Sign in to follow this  
dpgriff

Problem with front speakers

A few months ago I replaced all speakers in my car. I have 4" pioneer TS-A1072r speakers in the front doors and 6.5" Pioneer TS-A1673r on the rear deck. The rear speakers are fantastic but the front ones are extremely quite in comparison. The front speakers are also a lot quieter than the crappy stock speakers. At normal listening levels the majority of sound is coming from the back speakers. The front speakers only reach a reasonable level after turning the volume up more than halfway. Since my headunit only has one output (which i'm using from my sub amp) I cant adjust the fader without it affecting the sub. This was my first time installing speakers. On the rear speakers I was able to slide the wires off the speakers terminals but the front ones were soldered on so I had to cut the wires and attach new connector things.

I'm questioning whether or not having the speaker sealed off or not is part of the problem. I've included pictures to help explain what i'm talking about.

speakeredit.jpg

speakerdrawing.png

The first picture is a side by side of the new/old speakers. The second one is a drawing of the new speaker. As you can see in the drawing, the yellow is the car door and the red shows where there is open space between the speaker and the mounting hole. I hadn't thought much about this when I was putting the speakers in. You can see in the first picture that it looks like the old speaker is attached to a plate that may have sealed off the open space? I wasn't paying attention to this stuff during the install. I dont have the old speakers either.

Need more info. Are they the same ohm rating and could you have the positive and neg. reversed? Also are the deck speakers the same ohm?

Check to see that the speakers are in phase and id cut a bracket to seal up the doors for the speakers... having the open space around the speaker leaking air is not hlping you

Do you have the new speakers amplified? If not I bet that is your problem. You stock speakers have a lower power rating than your new aftermarket ones, so they did not need an amp to get loud. Put some power to them and they will get loud. With an amplifier you can adjust the power ratio between the front and back also.

The car is a '97 corolla. The speakers are running off the headunit which is an alpine-cde 100. Both sets of speakers are 3 way pioneer a-series. 6.5" - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1673R , 4" - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1072R . Both pairs are 4ohms. The 4" are 20/150 watts and the 6.5" are 35/220 watt. My headunit puts out 18w x 4 @4 i believe which should be sufficient for the front speakers right? I would have thought that the larger speakers would be harder to move. When you say out of phase do you mean that I should swap the wires?

The car is a '97 corolla. The speakers are running off the headunit which is an alpine-cde 100. Both sets of speakers are 3 way pioneer a-series. 6.5" - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1673R , 4" - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1072R . Both pairs are 4ohms. The 4" are 20/150 watts and the 6.5" are 35/220 watt. My headunit puts out 18w x 4 @4 i believe which should be sufficient for the front speakers right? I would have thought that the larger speakers would be harder to move. When you say out of phase do you mean that I should swap the wires?

Yes unless they said to hook them up the way you have them.

What are the others?

6x9s dont give ohms? they are 4ohm like the front

Do you have the new speakers amplified? If not I bet that is your problem. You stock speakers have a lower power rating than your new aftermarket ones, so they did not need an amp to get loud. Put some power to them and they will get loud. With an amplifier you can adjust the power ratio between the front and back also.

No

Put the speakers on baffles, your probably getting some cancellation not having the rear wave isolated from the front.

I'm pretty sure I didn't mix up the positive and negatives. I just remembered that the connectors are differently sizes so they only fit on the correct terminal. Ill recheck the connections I made and see if I can find a way to seal of the speakers.

What is with all the -1s?

Trim rings ... :fing34:

This,

The holes are causing a lot of cancellation which means it plays quieter then normal.You need to have a better mounting ring.

Is there anywhere that I can buy these trim rings or will I have to construct something myself to seal them off? The foam baffles behind the speaker would serve the same purpose right?

I wish I could put components in but it seems hard to find 4" comps + I dont know where i'd put the tweeter though.

Searching around I found out that this is a common problem because the front speakers are actually 5", not 5 1/4" though. 4" speakers fit but have that space between the speaker and mounting. Someone suggested using weather stripping which I will have to try out. I should have went with the polk db501s up front.

Edited by dpgriff

Searching around I found out that this is a common problem because the front speakers are actually 5", not 5 1/4" though. 4" speakers fit but have that space between the speaker and mounting. Someone suggested using weather stripping which I will have to try out. I should have went with the polk db501s up front.

You could try Metra they are a company that makes adapters.

You could try Metra they are a company that makes adapters.

I looked around your going to have to make something. good luck