KennethColeman

How much power can the FI 15&18" BTL really handle?

So I ordered 2 18" FI BTL's and I'm trying to figure out exactly how much power these subs can hold.They say that their rated at 2000RMS but I have heard people putting 3000 on them no problem.The subs will be fully loaded and I was thinking about putting 1 Sundown 3500 on each sub.Is that too much?

Fully loaded they can take more power but it depends on what enclosure/car/sp or daily setup... Give more info as to what your looking to do&use with the btl to make 3500 watts an option

If you gotta ask..

Speakers do what you tell them to do, in the environment that you put them in..soooo if they burn up then you did something wrong.

There's a reason why RMS is there :)

That's funny you replied to this Nick.I was going to email you tonight about that upgrade while we wait for the 18" baskets.You just had to send me an updated PayPal for the difference.On the subject though Box space is not a problem for 2 18"s right now and I need it to be both daily and SPL since I drive my car daily and I go to carshows here in Italy to compete.That's why I asked about them handling more than RMS because it would only be for burps at these events.If Nick says there's a risk of frying it then I would definitely not be doing that Sundown 3500.

If you gotta ask..

Speakers do what you tell them to do, in the environment that you put them in..soooo if they burn up then you did something wrong.

There's a reason why RMS is there :)

:sleepwerd4: :sleepwerd4:

That's funny you replied to this Nick.I was going to email you tonight about that upgrade while we wait for the 18" baskets.You just had to send me an updated PayPal for the difference.On the subject though Box space is not a problem for 2 18"s right now and I need it to be both daily and SPL since I drive my car daily and I go to carshows here in Italy to compete.That's why I asked about them handling more than RMS because it would only be for burps at these events.If Nick says there's a risk of frying it then I would definitely not be doing that Sundown 3500.

I do some email from home, and check the forums at around 5am..reply to whats needed to be replied to.

When I get to the shop..at 7am, then I start to handle all of the other stuff from there because all of your information is on the office computer, not my laptop.

1.21 jiggawatts

bttfdocaf0.jpg

stick with 2500, you wont hear a difference between 3500 and 2500

Thanks. As you can see I'm trying to put together a system from scatch here and just trying to make sure I have everything I will need and the right stuff. Now to figure out what highs to get.

If I were you id get the 3500's and just turn the gain down for daily, so you'd have the headroom for comps.

im running 2 18" fully loaded BTLs on 2 Hifonics brz2400.1..... 2400 watts rms to each sub... :)

you can get the amps on ebay for 320 a piece... thats how much i paid for mine

Edited by b00sted

Just remeber this, if you exceed the RMS rating of the sub you will overheat the voicecoil.

The gain setting on the amplifier has nothing to do whatsover with how much power the amplifier can produce...... So the whole "keep the gain down" is just false security.....

If you have a sub that is thermally rated to handle no more than 2000 watts, you can destroy it with a 2000 watt amplifer 100% of the time if you really try... This is true for any subwoofer that has a realistic 2000 watt thermal rating....