the breakin period??? Please help me!!

Sub: FI Q, Dual 2 ohm, Cooling Package, Red Dustcap

Amp: Audioque AQ1200

Running at 1 ohm load

Thank You!

-Mike

Edited by DJ LiL Mike

what are your box specs?

Sounds like the dust cap is coming unglued from the cone look for a small area around the dust cap where it joins. A little high strength flexible glue will fix it if it is.

try gently pushing down on the cone evenly in the middle and see if you can feel air coming out around the dustcap. be very careful when pushing down so you dont rub the coil

what are your box specs?

Thanks for the quick reply. Im using all of FI's recommendations. Im at 1 cuft ported to 32hz.

Sounds like the dust cap is coming unglued from the cone look for a small area around the dust cap where it joins. A little high strength flexible glue will fix it if it is.

The dustcap seems solid all around.

try gently pushing down on the cone evenly in the middle and see if you can feel air coming out around the dustcap. be very careful when pushing down so you dont rub the coil

I will have to try this tomorrow afternoon as it is really late. Thanks for the reply.

Ill also add that when i push down in the middle of the sub, on the FI decal/dustcap, with approximately 2-5 pounds of force, the sound stops.

maybe its because when your pushing down its blocking off an opening on the dustcap if thats what the issue is

Yea, hopefully its something i can just glue back...Ill check it tomorrow then post up right away. It can't be a major issue if its still playing good though right (other than the rattle)?? Doesnt sound like im gonna need a whole new sub im hoping...

Sounds like the dust cap man. really there isnt anything else that will "stop" rattling when its pushed down other than the dust cap.

check around the glue joint better, look closely.

hey guys. Thanks for all ur replies. It is the dustcap. the glue broke off on the bottom left. Whats the best way to fix it?? i just held the open section with a flat head screw driver and put a line of glue on the area. Im not even sure if i glued it down right because it was dark and it was really hard to have the section open to put the glue without ripping off the rest of the dust cap. Whats the best way to fix it?? Should i just rip off the whole dustcap, clean the old glue, and glue it back (if it comes off again)?? and what should i use to glue it?

15 minute epoxy will work fine.

Sounds great! Do you recommend removing the whole dustcap, clean the old glue off, then reseal it with the 15 minute epoxy?

Sounds great! Do you recommend removing the whole dustcap, clean the old glue off, then reseal it with the 15 minute epoxy?

I don't think you will be able to remove the dust cap without breaking it. I would just put some epoxy around it and if you can push some under where it released.

I don't think you will be able to remove the dust cap without breaking it. I would just put some epoxy around it and if you can push some under where it released.

alright, thanks! Ill try it tomorrow.