Doctor Q

Need help making sure of right decision.

Hello everyone, I will be getting a new car come this winter and won't be putting my current sound system into the new car. Instead, I decided I would take the subs and box out and put them in my room. I didn't want to use my car amp and have to find a power supply or any of that mess so I've been doing some research and I think I need something like the amp in the link below. First, a little background on my equipment. I'm running (4) 10" SSA Dcons off of a Sundown 1000D. Something funky was going on with the SSA subs when I was ordering them and instead of getting a 2-ohm DVC they had to give me 4-ohm SVC (I may be wrong with that but if aI recall correctly that is what it is)... anyway, the subs are wired to 1-ohm so I was wondering if this amp would be good to use with them:

http://www.amazon.com/QSC-RMX1850HD-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B0002GXXLA

Let me know what you guys think or if I am going about this the wrong way. Based off the research I've done, it seems like I could get around 300 watts to each sub if I wired them to 4-ohms with that amp. If you have any other suggestions for amps (especially if it is a cheaper alternative) please share.

Look forward to your help,

Thanks

DCON coils are S4 or D4 only, no D2 if I recall.

acording to the specs on that link ... That amp will not play at a 1 ohm load ... you will have to set this up at a 4 ohm load mono or 8 ohms per channel ...

hope this helps ...

just a suggestion bro ... best of luck ...

DCON coils are S4 or D4 only, no D2 if I recall.

I believe that is correct, for now at least.... however, i think a long time ago it was D2 and D4. They were making the switch from D2 to S4 when I ordered them (this was over a year ago). I have 4 of the 4-ohm SVC but would I be about to get two of these (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-4052) and wire 2 subs to each amp at 4-ohms.... That would give me approx. 230 watts rms to each sub. That is over 70% of the rating of the subs and if I recall correctly, one can get MOST of the subs potential from >70%. I would prefer a cheaper solution but this would be around $400.

Thanks

Personally I would go for something like THIS and run it 2ohm per channel.

Personally I would go for something like THIS and run it 2ohm per channel.

how could you wire that so that each channel was 2-0hm if there are 4 subs and they are all 4-ohm single voice coil? unless I'm missing something, that isn't possible

2 subs per channel, 4 ohms + 4 ohms = 2ohms

2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

2 subs per channel, 4 ohms + 4 ohms = 2ohms2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

See if this makes sense to you...Wiring diagram

I'm getting slow... Thanks Jaycee!!

What kind box do you have the subs in? A new box might help. Also Crown has a amp that you should look at. It is about the same price and the xo can be setup by your pc.

What kind box do you have the subs in? A new box might help. Also Crown has a amp that you should look at. It is about the same price and the xo can be setup by your pc.

ill have to look into that amp and the box is the one in my signature... its a ported box, roughly 4 cu. ft. if i recall and tuned to 31-32hz

One more question that I should have asked in my last post. Is this going to be used for music or movies?

The other thing to consider is putting the subs each in their own box and spreading them out will help to even out room modes. If you are going to put them back in a car at some point it might not be worth while to worry about. If this is just a temp thing the proaudio amps should have better resale value than most audio stuff.

Duanee

One more question that I should have asked in my last post. Is this going to be used for music or movies?

The other thing to consider is putting the subs each in their own box and spreading them out will help to even out room modes. If you are going to put them back in a car at some point it might not be worth while to worry about. If this is just a temp thing the proaudio amps should have better resale value than most audio stuff.

Duanee

i haven't decided if it will go back in a car at some point or not, but i think i'd like to keep it in the same box.... mainly because i don't have time now to build one (much less 4) new boxes.

as far as use.... it will be used mainly for music which is why the (approx) 32 hz tuning should work but hopefully its low enough that if i do watch a movie with it, it'll sound decent. what do you think?

You better have an extremely effective SSF if you are going to use a 32Hz tune and watch movies. Normally for a theater box you tune closer to 12Hz than 30. There will be a ton of effects in movies that are WAY below your tuning.

Thanks for the input on the amp. I may buy one like that for a "studio" setup very soon !

You better have an extremely effective SSF if you are going to use a 32Hz tune and watch movies. Normally for a theater box you tune closer to 12Hz than 30. There will be a ton of effects in movies that are WAY below your tuning.

allright, well i guess i'd just use it for music then and bring the subwoofer that came with the HTIB for the few occasions i watch a movie with this system.

Your HTIB sub is most likely tuned to 30 Hz. With a sub sonic filter below that. I'd use the DCON's with a ss filter and forget about the HTIB junk.

Duane