///M5

Pioneer h/u Ipod Control

Have a Pioneer 4100ub and associated Ipod adapter. I have tried to plug in a brand new Iphone and a first generation Ipod and neither "worked". Tried both the included Ipod to USB cable and one that was brought with. Both switched the h/u automatically from AUX to USB/Ipod but no sound came out of the stereo. Radio/CD/and front AUX are all 100% functional.

Of course all I did was connect them and have the owner of them start playing music. I don't own an Ipod and won't, but considering my boat already has the unit and will at least for the rest of the year I'd like to be able to use others. Is there some trick to using it? The h/u manual doesn't at all talk about connecting it. I might be around an Ipod tomorrow to test.

I will grab a USB stick and bring that out with me tomorrow tom make sure the USB portion is working.

Edit: This setup came with a boat I bought a week and ago.

pics of the boat?

\

pics of the boat?

\

Hey, that doesn't help. I haven't taken any yet...outside of this shitty one from my cell phone before I cleaned her up.

20110727195617506.jpg

I have had this random problem with iPods and iPhones. Usually when an update is performed on the device it works.

I have had this random problem with iPods and iPhones. Usually when an update is performed on the device it works.

Update on the Ipod?

Love the boat btw

Update on the Ipod?

Yes

Update on the Ipod?

Yes

Stupid question. Is that somewhat automatic? IE would most Ipods be tickled regularly to download an update or does Apple not do that.

Love the boat btw

Thanks, biggest one that can fit in my slip. Wish I could have my previous two boats instead, but that isn't fair.

When I plug my iPhone into my MacBook, if there is an update available it automatically asks me if I want to update. I have also had to replace one pioneer iPod cord. It did the same thing; it would read the iPod but wouldn't play any music.

Cord between the Ipod and the USB connector or a different one? Only ask since I tried two of those. :P

The one from the USB and iPod.

iPod touches and iPhones just don't play nice with Pioneer HU's. I never had any luck with my touch on my 4200. It was sporadic at best. I've got a video now and it works flawlessly. Go figure. Does your unit plug into the front of the face or is the adapter in the back? USB stick will work fine but its a PITA in my opinion. Just be sure to organize your music into folders well because when I used it it uses those folders rather than Artist etc.

iPod touches and iPhones just don't play nice with Pioneer HU's. I never had any luck with my touch on my 4200. It was sporadic at best. I've got a video now and it works flawlessly. Go figure. Does your unit plug into the front of the face or is the adapter in the back? USB stick will work fine but its a PITA in my opinion. Just be sure to organize your music into folders well because when I used it it uses those folders rather than Artist etc.

Plugs in the back...although there is a plug on the front, but considering it was wired I am sure that the last owner used an Ipod since he replaced the stereo in 2009 (or so it seems from the date on the back of it).

My music is organized in folders. All by albums. I've never downloaded any music or songs, just ripped my albums. ~4000 folders though so it won't be fitting on a USB stick, lol. Actually its in sub-folders as I have 8 genre master folders, then by artist, the by album.

My dad has the same problem with his iphone on his pioneer deck, then when i plug in my ipod it works just fine. I think it needs to update, once he did the update it worked fine for a little bit then it needed to be updated again.

Does it connect pretty fast?

<--realizes I have no patience...lol

Mine was pretty fast yes. iPod touch was kind of laggy, but my iPod video and usb was pretty responsive. If you don't have an ipod, usb is a decent option. Like I said, organize your music into folders well so you can navigate the usb stick easily.

Mine was pretty fast yes. iPod touch was kind of laggy, but my iPod video and usb was pretty responsive. If you don't have an ipod, usb is a decent option. Like I said, organize your music into folders well so you can navigate the usb stick easily.

most of the older ipods are compatible but like new ipod touches or iphones either connect and dont charge or something like that? And what kind of cable are you using the regular ipod cable or the "special" pioneer one?

i have a pioneer 4300 ub and had the same problem. i just updated the os to the latest update and it worked fine.

update. Usb stick works. I tried what I believe is the pioneer one that came with it and an apple one for cords. I think in three hours or so I'll be parked next to someone with an ipod so I'll try again

The only problem I have with using the Ipod Touch or Iphones with my Pioneer Hu is when they (my kids or their friends) do not charge the units up properly ...

The hu charges the units and then comes on automatically ... Other than that, I haven't had any problems ...

It works great with Flash drives and MP3 players ... Haven't tried plugging my BlackBerry up to it yet ...

I didnt check the model to see how old it is but if it's an older pioneer its software will not recognize a newer iPhone, or an iPhone at all

Plugs in the back...although there is a plug on the front, but considering it was wired I am sure that the last owner used an Ipod since he replaced the stereo in 2009 (or so it seems from the date on the back of it).

My music is organized in folders. All by albums. I've never downloaded any music or songs, just ripped my albums. ~4000 folders though so it won't be fitting on a USB stick, lol. Actually its in sub-folders as I have 8 genre master folders, then by artist, the by album.

Didn't notice this response on my phone last night. My HU has usb in the front as well as aux. There's no usb in the back, so it may be a little different. Use the cord Pioneer makes for the back. I have a friend with an older 7200 and he sticks with the Pioneer cord. It usually takes about 15 seconds for the iPod to boot up and connect when the iPod is completely shut off. If you've recently used it, it takes about 5 seconds. That was the case for my 4200 and a friends older Premier 7200. Sound like you've got the right idea with the folders. ;)

I found the trick to using my iPhone through my headunit is that I have to open up the iPod app where all my music is. Once there it acts just like an iPod and connects right away.