Sign in to follow this  
MikeMartel

Over-exaggeration

So, I was just looking up on Kijiji (Canadian classifieds) and somebody is looking to trade his Two 14"? PG Competition subwoofers for a wakeboard. Anyways, he tried to say that these subs get up to 200db off of 400 watts. I just thought this was pretty funny.

Post some exaggerations you found hilarious? :D

:WTFBubble: lol that's funny.

A single 18" hitting 180 mark. Oh wait...

I was reading on some other audio forum and this guy wondered why his sub was bottiming out.

They asked him what it was tuned to and he said somethin like "did all the calculations and about 23hz."

I was like geee-bus, that bish shouldn't EVER bottom out lol

buy them!!!

:WTFBubble: I guess I need a turbo box.

:WTFBubble: I guess I need a turbo box.

Haha maybe the "turbo" adds 10 extra deebeez!!! :P

Probably referrering to a Pro Box that has a turbo bass box(I think that's what it is called).

So at least he has one of the better built prefab boxes, but still 150dB out of a prefab? Isn't common unless you spend a good bit of time testing or just plain lucky.

A single 18" hitting 180 mark. Oh wait...

what on 24000 wattssss no wayyyyyyy

I do not think it would be hard to break 150 with a pro box. I've seen a pair of L7 twelves in a pro box on ~2k do 146 at the headrest at a Meca show earlier this year. Increase the cone area to 15s (maybe something more spl oriented) and double/triple the power and I think a 150 is quite possible. This was in an extended cab S10 and probably isn't very common, not trying to argue this.

I do not think it would be hard to break 150 with a pro box. I've seen a pair of L7 twelves in a pro box on ~2k do 146 at the headrest at a Meca show earlier this year. Increase the cone area to 15s (maybe something more spl oriented) and double/triple the power and I think a 150 is quite possible. This was in an extended cab S10 and probably isn't very common, not trying to argue this.

I didn't say it was impossible. I know people who have took a probox for a 8" and done 145s. But it took plenty of testing to get it there though.

But for the most part, a probox and a noob wont equal 150dB.

That amp is like 1100 rms on the sub channel and the birth sheets usually say around 1200-1250. Ive got one in my trunk. Think those subs with that amp can do 150? If so Im keeping my amp :WTFBubble:

That amp is like 1100 rms on the sub channel and the birth sheets usually say around 1200-1250. Ive got one in my trunk. Think those subs with that amp can do 150? If so Im keeping my amp :WTFBubble:

If your talking about the Memphis, those amps are quiet nice. But I doubt it will do a 150, not saying its not possible, but sure ain't as easy as buying a probox and 2 12s.

I actually see it being difficult to do a 150 with 1200RMS for the most part.

If your talking about the Memphis, those amps are quiet nice. But I doubt it will do a 150, not saying its not possible, but sure ain't as easy as buying a probox and 2 12s.

As you and many others know very well, every vehicle is different, one setup in vehicle A could only yield 140db verse vehicle B yielding 146db, etc. Seat positioning, vents closed, window / door positioning will all vary the score.

But on to my point, I drive a volvo wagon, seems like an easy car to get loud, maybe it is :P

I have a 8.5cuft ported enclosure with 3 6" aeros, 35hz tuning, 2 15" xcons (subs up, ports back), and using a saz3000d gained down on near stock electrical. I clamped about 1200watts total and only managed a 146.7dB at 40hz.

So here you have a "hatch back vehicle", notorious for being loud, a fair amount more cone area then 2 12s, just about the same power, and a nice big efficient box, and I didn't get near 150...

Living proof right here. :P

And obviously changes to the box could be made in my setup to improve the score, but were not talking about changing anything here when your talking about using a prefab :D

As you and many others know very well, every vehicle is different, one setup in vehicle A could only yield 140db verse vehicle B yielding 146db, etc. Seat positioning, vents closed, window / door positioning will all vary the score.

But on to my point, I drive a volvo wagon, seems like an easy car to get loud, maybe it is :P

I have a 8.5cuft ported enclosure with 3 6" aeros, 35hz tuning, 2 15" xcons (subs up, ports back), and using a saz3000d gained down on near stock electrical. I clamped about 1200watts total and only managed a 146.7dB at 40hz.

So here you have a "hatch back vehicle", notorious for being loud, a fair amount more cone area then 2 12s, just about the same power, and a nice big efficient box, and I didn't get near 150...

And obviously changes to the box could be made in my setup to improve the score, but were not talking about changing anything here when your talking about using a prefab :D

Living proof? I didn't see any.

Ok, I'll go into more detail but I didn't think it was actually called for.

Take a CRX, which is known for one of the loudest street cars in the USA. Take a 1200RMS rated amp, not clamped, and a probox with whatever cone area you want. And I bet you can't do a 150 legal in dB drag.

I never said it wasn't possible, but following exactly what was posted on Craiglist, would be difficult. And that's not changing the key part, the box.

And BTW, I've did a 146.4 in a trunk with half the cone area, and 1/4 of the rated power you have.

Take a CRX, which is known for one of the loudest street cars in the USA. Take a 1200RMS rated amp, not clamped, and a probox with whatever cone area you want. And I bet you can't do a 150 legal in dB drag.

I never said it wasn't possible, but following exactly what was posted on Craiglist, would be difficult. And that's not changing the key part, the box.

And BTW, I've did a 146.4 in a trunk with half the cone area, and 1/4 of the rated power you have.

My point was, sometimes it's not as easy as people think it is to break 150. Apparently you couldn't figure that out from my post.

here is a quote a guy posted on a different forum.

I have two good 12 inch square subs. Hifonics atlas(as12sq) 900w rms a peice with 2000w Soundstream amp (soundstream pcx2000d)

The box is very strong, cost $180 itself. Hits 150 dbs at least. I have seen theses hit 157.

fail.png

This makes me proud to say I live in SC. /Sarcasism.

:Shakeshead:

i love the first part, "i have a 15" sundown audio SA-12"

Edited by ChevyBoy95

fail.png

This makes me proud to say I live in SC. /Sarcasism.

:Shakeshead:

i love the first part, "i have a 15" sundown audio SA-12"

wow 15...sa-12???

My point was, sometimes it's not as easy as people think it is to break 150. Apparently you couldn't figure that out from my post.

Yeah, I totally read it wrong.