Sign in to follow this  
NucFusion

difference btwn 1 and 1.25 cu ft vented box for dcon 10

I'm curious what the main sound difference would be between a 1 vs 1.25 cu ft box tuned to 30 hz? I'm trying to build a custom box in my fusion against the passenger side wall in my trunk. I can maybe get 1.2 cu ft if I run the port outside the box, otherwise I'm looking at a net of closer to 1 with a round port.

Alo, how important is it for the port to fire out on the same plane as the woofer? Would it be ok to let it fire out the side toward the rear seats with the woofer firing across the trunk?

Thanks

From what I know, as long as you are within the manufacturer recommendations , it will play correctly.

But the bigger size box will be more linear. The smaller may have a peakier response.

Some more informed people will help you better, for sure !

The difference is pretty minimal as far as output is concerned. According to WinISD you'd be looking at a difference of around 1-1.5db less output in the smaller enclosure (which is pretty much negligible) over a very narrow bandwidth in the low 30's to high 20's, group delay is a little better in the smaller enclosure. So you're not really losing much of anything by using the smaller enclosure.

^^so helpful... I need to get and use this WinISD

Port firing direction depends on the vehicle. In trunk applications I prefer port and sub firing towards the trunk.

Edited by B_I_B

I have a box now that is 1.25 cu ft tuned to 32 hz. It was built to go behind the seat and fire back toward the trunk. Normally, this is how I have always positioned my subs in a trunk. The big issue is the positon sounds terrible. It is like 10 db louder at 38-45 hz then it is a 65 hz. The group delay is really high. I was beginning to think the sub just wasn't what I as expecting.

I decided to try some different positions with the box, eventhough its big and traezoidal shaped. I found that it sounded the best firing across the trunk in the rear corner, so I'm trying to squeeze out enough airspace for a vented enclosure instead of going sealed.

Brad is correct, the overall difference is minimal. We provide a range and if people can fit the larger sizes to pick up a pinch of efficiency, then great. If not (as said above) the smaller size is also very good, especially for the Dcon as it is very at home in smaller ported enclosures.

Brad is correct

Aren't I always..... :D

Brad is correct

Aren't I always..... :D

:ehh:

:fing34: