SMpaintball78

tuning for solo x 10's

well my solo x's will be here monday, so id like to get started on box plans. my max dimensions are 50"wide,21"tall, and 15deep which if used all that with no port is 7.388 now i know once i add port, and displacment of the sub, it will go down. id like to get atleast 3.0cf for each sub.the more the better lol as for tuning, im not so sure. i like lows so i was thinking around 32Hz?? if anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.im building 2 seperate boxes so when i sell them, they will be much easier to sell. the recommended ported box for 1 10 is 2.25-6.0cf. as for an amp, i am saving for a audiopipe 3000d (315 shipped w.warrenty) or if i can find a better amp used for around $350 ill buy that. i know that there are a few good deals going on right now with some amps on here but like i said, im saving and wont be able to purchase until at the earliest next month. let me know what you guys think! :eek5wavey:

Edited by Lantz

Try out what you had in mind and if it doesn't please you, adjust accordingly. It's always up to each individual listener

Try out what you had in mind and if it doesn't please you, adjust accordingly. It's always up to each individual listener

but if i screw down and glue the port, how do adjust it?

Building another box :) I'm sure you'll be pleased the first time. Unless you get creative. Aero's can be adjustable also.

Building another box :) I'm sure you'll be pleased the first time. Unless you get creative. Aero's can be adjustable also.

ya but that would be a waist of wood and money lol. when i built the 2 boxes for my mtx 9500's, i used mtx's recommendations and they had it tuned WAYYY to high. it was like 45 or something. anyways, i took a piece of mdf, and stuck it in the box and extended the port inside by like 3 or 4 inches to make the tuning lower which worked, but it looked wack as hell when u looked inside the box. but sounded great lol. ill just start out the tuning at 32hz and hopefully it wont be to low or im fucked. but if its still to high, i can fix it lol.

one more thing. does in matter where i mount the sub? i mean like does it have to be centered on the front or can i move it left or right? im doing a L-shaped port

3 cubes per 10? That seems huge.

3 cubes per 10? That seems huge.

kicker calls for 2.25-6.0 lol for 1 10

I agree lol that's so big for a 10" subwoofer, but if you're sure that's what they call for... more power to you. and 32 hz should be fine if you're going for some lows!

I agree lol that's so big for a 10" subwoofer, but if you're sure that's what they call for... more power to you. and 32 hz should be fine if you're going for some lows!

ya i LOVE lows lol

well i have been doing some thinking and calculations, and i am highly considering just doing 1 big box for both where they would shard the same airspace with 1 big port. if i used all my max dimensions, i came up with 6.418CF before port displacement. but with 1 3"wide port, id have to have 17.67" of port length to achieve 32Hz. after port displacement, i would get 5.995 for the subs to share so roughly 2.97CF for each sub. kicker calls a minimum of 2.25 for 1 so this should work right? :peepwall:

update. one more ?, my port wall #1 would be 9.50" deep and the subs mounting depth is 8 3/8 so is it ok to mount a sub that close to the back wall? theres a little more than 1 in between the back of the sub, and the back port wall

Edited by Lantz

Are you modeling this with anything or just guessing? I use WinISD. If you would like to find out what your tuning and box size changes it is a great place to start.

Are you modeling this with anything or just guessing? I use WinISD. If you would like to find out what your tuning and box size changes it is a great place to start.

i got on the12volt.com and they have calculaters for ports with tuning, and sub box airspace. did u have to pay for WinISD? im not really sure what it is? id love to draw this up in 3D but im not very good with drafting lol.

Edited by Lantz

WinISD is free modeling software. There are several versions. The one to get is .7 if you have never used it before it has a bit of a learning curve. Solo x models nice. What are you wanting out of it?

Duane

well i have been doing some thinking and calculations, and i am highly considering just doing 1 big box for both where they would shard the same airspace with 1 big port. if i used all my max dimensions, i came up with 6.418CF before port displacement. but with 1 3"wide port, id have to have 17.67" of port length to achieve 32Hz. after port displacement, i would get 5.995 for the subs to share so roughly 2.97CF for each sub. kicker calls a minimum of 2.25 for 1 so this should work right? :peepwall:

update. one more ?, my port wall #1 would be 9.50" deep and the subs mounting depth is 8 3/8 so is it ok to mount a sub that close to the back wall? theres a little more than 1 in between the back of the sub, and the back port wall

seems like a realllly small port, might wanna go with aero ports to save volume

seems like a realllly small port, might wanna go with aero ports to save volume

i was highly considering it, BUT i know absolutly nothing about aero ports. i dont know how to calculate how big they need to be or anything. thats y i chose slot port over aero.

well i got the solo x's today. and damn these things look mean haha. ill post pics up tomorrow after work.

Which ones did you get? Dual 4ohm or Dual 2ohm?

More port area!! That's what held back your hcca.

Edited by ricksi30

Why 32Hz?

Because everyone is doing it! LOL its just a guess as far as I can tell.

Fwiw. It should give him a 4 db peak around tuning in 3 cf.

Which ones did you get? Dual 4ohm or Dual 2ohm?

\

dual 1's

Why 32Hz?

just a guess. and the other boxes i built at 32hz sounded good. i love the lowes;) haha

how much port area do you have?

not sure how to calcualte it. i was going to do a 3" wide port that 17.67"'s long and that makes it tuned at 32hz. i cant go any bigger than 3"'s wide or i wont have enough room for the sub. it will be hitting the back port wall. even at 3"'s, it only leaves like a little over a inch between the back of the sub, and port wall.....