Notorious97200

I want more output from my BTL N2

Hi guys,

I currently run a Fi BTL N2 12" on a Sundown saz 3000 amp. I have no problem with the electrical, even if I know I may not push all the watts this amp can deliver !

My box was designed by Bromo of Eclectic Design (or something like that) : 2.1 ft3 with a slot port (32 hz tuning) firing through the (driver) side. The sub is firing up. The box is well braced too.

It sounds good, but I want more output !

I can have another box built easily, and I already own two 4" flared (on both ends) ports. Those ports are in a 3.2 ft3 box used for a Soundstream XXX 15", for now. But I can get it back fast. This box may be too big for the 12" btl. What do you think about it ?

I need some suggestions on a new box. It can have slot port or round ones.

The car is a 4 doors Toyota Auris hatchback, and I feel like too much bass is trapped in the back of the car !

I had a box with a slot port, with port and sub firing up, and I did not like it too much. It was not loud at all. It was with SSA subs (a 15" Icon and later a 15" Xcon). I tried a box with the 4" ports firing to the side and it was much better.

Do you think it would be better to have the box above the rear seats ? Right now it is just under them, but I don't know if it is imortant.

I'm waiting on suggestions.

Thanks.

I also own a second amp for the bass : a Sundown saz 1500 v1.

I can sell any of them, but I know the saz 3000 will give me more power, for sure !!!:rofl2:

How far are the ports away from the side of the car?

Have you ever tried sub/port back? Ever try running the sub out of phase to help get the bass up front?

How far are the ports away from the side of the car?

There is only one slot port, and it is about 8" away from the side of the car. maybe a little less.

Never tried sub up/port back : I am scared of the results on the trunk lid. I don't want to break anything in the door lock !

Out of phase ? Really ? I may try that at low volume !

If I have no more suggestions,or results, I will try to sell the 12"btl to get a 15" one. I already have a box for it !

Since you have a 3000d. What about two 12" woofers?

or you could just send it to Fi to get it reconed to a 15"

I live too far away to send it back and forth : shipping is soooo expensive to Martinique in the Caribbeans !!!

"Since you have a 3000d. What about two 12" woofers?" : I need to sell the sub first ! And why not ? But 2 (cheaper) subs may be more expensive than a single btl or Zcon, or Nightshade !

I will try to ask Ryan at Ram designs. I will see what is possible.

Out of phase ? Really ? I may try that at low volume !

really

Do you think I would mention it out of ignorance?

I guess those phase switches on subwoofer amplifiers are only meant to be used at low volume ;)

Do you think getting a 15" will be loud enough, yes it will increase your output but it wont be too much. Maybe 2-12"s might be the route, how much room do you have for an enclosure? Are you looking for a big increase in output?

Edouble : the ignorant in this case is ME. I know nothing about phase switch ! Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say !

I always try several enclosures for my subs. This one is the first I have for my btl.

I don't have room for a big box. Max : 3.5 ft3 net for 1 sub.

Shipping costs are always very expensive for me, so I don't want to order more than 1 sub for my personal use

Thanks.

I say get another 12inch btl and make a box with shit tone of port area and see how that turns out. I love the output of my bl's with tones of port area lot louder 2 the ear compared to the the past box with just half of the port area .

My btl is a D2. Won't be able to run 2 at 1 ohm !

I want a new box with more port area ! And maybe a little higher tuning, 34 hz.

You can run that 3000D at 1/2ohm all day if you keep the voltage up.

I don't think my car will like it ! I don't have enough money to run a better battery upfront, for now, and I can't afford a custom HO alt (I'd love to). They don't seem to make any for my car.

And I don't really have room for a big box and a battery in the back. It's hard to fit a 15" sub and box and batt in that cargo area, that's why I took a 12" sub.

Ryan, I will contact you for a new box for that btl. I have 2 psp 4" ports already !

what just a OEM alt and shit battery up front? I think that might be your problem right there. Perhaps buy a volt meter and see how things look under load.

pics of the car and setup might help as well.

what just a OEM alt and shit battery up front? I think that might be your problem right there. Perhaps buy a volt meter and see how things look under load.

No, the front battery is a big big Varta one !

My voltage stay strong.

I know my problem comes from the fact I listen to a lot of shitty mp3s, mostly reggae music, so the bass is not as loud as on rap songs on original cds.

On some songs it is so loud I must turn the bass down, but it's not so often !

I need to buy more cds ! And our choice is small here. I think I will order some on the web.

No, the front battery is a big big Varta one !

My voltage stay strong.

I know my problem comes from the fact I listen to a lot of shitty mp3s, mostly reggae music, so the bass is not as loud as on rap songs on original cds.

On some songs it is so loud I must turn the bass down, but it's not so often !

I need to buy more cds ! And our choice is small here. I think I will order some on the web.

Either way cant go wrong with a volt meter just to keep an eye. I myself have the same amp as well as two of those varta's with a HO alt. My bats are not the truck series but its their top line and I still get voltage drop.

does your car have a trunk; that in itself will take away a lot of volume.

Having said that I am looking to buy a N2 as well now u have me worried

I think more cone area is the way to go.

I have a voltmeter permanently in the car, and I check the rear batt regularly with another one.

My car is a Toyota hatchback. I have pics in my gallery, and a build log here.

I never said it was not loud, just that I want more output from it. ! I like to try different boxes for my subs. And I change subs often

Don't get me wrong : the N2 is a super great woofer ! It seems to be louder than the SSA Xcon 15" I had on the same amp (it was a Sundown saz 1500).

It's loud and sound good. Don't worry, you'll love it for sure.

But a lot of my friends run big 18" woofers or several 15" , so I can't compare to them !

I think more cone area is the way to go.

Totally agree !